Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You do not know that for certain 

Of course not. But there's far more evidence, and common sense, behind them NOT making us play than them making us play.

The season should be scrapped. This is farcical. Constant outbreaks, teams playing 4 games in a week, injuries all over the place. Yes we’re doing well but it’s still a hollow existence with no crowds.

I don’t see how this season can possibly get finished as it’s getting worse not better.

• Like 4

If we were forced to play Tottenham or they get a walk-over, then naturally they would need to give us a walkover victory over Newcastle, and Everton over City etc. Because the presedence set is that teams have been able to get matches postponed becuase of a covid outbreak in the squad.

It would be quite scandalous if we were subject to different rules than other teams

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

No mate no one cares about the summer  tournaments. They only pull in the highest rated viewing figures of any sport in the world, bring the country to a standstill for a month and get people who don’t even like football watching the games.

But yeah, who really cares? There’s Burnley vs West Brom next week and that’s the priority.

The absurdity of Euro this summer is that we're in the middle of a pandemic and they are choosing to let god knows how many countries be hosts. It's the absolute worst way to conduct a championship during a pandemic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slowandlow said:

I'm a bit worried the PL will see us putting a team out for a cup game and expect the same for PL games

I know they're different competitions and there is precedent for league games to be cancelled but the schedule is getting increasingly tight. At some point they're going  to have to start enforcing their original rules unless the season is delayed in totality.

We have Spurs and City in the next week or so, the goal diference for both teams could be rapidly improved. Liverpool and United will not allow that to happen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Can't we just cancel Euro bloody 20/21 - does anyone really care about those competitions?

That would allow the domestic leagues the breathing room to finish later.

Im sure the people of the countries that qualified care. Finland, North Macedonia, Scotland who dont qualify often will be chuffed that nobidy cares they about them 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We have Spurs and City in the next week or so, the goal diference for both teams could be rapidly improved. Liverpool and United will not allow that to happen

Agreed, and as other have mentioned the precedent has been set that games will be rescheduled. They won't go against that as not only does it open them up to liability by applying different outcomes but also it then sets the precedent that is what will happen going forwards and they'll be terrified the next team to have issues will be Liverpool/United or some other high interest (revenue generating) team. United u23s v Liverpool u23s won't draw millions of viewers from all around the world. 

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Has the been any indication how the virus has spread through the team so quickly? I thought there were training bubbles and regular testing to avoid this happening. 

Doubt we’ll ever find out to to be honest. no matter how stringent you are with protocols it can happen. All it takes is one person, one moment of dropping your guard.

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Has the been any indication how the virus has spread through the team so quickly? I thought there were training bubbles and regular testing to avoid this happening. 

they are in training bubbles but they are not totally isolated from their families etc. it just takes one player's mrs to go to the supermarket once to pick up the virus. or one of their kids to bring it home from school. not to mention they are in constant close contact so by the time you have been tested, the damage has been done.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they are in training bubbles but they are not totally isolated from their families etc. it just takes one player's mrs to go to the supermarket once to pick up the virus. or one of their kids to bring it home from school. not to mention they are in constant close contact so by the time you have been tested, the damage has been done.

I'm hoping it is just something like that and not something daft like some of others have done. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm hoping it is just something like that and not something daft like some of others have done. 

same here. as others have said, i doubt we'd find out either way

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Scouse media all week have claimed Liverpool would be resting all of their usual first teamers so, at best, this was going to be Reserves v Reserves and now it may be Youth v Reserves or even Youth v Youth given Klopp rotates more than Smith and may want to rest most of his first team squad.

The magic of the cup.

• Like 1

It's amazing really that both domestic cups werent scrapped at the very least. No fan would be crying about losing them at the best of times, let alone in this situation.

I think pretty much every PL team will be playing their U23 teams this weekend.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

It's amazing really that both domestic cups werent scrapped at the very least.

It's not really, the EFL get the TV revenue from the Carabao Cup and the FA get the TV revenue from the FA Cup. Why would either organisation want their cash cow scrapped when they wouldn't get any compensation?

When I read that we were probably playing our youngsters, I thought Smith was just rotating the players and giving the entire matchday squad a much needed rest.

I'm kind of excited though, to be able to see some of these supposedly highly rated youngsters in action.

• Like 1

Â