Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Not so sure he would fit into the style of play we demand of a striker. He isn't as mobile as Watkins. Not saying he isn't a quality player, just not sure his qualities will show in our tactical approach

He dosen't have to start. He's the type we could put on as soon as it went 2-2 tonight and then Burnley aren't thinking of flooding forward to win the game, they're thinking to themselves, blimey how do we hold onto 2-2 with Dzeko upfront and Watkins right and Jack left....

If we're to progress into top 6 in coming years we need a striker capable of coming off bench to win us some points from time to time rather than just always hoping the first 11 can do the job as there will be times during the season when they can't. Like tonight.

Just now, VillaChris said:

He dosen't have to start. He's the type we could put on as soon as it went 2-2 tonight and then Burnley aren't thinking of flooding forward to win the game, they're thinking to themselves, blimey how do we hold onto 2-2 with Dzeko upfront and Watkins right and Jack left....

If we're to progress into top 6 in coming years we need a striker capable of coming off bench to win us some points from time to time rather than just always hoping the first 11 can do the job as there will be times during the season when they can't. Like tonight.

Oh I agree we need quality options but also balance that with players that are signed need to be suited to the players we have. Not saying we shouldn't change tactics at at 2-2 like today, we should have but ultimately if the player isn't suited to the team style it won't work well

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We aren’t going to buy another striker without assessing how Wesley is post injury and in this improved team.

We may get one in the summer but I think it is more likely in later windows

Incredibly lax attitude though? We can still give Wes minutes when he eventually returns aswell as also signing a new striker this window (and loaning Davis out). With 9 subs you can have more than one striker on the bench seeing as it's packed with about 4-5 defenders which we don't need when 3-2 down.

Look at premier league and most clubs have at least 3 strikers even if only playing one upfront so given I don't class Traore as one we are well down compared to pretty much every club.

We tried the trick last season and ended up with wide players in there during January so I'd rather not go into a key run of games with the same again if Ollie is out for a few weeks with an injury.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Incredibly lax attitude though? We can still give Wes minutes when he eventually returns aswell as also signing a new striker this window (and loaning Davis out). With 9 subs you can have more than one striker on the bench seeing as it's packed with about 4-5 defenders which we don't need when 3-2 down.

Look at premier league and most clubs have at least 3 strikers even if only playing one upfront so given I don't class Traore as one we are well down compared to pretty much every club.

We tried the trick last season and ended up with wide players in there during January so I'd rather not go into a key run of games with the same again if Ollie is out for a few weeks with an injury.

It isn’t a lax attitude it’s acknowledging the fact we aren’t going down this season and you don’t buy 20-40 million pound players when you have one you still need to try out.

teams have 2 main strikers and one with promise usually when they only play 1 striker.

If the club agreed with your stand point they would have brought one in the summer.

Just now, paul514 said:

It isn’t a lax attitude it’s acknowledging the fact we aren’t going down this season and you don’t buy 20-40 million pound players when you have one you still need to try out.

teams have 2 main strikers and one with promise usually when they only play 1 striker.

If the club agreed with your stand point they would have brought one in the summer.

I very much class Wes as one with promise tbh. I actually wasn't demanding we sign someone for 20m + given what we've spent there over last few years, more like a loan for rest of the season with option to buy like Wolves and Palace have done which will probably work much better with FFP. Or if Roma want Dzeko off their books you take over his contract for last 6 months and then re-evaluate that in the summer.

I'd be disappointed if we do little in final third and teams above us already with good strikers do strengthen and suddenly likes of Everton and West Ham go from 4-5 points clear of us to 15 by end of season and we're all then scratching our heads at how it happened given likes of Martinez and Grealish have been in GOD mode so far.

I think we owe it to ourselves to give it the best shot this season as no certainly no guarentee the top half will be as open this time next season so it will be much harder to break in no matter our progress.

