Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

37 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I think there’s the concern that without Europa League next season, we risk losing.....

Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Konsa, Mings and Watkins.

If we go from staying up by a point to even pushing for a place in Europe that would be remarkable. Doing it obviously even better. Players aren’t going to want to leave under those circumstances. I would suggest that with the obvious exception that the others best chance of European football would be to continue to play well for us. 

We’re building and will continue to do so. A big element in this build is a football culture and I think that very much includes the character and personality of the players. I don’t think we’re building a selfish group who want it all now. 

Our jewel in the crown Jack has stayed with us through thick and thin. If we continue to improve as we are then we will play European football and will contribute for silverware. Our owners and the set of people including coaches and players won’t settle for anything less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

I think there’s the concern that without Europa League next season, we risk losing.....

It's a reality almost every team has to face at some point. We just have to trust that we've learnt enough from Spurs and Leicester to use the funds wisely when it happens.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wesley who hasnt played over a year and still a way off you mean?

We wont get much use out of him this year.

And davis is hopeless. The man is allergic to ackring goals.

We should be looking at a loan striker in my view

Alright, I’m sure a GOOD loan striker wants to come to us to play second choice for 5 months.

Getting in the Europa league this season will be a hinderance to us next year.

The risk is that Manchester City take up their option to buy Douglas back, but they are awash with midfield players already without adding another one. We will no doubt have the usual press speculation about Jack moving on to a so called "bigger club", but they would have to match our hefty price tag and Jack would also have to want to go and I can't see him doing a Dwight Yorke. The other four and Martinez come to think of it, would all attract bids if they were available, which they won't be. I think if we can finish in the top half, that progress will have players wanting to join us, rather than wanting to leave us in the summer. Obviously getting into Europe would help alleviate any risk that there may possibly be though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

The risk is that Manchester City take up their option to buy Douglas back, but they are awash with midfield players already without adding another one. We will no doubt have the usual press speculation about Jack moving on to a so called "bigger club", but they would have to match our hefty price tag and Jack would also have to want to go and I can't see him doing a Dwight Yorke. The other four and Martinez come to think of it, would all attract bids if they were available, which they won't be. I think if we can finish in the top half, that progress will have players wanting to join us, rather than wanting to leave us in the summer. Obviously getting into Europe would help alleviate any risk that there may possibly be though.  

I can see Man City playing games with us this summer.  I expect them to pretend to want to buy Luiz back, this message board will melt down when in reality they just want some money from us and we'll end up paying XXX amount of money for that not to happen.  Essentially Man City will make money without doing much, win win for them.  This message board for a month or so will meltdown over it until the expiry date or an agreement is made.

In reality, while Luiz is awesome, Man City dont need him although Pep loves him they have at leasy equivalent, better but whatever they have more than they need already.  Nobody is going to pay a huge fee for him i.e. what we have paid plus a large premium.  We want him to stay so aside from a late bidder whose extremely keen and have a lot of money, I expect us to get flinched by Man City after dangling us for a month and Dougie stays with us.

• Like 1

I don't think we will lose any of our key players in the summer. I will stake my reputation on it.  In fact we will strengthen again regards of where we finish. It is clearly a happy camp full of young players who have yet to peak. I would like us to get another striker in before the window slams shut  but I don't want it to be a panic random signing like a Samatta or Hogan. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think we will lose any of our key players in the summer. I will stake my reputation on it.  In fact we will strengthen again regards of where we finish. It is clearly a happy camp full of young players who have yet to peak. I would like us to get another striker in before the window slams shut  but I don't want it to be a panic random signing like a Samatta or Hogan. 

I agree, there is always a chance somebody leaves for whatever reason but I'd be surprised and I think at most it'll just be one.  Like you, I dont think anybody will leave, why would you at the moment.  Yes we are only a midtable team but our path is only up (despite last night) and not many teams can say that.

The gap in quality in our squad between Watkins and the other strikers is a concern. We will be taking a risk if we go in to the 2nd half of the season with our current forward options.

I'm not even sure that Davis would be a consistently good Championship striker. The problem is that it's so difficult to find another younger player that would do even half of what Watkins does for us. But then hopefully Lange will be able to support identifying a suitable player.

We clearly need competition for places, and we've proved that we want that with the way that we've just spent £14m on another CM, one that isn't guaranteed a spot in the starting 11.

You could use the same argument for the LB spot which, for me, is a crucial area to strengthen in the summer if we don't magically sign one in this window.

The need for another CF is clear to see. Somebody to really push Watkins further on, to be an alternative. I don’t think anything is happening this window, I think they’re hoping Wesley gets a couple months or so of this season to see where he’s at. It’s no surprise that when Keinan Davis came on last night he looked completely devoid of match sharpness...... and he isn’t getting any minutes anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

For sure. This season was always about squad building and consolidation. Players aren't just going to up and leave without European football.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Pretty sure we’ve already exceeded this seasons target for points at this stage, I think we’ll go forwards with the squad we have got despite the lack of depth in places. 

Yes I'm sure Dean, Lange and Purslow are pragmatic enough to wait until the summer for the player we want plus FFP purposes as we look like achieving midtable pretty comfortably.  I assume Sanson was someone we have wanted for a while and became available at a price we couldn't resist taking advantage of.  There's a chance there might be a striker like it too in France but I'm not expecting it.  A loan is the best I'm hoping for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Villaphil said:

I am pretty sure they dont care about the Europa League, its a tournament I like but I dont think players would be so keen on it. This season Spurs have played in Bulgaria twice, Macedonia, Austria and Belgium and now travel back to Austria in the next round.  

Havent played a big name either

4 hours ago, Villaphil said:

Not a chance in hell we'd lose any of them without Europa football total bollocks mate!

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Somebody please think of the Europa Conference League. And no I haven't made it up.

For me that will be the dealbreaker in getting players in.

I first found out about that ECL on FM and thought it was a joke but no it's not. Is it like 7th place now qualifies from the PL?

And we defo need a new striker but the problem is getting a good one to come in and be a backup

21 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I first found out about that ECL on FM and thought it was a joke but no it's not. Is it like 7th place now qualifies from the PL?

And we defo need a new striker but the problem is getting a good one to come in and be a backup

Surely the idea is to get a striker who competes with Ollie, not just be back up. He may give us different options to Ollie or even play alongside Ollie. We prefer one up front but our forward play is so fluid we could tweak  the basic system. 

Either way hoping that Ollie doesn’t get injured/suspended/lose form etc or a crap back up bench warmer are surely not the only options we have. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Villaphil said:

Nope. None of those will have been expecting Europe at the start of this season.  None of them will want to leave if we don't get it.

Grealish may get more attention from other clubs if we're not in Europe, but he signed a 5 year deal presumably with an expectation of progressive sustained development. 

A top half finish this season, some astute signings to top up depth and quality, and none of them will need or want to go anywhere else.

Edit: Luiz the exception to the above as if City trigger the buy back and we dont try and buy them out of it, he'll be going regardless of Europe or not i suspect.

Edited by MrBlack