Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

In a 2 up top though. He also has only played 13 games there over the last 3 seasons (including this one). The way we play he wouldn't offer us much there, as Watkins, as quoted by Smith, "is like two strikers" due to his work rate. Maybe a game or two but anything longer then I don't think we'll be effective.

So a question for you as I don't know where you stand do you think Traore can cover up front? 😜

The defence would like to call the suggestion of buying Josh King who also played most CF in a 2 up top system and has about 10 more appearances for half the goals and assists. Also agree about what Watkins does and others talked about offering 50 million for Tammy who does nothing like the work Watkins does

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Who replaces Kane in the team when he is out injured?

Son last season. Llorente in the past. Now they have Vinicius but wouldn't surprise if they went Son again if required

Edited by Kiwivillan

50 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think we will. Smith wants to play Watkins like Spurs play Kane and they've never really looked to rotate or properly cover him even after few serious injuries. Smith identified Traore as option when we signed him. AEG worst case would do lot better with players  behind we now have (pretty sure he was striker when Drunkwater was playing). Then there's Wesley, Davis, and Barry on the cusp

I don't agree with your analysis it's to simplistic and not factually correct, but the point you make I agree with.

Spurs have tried to bring in quality deputies for Kane almost every season. When you have a world class striker all you can really do is bring in a squad player to cover and rotate in for Cup matches. They brought in Janssen three seasons ago. They brought in Carlos Vinicus this season. They have also brought in Llorente previously all as cover for Kane. Not to mention they have Son Heung Min who regularly covers the CF position when Kane is out to good effect.

In comparison Watkins isn't a world class striker. He has Wesley behind him who the people at the club seem to believe has a high talent ceiling (I agree btw) . We have a talented but goal shy Davis who will certainly work hard, work the channels and hold the ball up. Plus we have Traore who can fill in there. Apart from Watkins not being world class the situations are similar, however that's quite a big thing. We really should be looking to have a world class operator there. 

I get what you're saying and I too don't think we will look at signing another striker in the summer or this window (the only exception is if we can bring in a world class operator). I think the club will want to see if Watkins can maintain his performance levels and up them over the next 18 months. I also think they will want to give Wesley a chance to show what he can do, as he represents a significant investment. 

When you play 1 up top 3 strikers in your first team squad is plenty. If you have a Barry on the cusp of the first team squad, and a Traore who supposedly is equally good upfront you only need 2 strikers.

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s going to be interesting what direction Chelsea will now take under Tuchel in terms of youth development. Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Gilmore, Gallagher, Anjorin, Barkley & Loftus-Cheek would all improve our midfield options IMO and will be vying for places and not all will make it. cheeky bid for mount in the summer rather than Barkley? 

Would love Mount. But anyone can see he will be a top top central midfielder in 3 or 4 years time.

54 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't agree with your analysis it's to simplistic and not factually correct, but the point you make I agree with.

Spurs have tried to bring in quality deputies for Kane almost every season. When you have a world class striker all you can really do is bring in a squad player to cover and rotate in for Cup matches. They brought in Janssen three seasons ago. They brought in Carlos Vinicus this season. They have also brought in Llorente previously all as cover for Kane. Not to mention they have Son Heung Min who regularly covers the CF position when Kane is out to good effect.

In comparison Watkins isn't a world class striker. He has Wesley behind him who the people at the club seem to believe has a high talent ceiling (I agree btw) . We have a talented but goal shy Davis who will certainly work hard, work the channels and hold the ball up. Plus we have Traore who can fill in there. Apart from Watkins not being world class the situations are similar, however that's quite a big thing. We really should be looking to have a world class operator there. 

I get what you're saying and I too don't think we will look at signing another striker in the summer or this window (the only exception is if we can bring in a world class operator). I think the club will want to see if Watkins can maintain his performance levels and up them over the next 18 months. I also think they will want to give Wesley a chance to show what he can do, as he represents a significant investment. 

When you play 1 up top 3 strikers in your first team squad is plenty. If you have a Barry on the cusp of the first team squad, and a Traore who supposedly is equally good upfront you only need 2 strikers.

I doubt we’ll be buying a world class operator as at the moment they are out of our price range and we’re probably not yet attractive enough.

However I think we can bring in a potential world class operator or indeed develop Ollie into one. 

I don’t think we are about buying our way to the top like Man City etc. The draw bridge has been pulled up on that route anyway.  I believe our plan is largely that with proper investment and the correct coaching we can get to the top our own way. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Son last season. Llorente in the past. Now they have Vinicius but wouldn't surprise if they went Son again if required

The problem with us doing the same is partially as much as we all love Ollie he isn't Kane. So it would do us well to have a valid backup option if Ollie loses form. That said financially due to Covid it's not unreasonable to think we have hit out limit of spend for now.

