Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

35 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I first found out about that ECL on FM and thought it was a joke but no it's not. Is it like 7th place now qualifies from the PL?

And we defo need a new striker but the problem is getting a good one to come in and be a backup

Yeah, pretty much. 1st - 4th still get Champions League. 5th and 6th get Europa and 7th gets the new one. Of course, if a team from outside these wins the EFL cup or FA cup then they'd get the spot instead, like usual.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

The gap in quality in our squad between Watkins and the other strikers is a concern. We will be taking a risk if we go in to the 2nd half of the season with our current forward options.

I'm not even sure that Davis would be a consistently good Championship striker. The problem is that it's so difficult to find another younger player that would do even half of what Watkins does for us. But then hopefully Lange will be able to support identifying a suitable player.

We clearly need competition for places, and we've proved that we want that with the way that we've just spent £14m on another CM, one that isn't guaranteed a spot in the starting 11.

You could use the same argument for the LB spot which, for me, is a crucial area to strengthen in the summer if we don't magically sign one in this window.

You could argue he is guaranteed a place in the summer with a loan player in his position.

36 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Anyone else think we need a quality CB? As for striking options I’d rather we started utilising Barry off the bench instead of Davis. 

We need 8 players in my mind over the coming windows for us to have a squad full of genuine competition and options.

31 minutes ago, John said:

I was thinking that we could look at bringing someone in that would offer us options on the bench and would either join on loan, with a view to making the deal permanent or be a young player from an EFL team, that are mid-table (so willing sellers).

Adam Armstrong, Blackburn - 

Good post John

From the names on the list I do know that Adam Armstrong would definately be the striker we need to buy if we are to take another striker from the Championship.

Only 23, he would be a good addition  to our squad of ever growing young English talent.

I doubt Blackburn would let him go easy given they on the edge of the play off places, but he is definately a player who would be a good signing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

As for striking options I’d rather we started utilising Barry off the bench instead of Davis. 

19 minutes ago, Ben said:

Davies is rubbish, if we're not going to sign a new striker we should definitely get Barry involved,he is a natural finisher

We won't be seeing him this season. He's got a bad injury.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

I first found out about that ECL on FM and thought it was a joke but no it's not. Is it like 7th place now qualifies from the PL?

Yes its the 'last' place of the current Europa spot so either the winner of the League cup if they don't finish in the Euro spots, or the lowest place in the league. Then all the losers of Europa final qualifying round will be put in this crap competition instead with a group stage obviously and a convoluted knock out stage. That's numberwang.

You could think that maybe you could put all domestic cup winners in a continental knock out competition and call it the cup-winners cup. No that is far too difficult. Lets just make another bloated competition and flog off the TV rights and have no domestic terrestrial  coverage at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would take a chance on Tuanzebe if the price was right.

I'd go with Harry Souttar I've been bleating on about him all season. Ticks all the boxes and is going to provide excellent competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would take a chance on Tuanzebe if the price was right.

Definitely. Knows Smith and the club - would fit right in. He's had two largely wasted seasons at United getting the odd start at RB and Mings and Konsa are miles ahead of him in terms of playing for England. If we're playing in Europe next season, regardless of which competition, we could give him ample game time. Axel and Konsa partnership could be superb.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'd go with Harry Souttar I've been bleating on about him all season. Ticks all the boxes and is going to provide excellent competition.

I watched a Stoke game a while back after hearing about Souttar and he was absolutely dreadful. I wondered if he'd just had an off game so checked the Stoke forum and there seemed to be a majority agreement there that he's not very good. 

4 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I watched a Stoke game a while back after hearing about Souttar and he was absolutely dreadful. I wondered if he'd just had an off game so checked the Stoke forum and there seemed to be a majority agreement there that he's not very good. 

Just thought I'd point out an odd quirk about Souttar. He's a nearly two metre tall CB who has scored 4 goals in his 2 appearances for Australia. Mainly because smaller Asian nations tend to have rather small defenders :D

Would I sign him? No thanks.

Folarin Balogun wouldn't be a bad shout, he's pretty hot for Arsenal's under23 and seems ready to make the step up. He'd be content on the bench behind Watkins with gradual minutes on the pitch. Would fit our young and hungry criteria, plus will have resale value. We should be all over this one.

10 minutes ago, supermon said:

Folarin Balogun wouldn't be a bad shout, he's pretty hot for Arsenal's under23 and seems ready to make the step up. He'd be content on the bench behind Watkins with gradual minutes on the pitch. Would fit our young and hungry criteria, plus will have resale value. We should be all over this one.

Surprised he wasn't loaned out, guess they wanted to give him more minutes in europa but him stalling on contract stopped that.

Better than Brewster you reckon who did really well on loan last season but that hasn't translated to premier league yet.

• Like 1