Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Smith and Gerrard are both wrong to not play him IMO. 

I almost hope he goes to Brighton or someone just so I can keep more of an eye on how he gets on, because I'm certain there a PL player in there.

• Like 4

It's not that he's not good enough for our level. He certainly is. The issue is Ramsey is our best midfielder and he's only 20. You aren't getting ahead of him.

McGinn is one of the only leaders we have. He has very high energy levels and he is clearly one who takes instructions from the Coach and applies them on the pitch. Be it helping Luiz more and not getting forward as much, or swapping sides to get physical with McNeil against Burnley. He's one of the players we never see what he brings but coaches do. 

Then you have Luiz who is much better suited to 8. He's better than Sanson imo and I'd say most peoples. Sanson is just unlucky he has players like those fit. Then players like Carney who need game time and so are looked to off the bench a bit more for their development. 

Sanson was bought when we had just McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba as first team midfielders. JJ had a handful of mins. He's been unlucky and just needs a fresh start somewhere. The signing we will probably make in 8 if we do will be a very experienced player who has proven quality better than Sanson, McGinn, Luiz etc.. 

• Like 3

A real mystery as to why he hasn't played more here. I was just looking at fbref and the defensive stats for the team. He's near the top in most metrics (per 90 of course) - pressures, successful pressure, tackles won per 90, passes, interceptions. In the top 2 or 3 for them all. I mean for a team that is meant to have a soft midfield it just baffles me as to why he's not been used more.

9 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

A real mystery as to why he hasn't played more here. I was just looking at fbref and the defensive stats for the team. He's near the top in most metrics (per 90 of course) - pressures, successful pressure, tackles won per 90, passes, interceptions. In the top 2 or 3 for them all. I mean for a team that is meant to have a soft midfield it just baffles me as to why he's not been used more.

Are you looking at the scouting reports? Because they only have those for his time in ligue 1. He hasn't played enough since he's come here to get a a scouting report for his time in the PL.

And if you tried to manually compare his stats, the small sample size means he'll be at the top of a lot of stat categories, but also at the bottom of a lot of others. 

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Are you looking at the scouting reports? Because they only have those for his time in ligue 1. He hasn't played enough since he's come here to get a a scouting report for his time in the PL.

And if you tried to manually compare his stats, the small sample size means he'll be at the top of a lot of stat categories, but also at the bottom of a lot of others. 

Just the numbers for this squad for this season. I know that the sample size is small but he's hardly going to change his style dramatically with a run of games. It also corresponds to the stats from Ligue 1 and also what I see when he plays - a busy player who puts himself about.

Edited by sparrow1988

2 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Seemed like a game perfect for him to come on with his energy and composure on the ball. 

Surely must be off in the summer which is a real shame.

Yep a pulsating game - would seem like the ideal opportunity for an under used but very experienced professional. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's not that he's not good enough for our level. He certainly is. The issue is Ramsey is our best midfielder and he's only 20. You aren't getting ahead of him.

McGinn is one of the only leaders we have. He has very high energy levels and he is clearly one who takes instructions from the Coach and applies them on the pitch. Be it helping Luiz more and not getting forward as much, or swapping sides to get physical with McNeil against Burnley. He's one of the players we never see what he brings but coaches do. 

Then you have Luiz who is much better suited to 8. He's better than Sanson imo and I'd say most peoples. Sanson is just unlucky he has players like those fit. Then players like Carney who need game time and so are looked to off the bench a bit more for their development. 

Sanson was bought when we had just McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba as first team midfielders. JJ had a handful of mins. He's been unlucky and just needs a fresh start somewhere. The signing we will probably make in 8 if we do will be a very experienced player who has proven quality better than Sanson, McGinn, Luiz etc.. 

Think that's a very good summary, and pretty clearly right. He's mostly just been unlucky. ATEOTD you can only get 14 players on the pitch during a game. 

He's French and therefore the rules of the universe dictate it won't work out for him at Villa. We could sign Mbappé and within a couple of weeks he'd be on the bench struggling for a game behind Keinan Davis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The worst thing that is constantly put in here about Sanson was that he was never picked by Smith. Despite the fact he was for 11 games when he joined, off the bench and then starting. He got inured and missed the rest of the season. He was then injured for the beginning of this one and Smith was sacked before he was fit again. It shows how lazy some of the comment are. 

If Sanson had been fit for the whole season I think we would have seen far less of JJ as he wouldn't be getting as much game time as he's had. 

I too have find myself to be quite frustrated by the situation surrounding Sanson, as he has looked good in his handful of appearances. I do though fully believe, that two professional managers, surrounded by massive professionals coaching staffs, who see him in training every single day, are better judges of if he is good enough or not.

The last player I felt like this about was Carles Gil, was so frustrated that he didn't play more, as he looked great in his cameos. He turned out to be quite sh#t

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

He's French and therefore the rules of the universe dictate it won't work out for him at Villa. We could sign Mbappé and within a couple of weeks he'd be on the bench struggling for a game behind Keinan Davis.

Dinge isn’t french then?

It looked like a good signing, but injuries haven't helped him to settle or to claim a regular starting place. I guess he may by now be thinking the PL and Villa Park, isn't for him (much like Jordan Veretout did). Whilst the club won't be likely to stand in his way, we need to ensure we do get a reasonable bid for him and also agree a sell on percentage, in case he does eventually begin to look like the player we thought that we had signed. 

Â