“Likewise Tom at the moment who’s on the bench. Valuable squad members who both want pitch-time obviously but will have to be patient.”

Watkins by contrast has been heavily leaned on.

“It’s fortunate that I know Ollie after having him for a couple of years at Brentford. His stats are really good,” Smith continued.

“He’s a robust player. One of the things when we take players in our recruitment department; we look at their last three years to make sure they’re at least getting 70 minutes of games.

“That’s a big factor when we’re bringing them in because we want players who are ready to play 37 games a season and Ollie is certainly ready to do that with the numbers that he produces.

Excerpt from Deano on Watkins,  Davis and Heaton.

The reason I found the bits in bold interesting, is because I'm wondering if that hints at things re: Barkley.

Either viewed as a luxury player, or not one you can necessarily depend on over the full course of a season?

Perhaps not a priority to sign for that reason, OR partial reasoning for bringing in Sanson as well.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-clarifies-futures-two-19708046

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Interesting quote and that potentially has an effect on the potential deal for Barkley. Depends who else we are looking at in the summer also. Barkley may not be out no 1 choice.

Yeah Suppose how quickly we make an offer (thats if we do) The new guy at Chelsea might like what he sees in Ross and wants a closer look in pre-season 

If that ends up being the case then the ship may of already sailed by then 

Edited by Kingman

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Excerpt from Deano on Watkins,  Davis and Heaton.

The reason I found the bits in bold interesting, is because I'm wondering if that hints at things re: Barkley.

Either viewed as a luxury player, or not one you can necessarily depend on over the full course of a season?

Perhaps not a priority to sign for that reason, OR partial reasoning for bringing in Sanson as well.

where were those deano quotes from m8?

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I should make my signature "Traore has excellent record at CF"

Which year did he play pure CF out of interest?

Obviously had two fantastic scoring seasons at Ajax in 16/17 and Lyon the following year where he hit 15 each season but just looking and in the europa league run where he scored a couple they had Kasper Dolberg upfront for SF and final. David Neres was also around then (someone I'd like us to look at).

At Liverpool Mariano who's now at Real Madrid was their main forward and likes of Bert and Memphis Depay would play off him.

It's a different dynamic being CF, having to do the duels with the CBs and holding the ball up with back to goal so would rather keep everyone where they are and sign a decent back up. West Ham will probably do that in the next few days given they only have one decent CF in their squad now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Who replaces Kane in the team when he is out injured?

Look at Spurs team when they played us at VP this time last year and there's your answer. We were really good for much of the game but Spurs still should've scored about 6 goals.

They did sign Vincius from Benfica who's an actual central striker but he's still settling in and not really trusted to start prem games.

Edited by VillaChris

19 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Yeah Suppose how quickly we make an offer (thats if we do) The new guy at Chelsea might like what he sees in Ross and wants a closer look in pre-season 

If that ends up being the case then the ship may of already sailed by then 

Lampard wanted to keep Barkley in the summer. Tuchel will have a similar say 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I doubt we’ll be buying a world class operator as at the moment they are out of our price range and we’re probably not yet attractive enough.

However I think we can bring in a potential world class operator or indeed develop Ollie into one. 

I don’t think we are about buying our way to the top like Man City etc. The draw bridge has been pulled up on that route anyway.  I believe our plan is largely that with proper investment and the correct coaching we can get to the top our own way. 

I agree. Not sure about Ollie. I think if he was going to be world class he'd already be that by now or at least on the verge. Going by his performances this season, he could develop onto that bracket just below. That wasn't my point though. 

We could buy a world class operator but we would need champs league to attract and afford the wages and spunk an entire seasons transfer budget on the fee. Not worth it currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I much prefer it our way.

We have seen it first hand at Chelsea, what happens when huge tranfers fee's are used....scapegoats follow and the manager is the easiest target.....Pressure, is like raindrops, it hits everyone involved at a club, like that.... gaps appear in relationships, cliques form and blame discussed.....it becomes toxic.

We are doing it the right way....I have to pinch myself, that we are.

• Like 1

Does anyone know much about this Alex Teixeira.

it does seem a sensible option ,if he is good enough...no fee either.

at 31, he could take us up to Louie being ready and take some pressure of Ollie in a few games.

I think we're maybe one summer window away from being able to not 'overhaul' the squad. By this I mean buying 5/6 players every time. From next summer onwards I think we'll be down to 2/3 players of real repute and January will be used for cover just in case.