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Exaggeration and as FPL junkie I'm well familiar with most clubs squad and loads have mediocre or junk back up. I'd rather play Traore or AEG than many clubs backup strikers

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Exaggeration and as FPL junkie I'm well familiar with most clubs squad and loads have mediocre or junk back up. I'd rather play Traore or AEG than many clubs backup strikers

Oh we have backup aswell but he hasn't scored a league goal since 2017 so while there are bad forwards in this league on the bench I doubt anyone has a record like that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I very much class Wes as one with promise tbh. I actually wasn't demanding we sign someone for 20m + given what we've spent there over last few years, more like a loan for rest of the season with option to buy like Wolves and Palace have done which will probably work much better with FFP. Or if Roma want Dzeko off their books you take over his contract for last 6 months and then re-evaluate that in the summer.

I'd be disappointed if we do little in final third and teams above us already with good strikers do strengthen and suddenly likes of Everton and West Ham go from 4-5 points clear of us to 15 by end of season and we're all then scratching our heads at how it happened given likes of Martinez and Grealish have been in GOD mode so far.

I think we owe it to ourselves to give it the best shot this season as no certainly no guarentee the top half will be as open this time next season so it will be much harder to break in no matter our progress.

As for loan strikers no one cares it’s a a few million max for 5 months of service.

Not bothered on that at all, still the club has to want a player for the position then to target one, I also doubt a good one wants to play back up.

As for Wesley being the promising striker in 3rd place, just no. The club will want to test him out to see if he can be first or second choice. If he can’t they will try and sell him.

9 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

We need another striker before the window ends 

Have you not been paying attention? We don't need any strikers.

We have Traore who is a CF and has an amazing record in that position.

Then we have the Keinan the destroyer Davis who also has Ollie Watkins sh*tting himself for that shirt due to the fact he comes on for 5 minutes in games and puts fear of god into the defenders of the opposition.

Not to forget Wesley, Reassuring to know that despite not kicking a football for almost a year, he is only weeks away from returning and will slot straight back into things like he's never been away.

We're piled pretty high in this position.

Please don't counter this post with an intelligent suggestion that we might get injuries or suspensions as we won't get anymore of those either.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

We aren’t going to buy another striker without assessing how Wesley is post injury and in this improved team.

We may get one in the summer but I think it is more likely in later windows

Wesley who hasnt played over a year and still a way off you mean?

We wont get much use out of him this year.

And davis is hopeless. The man is allergic to ackring goals.

We should be looking at a loan striker in my view

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Pretty sure we’ve already exceeded this seasons target for points at this stage, I think we’ll go forwards with the squad we have got despite the lack of depth in places. 

Majority of teams have rubbish depth and want to play same 11 as much as possible. Look how Liverpool are floundering and Manure if Bruno has a quiet day. I think some people want it all now for us and ignore the steady, meticulous progress that's obvious

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Majority of teams have rubbish depth and want to play same 11 as much as possible. Look how Liverpool are floundering and Manure if Bruno has a quiet day. I think some people want it all now for us and ignore the steady, meticulous progress that's obvious

I think there’s the concern that without Europa League next season, we risk losing.....

Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Konsa, Mings and Watkins.

29 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I think there’s the concern that without Europa League next season, we risk losing.....

I don't think we will have to worry so much about this. it's not like we're stagnant as a club. as long as we're on an upwards trajectory I think our players are up for it and will want to stay.

22 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

All on long term contracts apart from Luiz.  

Players will obviously come and go but an exodus because we don’t get Europe given where we ended up last season seems an over reaction.  

Plus we don’t need to send so their valuations by the owners will be too much for other teams or we would get a massive fee.

As example, Konsa’s original contract was four years with a one year extension at Villa’s choice, so what do you think Villa would accept for him? Forget what you think he’s worth or use what you think he’s worth and add 50% because that’s what the owners would be looking for at least because the owners want to build something not be a selling club.