Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Doug places his right foot far too close to Pogba's running line and allows the contact

Yes, definitely. If it was outside the box, in the middle of the pitch is completely uncontroversial. It's only because of the consequences (pen) and it being in the box that it's been zoomed in on and all the rest. Some people think pen, some don't (I did at the time, don't now). Like I say - Ref's call is fine. It's soft...but as you say "that's all you have to do"

I have to say Douglas is a bit of a liability tackling generally. He's a bit clumsy and often gives free kicks away in dangerous positions. Most games there are times when I'm surprised he gets away with some things in the tackle.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yes, definitely. If it was outside the box, in the middle of the pitch is completely uncontroversial. It's only because of the consequences (pen) and it being in the box that it's been zoomed in on and all the rest. Some people think pen, some don't (I did at the time, don't now). Like I say - Ref's call is fine. It's soft...but as you say "that's all you have to do"

I think that the difference between "maybe but I thought it was" and "maybe but I thought it wasn't" absolutely supports the idea that there wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. It's a close call, one way or the other - it's one that VAR shouldn't be overruling imo, even though it's not gone in our favour.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Grealish would have been given it.

I think it's one that VAR would have looked at and probably given. For both teams.

I didn't think the ref had a good game, United players weren't booked early enough for a succession of fouls and Maguire seemed to be able to pull Watkins wherever he wanted without a foul being given, but I think the penalty would have been given in just about every game this season.

Sorry but got to disagree with a bit of this. Plenty of times last night the same thing happened with Grealish running into their area and he gets physically challenged. No-one can allow a player to run into the box completely unchallenged. If Grealish goes down because he's ran alongside someone and their legs get a bit tangled it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Which is why he doesn't go down any of those times. He just wouldn't get the penalty and he would rightly be called a diver.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

He just wouldn't get the penalty and he would rightly be called a diver.

Just to reiterate, I definitely think he'd get the penalty, I think you'd see that given as a penalty in 99 Premier league games out of a 100. I think it was the correct decision.

I don't disagree with you on your interpretation of what Grealish would get in the hypothetical situation, I just don't think this was that situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

I have to take regular breaks win or lose, as some of the criticism is as dumb as it is predictable. Even Paul McGrath made mistakes, ask Shaun Teale! I wonder how he, and his lifestyle, would be perceived playing in this perfection or death social media age.

Yes reading on here that we need cbs I do not understand as we have one of the best defences in the country. We desperately need backup for Watkins. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I wonder if it's on Kindle? 

Paper back Christmas present from my wife, although I’m sure there’s a tablet version. She just bought it in hope that since it was written by a Villa fan it would be written through claret and blue eyes. It’s really good, I’m up to about half way, the start of the 1980/81 season. I won’t spoil it and tell you what happens 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re probably not a top four side and yet we’ve just given Man U a very tough game and we all know what we did to Liverpool. On our day we are excellent, we lack some consistency because our squad lacks depth. That will take time to build up through acquisitions and organically from within.

I’m currently reading Ticket to the Moon by Richard Sydenham that chronicles our journey through the 70s and 80s, it’s a great read. In it Saunders is quoted as saying that it takes three seasons for a team to settle into a new league. I wouldn’t argue with him but we’re on the right side of the learning curve. 

Dave, we are doing fab.....but I'm just looking at what seperates us from the very best.......I think there was a clear distinction between what Man Utd did and what Liverpool didn't do and the result was a reflection of that.

when Villa are given space to play in.....they are up there with the best, the very best.......but deny that space and time to play and they are dramatically reduced.

We still have a long way to go and while my first love is winning games and scoring goals, we still have players who can score taps ins, but when more sophistication is required, the inconsistency shows.

If El Ghazi could score those super strikes more often, he would be some player, but those strikes are few and far between and he easily settles back to mediocrity, very quickly.....most of our front players are all waiting for Jacks magic and not looking at themselves to try and create some of their own.....we are much too easily closed down and relieved of the ball.

things to work on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

What people need to remember is football is a contact sport and not every piece of contact is a foul. Secondly, Pogba clearly clips Luiz's leg and then his own. How anyone can think that it was a penalty baffles me.

