Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

4 hours ago, useless said:

Just seen that Brighton are £60m plus in debt after being impacted by covid. I wonder if they have any players that we might want.

We were heavily linked with Webster at CB and he seems decent. Have a crack if they go down

• Like 1

It will be our undoing if we are not careful. If Watkins snaps his ACL next game we have Davis as back up ... Trarore can obviously also do a job but it’s a risky move relying on what we have. That said buying a striker in January was never going to be easy or likely.

We could do worse than Chris Wood in the summer. Always seems to hit double figures in the league.

Completely different striker to Ollie of course but would be a fantastic plan B option to hit late on in games. Thought his header was top class from a fair distance out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobs said:

We aren’t going to buy a striker when we have Wes almost back 

Almost back ?

Still in non contact training according to DS earlier this week.

Another 6 weeks before he is on the pitch for us and even that might prove optimistic.

• Like 1

I do wonder what having another striker on the bench would do for us. Ollie knows that Davis isn’t in contention for his spot, let’s face it.

In a game like today, when Bertie wasn’t going up front, I’d love to see another all rounder centre forward in the squad. 

I don’t know what this would mean when Wes returns, but if Wes is a couple of months away from anywhere near math fitness, we need another option 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 2

I’d love us to get a striker but it’s pretty certain our first choices will be unobtainable mid season. With the Euros coming up a striker not getting enough mins, for his squad place to be in jeopardy in on loan would be our best bet.

Any ideas ? 

The mental idea of Costa for 6 months is also starting to look like a tempting prospect ... 

Edited by thabucks

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d love us to get a striker but it’s pretty certain our first choices will be unobtainable mid season. With the Euros coming up a striker not getting enough mins, for his squad place to be in jeopardy in on loan would be our best bet.

Any ideas ? 

The mental idea of Costa for 6 months is also starting to look like a tempting prospect ... 

Well Wolves got Willian Jose who's hit double figures in La Liga last few seasons. I know they need him desperately but I assume they'll sign him permanently when Jimenez is fit again. Marseille got in Milik the other day who's pretty decent.

Jovic went back on loan to Frankfurt from Real Madrid. Everton being linked with Dzeko despite having Calvert-lewin and Richarlison. Palace signing Mateta the other day despite having as it stands Benteke, Ayew, Batshuyai plus all their wide players as options.

Not really sure what the excuse is given all those teams play one upfront aswell. The back ups some of those have scored more recently than 2017 aswell...

Think best guide here is seeing who West Ham sign in next few days and then seeing what we do. They're in similar position to us given Antonio is first choice but his hamstring has already gone once this season. Not fussed if it's Josh King but was a bit worried when they were supposed to be bidding for En-Nesyri but no idea why Sevilla would sell mid season.

It would be incredibly disappointing if having worked so hard to be in nice position mid season we just fall away and finish 10-15 points off likes of Everton by May with someone like Dzeko coming in and scoring crucial goals for them so see what happens. The club have earnt that at least after the transfer deals in the summer and I like the Sanson signing aswell.

Just now, supermon said:

Seriously would take Edin Dzeko, could be our Olivier Giroud. Costa just won't happen because of his character, I think he'd cause issues off field

Not so sure he would fit into the style of play we demand of a striker. He isn't as mobile as Watkins. Not saying he isn't a quality player, just not sure his qualities will show in our tactical approach