Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Does anyone know much about this Alex Teixeira.

it does seem a sensible option ,if he is good enough...no fee either.

at 31, he could take us up to Louie being ready and take some pressure of Ollie in a few games.

Teixeira earns something like 300 - 450k a week (depending on the source), even if he took a huge paycut.....i just cant see how these figures would work for us??

also the dude has played in China for 5 years.......not sure what level the Chinese league is, but i cant imagine its better than any major European leagues?, i would wildly guess the level might even be below championship level????

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen that Brighton are £60m plus in debt after being impacted by covid. I wonder if they have any players that we might want.

the problem is, 60m in debt really isnt a lot in PL terms.......

the recent PL list (done by the athletic) - The COVID debt that means Premier League clubs are desperate for money -  https://theathletic.co.uk/2334255/2021/01/22/premier-league-clubs-debt/ , actually implies Brighton are nearly 300m in debt.....(most of that is owner loans)

Ironically........we are showing as the least debt :P, infact if i read it correctly, we are the only club in the PL with zero net debt.

Amazingly Chelsea are 1.3b in debt (owner loans), & Spurs in 730m debt......yikes.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Does anyone know much about this Alex Teixeira.

it does seem a sensible option ,if he is good enough...no fee either.

at 31, he could take us up to Louie being ready and take some pressure of Ollie in a few games.

I don’t know much about his playing ability, but Personally avoid anyone who ‘followed the money’ at the peak of his career, is 31, and is looking for one final contract.

He’d be looking for a 3 year contract, and has not (for me) shown any ambition for his career.  There is nothing to motivate him to put in a shift.  Nothing to play for.

Has McCormack part 2 situation splattered all over this.  I’d steer clear.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

where were those deano quotes from m8?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-clarifies-futures-two-19708046

Bloody good thing you commented this as it reminded me to put the link in the post before I got in trouble. Lol

• Thanks 1

“At the moment, Keinan Davis is our first centre forward substitute for Ollie Watkins. (He’s a) valuable squad member who wants pitch-time obviously but will have to be patient.”

Looks like Davis isn't going anywhere, and no new striker for us.

31 minutes ago, useless said:

“At the moment, Keinan Davis is our first centre forward substitute for Ollie Watkins. (He’s a) valuable squad member who wants pitch-time obviously but will have to be patient.”

I'm calling it. If he gets on the pitch tonight the future King is going to declare that the 27th January is a national holiday in fact a world holiday as it's the day Keinan Davis finally scored. 

Or most likely not. Sigh.

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'm calling it. If he gets on the pitch tonight the future King is going to declare that the 27th January is a national holiday in fact a world holiday as it's the day Keinan Davis finally scored. 

Or most likely not. Sigh.

How will he score while only playing 47 minutes since the beginning of the season?
All his starts (which were only 4 anyway) last season were tough games, Sheff Utd was the easiest but it was the first game after Covid. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, useless said:

He did say 'at the moment' though. You'd have thought if it was the long-term plan to go on like this he wouldn't have said that. Wes is in his way back too so if there is anything in what I'm saying it could well be that. 

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

How will he score while only playing 47 minutes since the beginning of the season?
All his starts (which were only 4 anyway) last season were tough games, Sheff Utd was the easiest but it was the first game after Covid. 

And he played well enough as I remember. And came close.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

By getting on to the pitch maybe and shooting towards the goal beyond the keeper? 

• Like 1

Davis should be banging on DS's door demanding a loan to get his career going. Simply can't see him kicking on if he's just getting 5 minutes here and there in games. Perhaps he's comfortable just being a sub option as maybe he thinks this is as good as it gets in his career but I hope not.

We'll see in next 5 days what happens with him. If he dosen't go out then that suggests that Wes isn't quite as close to coming back as we'd hope he'd be.

Edited by VillaChris

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

And he played well enough as I remember. And came close.

He usually does play well when he comes on, and often comes close to scoring. But that is not really enough for where we are, and I also think he is treading water and has not really improved over the last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that he will never be good enough for this level. A team at our level needs more than he produces.

• Like 1