Bravo, for reminding us......Man Utd was clearly reminded, before they came out ,doubling up regularly on our players, stopping them from playing and putting us off our game.

16 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well they did get 4 bookings cf our none so it seems hard to argue it was “unpunished”.

Not sure the penalty was that soft. Just thought D L showed surprising naïveté in laying hands on Pogba in the penalty area. That usually leads to a penalty, FFS, doesn’t he watch match of the day ?

I think the argument in regards to the bookings was that they came too late to have a great deal of effect. As for the penalty, like Dean said it initially seemed that it was a penalty but on seeing it replayed he wasn’t so sure. If only we had some sort of system whereby the referee could see a video replay. 

FWIW I thought it was a great away performance against a very strong and in form team. They edged it overall and on chances made but on another day we could easily have come away with at least a point. Road to Wembley next!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

My thoughts echo exactly what Smith said in his post match interview. When I saw it in real time I said "penalty all day" ... it looked like Luiz had got too tight and put his arms round him. So I don't blame Oliver for whistling. 

My issue is that when you slow it down you can clearly see Pogba trips himself. So why were they so quick to move on? It seems that every time we get a penalty its re-played for about 5 minutes before a decision is made. They didn't even seem interested in checking it yesterday

right....but equally, how do we account for Pogba's arm outstretched and thus restricting Luiz's opportunity to make a legitimate tackle?.....surely thats foul play too.

• Like 1

I don’t think it was a penalty, but it also wasn’t a clear and obvious error, so understandable that the call wasn’t reversed.   The only problem I have with that is the fact that they don’t consistently apply the clear and obvious error caveat for reversing calls, particularly in cases that have gone against Villa.  Our pen against Brighton should have stood if applying that standard.

In the case of offside, no one ever seems to mention the concept.   I guess it’s more difficult to define at what point a clear error has been made than it is to use lines and such to come to a definitive ruling (though there’s still a bit of subjectivity in the close ones).   Still, applying the concept would get rid of these decisions based on a shoelace or shirt sleeve.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that the difference between "maybe but I thought it was" and "maybe but I thought it wasn't" absolutely supports the idea that there wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. It's a close call, one way or the other - it's one that VAR shouldn't be overruling imo, even though it's not gone in our favour.

Fair enough.

I expect you'll get a right pang of anger when we next have an incident like this and get given sweet FA. Or it isn't given and VAR helpfully pop in and say yes that's a pen for XYZ "big club" thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fair enough.

I expect you'll get a right pang of anger when we next have an incident like this and get given sweet FA. Or it isn't given and VAR helpfully pop in and say yes that's a pen for XYZ "big club" thanks.

I'll be incandescent when they get one wrong against us, I'm not proposing some sort of buddhist calm in the face of crap decisions from Premier league referees, they're generally diabolical. I'm angry when they get them wrong, I try not to be when I don't think they did get them wrong. If there's 'an incident like this' (a penalty) and we 'get given sweet FA', I'll be calling for murders - so yeah, you expect right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Paper back Christmas present from my wife, although I’m sure there’s a tablet version. She just bought it in hope that since it was written by a Villa fan it would be written through claret and blue eyes. It’s really good, I’m up to about half way, the start of the 1980/81 season. I won’t spoil it and tell you what happens 😀

I was one of the Highbury thousands. I don't think I'll ever see an away day turnout like that again. I would take that over a World Cup win every time. Such a privilege to have them glory years in our lifetime. 

Look forward to that read.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll be incandescent when they get one wrong against us, I'm not proposing some sort of buddhist calm in the face of crap decisions from Premier league referees, they're generally diabolical. I'm angry when they get them wrong, I try not to be when I don't think they did get them wrong. If there's 'an incident like this' (a penalty) and we 'get given sweet FA', I'll be calling for murders - so yeah, you expect right.

If we could all be zen like Dean Smith, life would probably be better.

But I ain't so I'm angry. Probably won't go away until we next win.

• Like 3

Â