Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

8 hours ago, smg said:

Why can’t we show more patience? He may be an academy graduate now but in18 months time he could be an England player the coaching staff work with him daily and have more knowledge than we  do of his ability. Why do we have to have to be the finished article now, if we want to have a serious presence in the premier league it takes time 

I didn't say anything about mot giving players time. I said that an unproven academy graduate was not going to get us back onto that game and so we needed better quality on the bench.

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I couldn’t believe it when he said that completely seriously and am surprised not many people have picked up on it, it was ridiculous. Obviously Andy Cole agreed with him. 

TV punditry summed up in a single statement. Well done Darren, a bright boy like you should do well going forward in that “profession”. Possibly an opening at Stockley Park too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Cash - 7 - great going forward, hit and miss defensively, though not helped by Traore (more on that later). Think he would be better wide right with a more defensively solid rb behind him.

This always annoys me when it's mentioned about our full backs over the years (it's the same at other clubs too)  

Cash is great at getting forward and has some quality in what he can deliver which is what makes him such a good RB. However he is nowhere near what is needed for a top half Premier league club in a more forward role. Fill in yes but it's not his role, he has played there but has dropped back as it suits him more. Like Elmo he can puts in some great balls from wide especially 18 yards or more from the byline, which a RB is in the position to do more than a winger, even a wing back.

The defensive side of a fullback in general play is so much down to the rest of the teams play with the other right sides player a massive factor in that, rather than the RB themselves. Yes there could be some individual mistakes in there but them attacking down the left a lot, wasn't because of Cash.

Like against Leeds, he had a lot of pressure on him at points for a period. I think he did really well considering. It's an area we definitely need to work on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

I like the idea of VAR, exactly because it gives situations like the horrendous penalty decision in this game a chance to be rectified. Then, stuff like this happens.

**** you, Premier League.

I personally hate the idea of VAR. not sure what was wrong before hand. All that’s happened is shit refs have admitted they are shit and then used there shitness to completely ruin the game. At least before you could moan after a game about the ref and move on now I spend more time being pissed off that VAR exists. Given that it was meant to be there for clear and obvious errors why can’t they say right you get one more look on the tv at normal speed because the game happens in normal speed not slow motion and if you can’t decide after that go with the original decision. Or scrap it completely because I think the sport was ok before 2 years ago ???

It was a penalty. Luiz caught him and that was always going to be enough. If they did that to Jack, he'd have gone down and we'd all be applauding !

Nothing wrong with yesterday's game or officiating ...... Villa were just 3/10 poor for 45 minutes and 6/10 okay for second 45 minutes and that wasn't quite enough to beat a mediocre Man Ure side.

Give up on the lame excuses and lets move on !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re probably not a top four side and yet we’ve just given Man U a very tough game and we all know what we did to Liverpool. On our day we are excellent, we lack some consistency because our squad lacks depth. That will take time to build up through acquisitions and organically from within.

I’m currently reading Ticket to the Moon by Richard Sydenham that chronicles our journey through the 70s and 80s, it’s a great read. In it Saunders is quoted as saying that it takes three seasons for a team to settle into a new league. I wouldn’t argue with him but we’re on the right side of the learning curve. 

I wonder if it's on Kindle? 

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

It was a penalty. Luiz caught him and that was always going to be enough. If they did that to Jack, he'd have gone down and we'd all be applauding !

Nothing wrong with yesterday's game or officiating ...... Villa were just 3/10 poor for 45 minutes and 6/10 okay for second 45 minutes and that wasn't quite enough to beat a mediocre Man Ure side.

At last. Let's be honest, if that would have been a boxing match, we would have lost by a split decision. 

26 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

So you missed the constant fouling on our players that went unpunished which normally would have been yellows? There were more than a few occasions where we had a break on were fouled and no yellow. 

As for the penalty watch Pogba's arm. The law of physics and all that.  Dean Smith's assessment of the penalty was correct. In the first 15 minutes we were fouled on more than 5/6 occasions and they weren't given. Blatant fouls. I knew then there's something not right about the officiating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

So you missed the constant fouling on our players that went unpunished which normally would have been yellows? There were more than a few occasions where we had a break on were fouled and no yellow. 

