Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

46 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I don't understand why so many here are high on him, and I wonder if it's nothing more than just not seeing him play enough to not like him! 😂

But since coming to Villa he has played 650 minutes in the Premier League and has not managed a single shot on target. He's averaged 0.97 shot creating actions per 90 over two seasons and 0.76 this season. That's basically the same output to the attack Tyrone Mings has had. Defensively, he's offered little. 

How you can judge him on those kinds of numbers given the limited minutes he's had is just insane to me. He's had very few actual starts, meaning the pressure is always on in these little cameos and he's had little time to adjust to the pace of the league. He looks technically very capable, and intelligent.

I'm not sure what you expect his stats to be like. If you want to judge purely on that, at least be fair and look at what he did in France, where he actually had proper runs in a team.

Edited by Tom13

He seems a decent player but the coaching staff from two regimes don't see it. Although he was mainly injured during Smith's tenure. 

Just now, Xela said:

He seems a decent player but the coaching staff from two regimes don't see it. Although he was mainly injured during Smith's tenure. 

Fit though mate 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How you can judge him on those kinds of numbers given the limited minutes he's had is just insane to me. He's had very few actual starts, meaning the pressure is always on in these little cameos and he's had little time to adjust to the pace of the league. He looks technically very capable, and intelligent.

I'm not sure what you expect his stats to be like. If you want to judge purely on that, at least be fair and look at what he did in France, where he actually had proper runs in a team.

Fair enough points, but Ligue 1 isn't the Premier League. The top of the league is fine, but the bottom 75% is lower level.

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Instead of all the 'bore you to tears' type questions that Gerrard normally gets asked, why doesn't someone say to him "How come Morgan Sanson doesn't get minutes? Does he have a future at the club, and if not, why not?"

"What's your thinking not starting Buendia when he's impressed every time he's been on the pitch?"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, I'm so on board with this. 

Some of the questions that get asked are just mundane and completely pointless. Half of the questions are about Liverpool (which I think annoys Gerrard in fairness) and none are actually about the problems within the squad, the pitch and the tactics within the games themselves. Here's a list of questions I'd ask if I was there (and this is coming from someone that 100% supports Gerrard)...

1. Why do you feel you have to wait until after 65/70 mins to make a substitution when it could be argued that the personnel on the pitch aren't performing?
2. Why can't Buendia get a start when he consistently puts in MOTM performances from the bench? Do you feel he can't play with Coutinho? If not, why not? Will we therefore need to move our record signing on in the Summer? 
3. McGinn looks tired and seems to be struggling with the possession side of things, something you pride your teams on. With the season drawing to a close, would it not be worth seeing what Carney or Tim can do? 
4. Sanson is the forgotten man, as he was in the previous regime. I assume he will be moved on in the Summer? 
5. Leon Bailey seems to have lost a yard of pace. Is that due to his injury? Are we hopeful of seeing that pace again? One might even argue Steven, that he doesn't fit into your formation as you don't wide players. Is this an issue?
6. Why are we insistent on playing two strikers and a formation that very few other teams play. It seems to leave us short in the wide areas. Could it be argued that we need to transition back to a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1?
7. Are we signing Boubakar Kamara? 
8. Will we finally sign the two defensive midfielders we need this Summer and have needed for the past 3 years?
9. Who does your tampons?

If you know, you know. 

If you were a journalist, your access to press conferences would be revoked pretty sharpish for asking meaningful questions.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Brought in as a squad player? What makes you think that? He was one of the top midfielders in Ligue 1. Seems odd to make a move like that just for squad depth.

DS just saw him as a squad player.

Gerrard gave him some starts early on but again swiftly reached same conclusion e.g. he's not as good as McGinn or Ramsey. Or Luiz.

So yes squad player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, I'm so on board with this. 

Some of the questions that get asked are just mundane and completely pointless. Half of the questions are about Liverpool (which I think annoys Gerrard in fairness) and none are actually about the problems within the squad, the pitch and the tactics within the games themselves. Here's a list of questions I'd ask if I was there (and this is coming from someone that 100% supports Gerrard)...

1. Why do you feel you have to wait until after 65/70 mins to make a substitution when it could be argued that the personnel on the pitch aren't performing?
2. Why can't Buendia get a start when he consistently puts in MOTM performances from the bench? Do you feel he can't play with Coutinho? If not, why not? Will we therefore need to move our record signing on in the Summer? 
3. McGinn looks tired and seems to be struggling with the possession side of things, something you pride your teams on. With the season drawing to a close, would it not be worth seeing what Carney or Tim can do? 
4. Sanson is the forgotten man, as he was in the previous regime. I assume he will be moved on in the Summer? 
5. Leon Bailey seems to have lost a yard of pace. Is that due to his injury? Are we hopeful of seeing that pace again? One might even argue Steven, that he doesn't fit into your formation as you don't wide players. Is this an issue?
6. Why are we insistent on playing two strikers and a formation that very few other teams play. It seems to leave us short in the wide areas. Could it be argued that we need to transition back to a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1?
7. Are we signing Boubakar Kamara? 
8. Will we finally sign the two defensive midfielders we need this Summer and have needed for the past 3 years?
9. Who does your tampons?

If you know, you know. 

Something apparently Neville got when managing in Spain. Their post matches are brutal.

This country just seems so poor in comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

DS just saw him as a squad player.

Gerrard gave him some starts early on but again swiftly reached same conclusion e.g. he's not as good as McGinn or Ramsey. Or Luiz.

So yes squad player.

No. 

He was handed the number 8 shirt by Smith and was firmly in the frame to be a regular starter. 

Injury, covid, the rise of Ramsey and Gerrards appointment put paid to that.

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

No. 

He was handed the number 8 shirt by Smith and was firmly in the frame to be a regular starter. 

Well Smith's reign ended with Sanson chucking a water bottle at one of the staff by all accounts and then he was exiled for the next game v West Ham so I think it's too easy to say he would've been a regular starter if Dean had just stayed.

When we were losing 5 in a row Sanson wasn't starting. Neither was Ramsey.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

No. 

Injury,  Covid, Ramsey yes, but non of this is on Gerrard.

really wanted him to be involved this season, i do feel he will go on to succeed elsewhere. for the sake of his own career and self esteem he has to leave this summer. there will be plenty of offers for him i'm sure, both in the prem and abroad, so im sure something suitable to all parties can be agreed upon. if Gerrard dosen't want him around, and the player is obviously not happy, then we might aswell take the 15 or so mil from this and 15 mil from targett and use it for a first teamer.

sad that it seems that this is the end for him, i feel the club hadnt been stabilised for that long when he arrived and we needed to secure safety and then the injury followed by managerial change, its just all gone wrong for him.

• Like 1

So looks like he's made his last appearance for us then, an unused sub the last 5 games. That last appearance incidentally was Wolves at the beginning of April, which he started and we voted him MOTM.

Not quite Buendia levels of head scratching, but another strange one from our manager.

• Sad 1

Â