As for the penalty watch Pogba's arm. The law of physics and all that.  Dean Smith's assessment of the penalty was correct. In the first 15 minutes we were fouled on more than 5/6 occasions and they weren't given. Blatant fouls. I knew then there's something not right about the officiating.

Oh dear !!!

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Still fuming at that decision. 

Same. Took me two hours to get to sleep because I was so pissed off by it.

Then I realised I hadn't felt that same anger in about ten years because it had been that long since I felt we could achieve anything significant. In a way, it's kind of nice to be able to care enough to get that angry again.

• Like 4

Decision aside, we were very good for long periods.  Away from home against second in the league and we matched them.  We’re also disappointed this morning. That’s how far we’ve come.

We’ll get games like this and we’ll have games go our way. That’s football. 

I’m incredibly proud of the team and can’t wait for the next game and next one after that.  We’re now seeing some of the best football played since the Big Ron days.  

• Like 2

Frustrating night but so many positives, we really have the makings of a great team here but as others have said, a lack of depth will hold us back this year. Thought a few of them looked a bit leggy last night, which is no surprise really after the immense effort put in over the last week. 

While we probably deserved a draw, we rode our luck at times and Pogba should've really put them 3-1 up at one point. It was a soft penalty, but if were honest we've had a couple of them ourselves this season and will continue to do so with the way that we play.

No need to fear anyone in this league as on our day we match them all. Think we will continue to pick up points during this tough run and then who knows what happens after that. Exciting times to be a Villa fan!

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

This always annoys me when it's mentioned about our full backs over the years (it's the same at other clubs too)  

Cash is great at getting forward and has some quality in what he can deliver which is what makes him such a good RB. However he is nowhere near what is needed for a top half Premier league club in a more forward role. Fill in yes but it's not his role, he has played there but has dropped back as it suits him more. Like Elmo he can puts in some great balls from wide especially 18 yards or more from the byline, which a RB is in the position to do more than a winger, even a wing back.

The defensive side of a fullback in general play is so much down to the rest of the teams play with the other right sides player a massive factor in that, rather than the RB themselves. Yes there could be some individual mistakes in there but them attacking down the left a lot, wasn't because of Cash.

Like against Leeds, he had a lot of pressure on him at points for a period. I think he did really well considering. It's an area we definitely need to work on.

Can't disagree more.

Defensively Cash is poor.

He makes some headline last gasp tackles but often stands and stares while opponents run by him, his positional awareness is poor and he oftens fails to track his man.

He was very fortunate when Shaw burst past him and he fell to his knees because there was very little contact.

Not good enough defensively for this league.  Hell, he wasnt good enough defensively in the champ for Forrest!

• Haha 1

We said the two games against Chelsea would  enable us to measure progress and confirm our current standing. Well the good news is we have improved to the point where we can go toe-to-toe with anyone and slug it out.

We were slow to start yesterday and were careless with the ball in the final third. Much improved in the second and thought once we equalised would get at least a point out of the game.

Where was Mike Dean when we needed him? 😀 He would have had a field day yesterday. It says a lot that United had to resort to persistent fouling to stop us playing.

Cash, Grealish and Martinez were to top class again yesterday. We definitely need Trez and Barkley back soon to give us options to change things around. Very frustrating that we did not come away with something yesterday but we do need to be more clinical with the final ball and take any chances that come our way. Hopefully a nice easy one will fall to Ollie soon and give him a boost., a week off will also help.

It will be very interesting to see the starting line up for the Cup match. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Luiz didn’t catch him - Pogba caught Luiz and then caught himself. It’s just not a foul, even if Luiz is too tight to him etc. 

The officiating was poor generally. I don’t know if it would have made a difference to the result, but he just didn’t book the Utd players. At one point, someone was breaking from midfield (Luiz?) and Fernandes literally grabbed his arm, pulled him back and then carried on until he couldn’t run anymore. Free kick given, no booking. Camera cut to Grealish who was mouthing “book him, man!” - this was the pattern all second half. 

FWIW, I thought Man Utd were the better side and created the better chances. They edged it and I have no problem with them winning... BUT, they won because of a penalty that just shouldn’t have been. 

• Like 1

Â