Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

As some have said it's best to absorb without giving up too much energy. Philips looked like he hurt his shoulder so might not be 100% it's possibly broken. I'd stick Barkley on him. A similar performance like the Liverpool one might be needed. 

Leeds and Bielsa teams in general are usually more in your face than Klopp teams so it might be a difficult night if we have even a 1% drop off in performance. 

If we win the physical battle we'll win the game. 

Broken?! Unless he looked in agony then I don't think he has a broken shoulder. I had a broken shoulder four years ago and it was very painful quickly, the most pain I've ever had. I wonder if he might have partially dislocated it. I say partially because a friend of mine has fully dislocated one of his shoulders numerous times over the years and he told me that can also be agony.

Edited by robby b

8 minutes ago, robby b said:

Broken?! Unless he looked in agony then I don't think he has a broken shoulder. I had a broken shoulder four years ago and it was incredibly painful very quickly, the most pain I've ever had.

The adrenaline would have kept his pain to a minimum. As he walked off he was definitely favouring it he looked in pain.

Yep, some injury concerns for Leeds. I like the bit about Oliver Casey coming into their defence and his last game ending at half time after getting run ragged by Hull 😂

Linky

Phil Hay claims Leeds first-team star a ‘major doubt’ for Friday Night Football v Aston Villa

20th October 2020 at 10:06am

Leeds United lost 1-0 to Wolves on Monday night and also lost captain Liam Cooper to his groin strain during the warm-up. 

There was no immediate news on the severity of his injury but Athletic journalist Phil Hay said from Elland Road after the game, “He’s going to be a major doubt for Friday.”

That could be an even bigger problem for Leeds if Pascal Struijk is also injured.

Diego Llorente has already been ruled out of the game and Struijk seemed to pick up a knock after he slipped in the build-up to the Raul Jimenez goal.

He was withdrawn in the 75th minute of the game at Elland Road on Monday night.

Stretched at the back

Leeds have much more depth in the centre of defence than they did last season but they’re already being stretched.

They’ve been unfortunate to lose Diego Llorente and Liam Cooper at the same time, but a further injury to Pascal Struijk would see the first crisis of the season emerge.

You have to imagine that Cooper will probably miss the game after obviously coming back too soon against Wolves.

We can’t afford to rush him back again and lose him for more games so we think Bielsa will have two options if Struijk is also out.

The first would see Oliver Casey coming in but we don’t think Bielsa would do that after the youngster was run ragged against Hull in the EFL Cup and taken off at half-time.

He wasn’t on the bench yesterday and that suggests Bielsa knows he’s not ready for the Premier League yet.

The more likely option would be to move Stuart Dallas onto the right with Luke Ayling playing as centre-back.

Gjanni Alioksi would come in and play on the left.

Kalvin Phillips could drop back to defence but there’s no natural stand-in for him in the holding midfield position.

Hopefully, one of Cooper or Struijk will be fit enough to play, with Ollie Watkins likely to be a real handful at Villa Park.

• Thanks 1

I can’t see anything about Phillips’ injury. Perhaps he’s ok and it was just a knock?
I think this will be a very tough and physical game. Prepared to watch Jack get kicked from first to last, so hope the ref offers some protection. 
I can see us winning and obviously hope that’s the case, but a draw wouldn’t be too bad as they are on a bit of a high still after promotion. If they get a few more losses before we faced them I’d be more confident as their morale would be lower.

I'm confident enough in our defence now that we can rely on them to do their jobs, leaving us with opportunities to counter Leeds like Wolves did.

We know how they will play.  

We're lucky because we can now play counter football with our energy in midfield, plus we have guile and can break teams down through Jack/Ross/Luiz. 

I think we'll win this 2-0. 

Leeds have had that result to bring them down a bit now, and whilst I acknowledge they'll want to right that result, I think we'll beat their press and just pick them off. 

Maybe an unforced error will give us a chance, or something.  

It was interesting watching the Leeds-Wolves game last night. Wolves played very deep first half and Leeds were swarming all over them, but when the half was over Leeds hadn’t really had a clear cut chance and they then looked knackered in the second half (or at least well off the pace of the first half). Suggests to me they can’t really sustain the Bielsa ruining levels for a full 90 mins so you need to weather the storm of their press in the first half, prevent them from getting a lead and then profit in the second half when their levels are down. 

Interesting to hear they possibly have a couple of injuries for Friday. I think they will pick up quite a few muscle injuries playing at the explosive pace they like to play at this season so I would expect them to suffer a bit later in the season, as I’m sure their second string is probably as bad as ours!

4 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Quotes from Bielsa last night:

"Given how the game went we thought we did enough to create a lead," Bielsa said.

"When an offensive team does not take their chances, the opposing team senses this and starts to grow in confidence."

I don't recall any significant chances to create this lead he's talking about. They had a lot of the ball and put some crosses in, but mainly just seemed to tire themselves out without much threat.

I think Bielsa is spot on. Leeds fluffed their chances in the 1st half and allowed Wolves to find their footing. 

Wolves looked dire in the first half. I know they are trying this new 3-5-2 out but man it is definitely not clicking yet. The xG chart from the game shows leeds had the lion share of chances in the 1st half. What's funny is that this was Leed's main issue all of last year in the championship. Can't put away chances. 

Leed's movement off the ball is very good. They like to overload one side of the pitch sending 3 runners at 2 defenders. Worked great against Wolves in the 1st half but they lack that quality you need to put away those chances. Think back to us last year when Target or Jack would flash a ball through the box and Davis/Samatta would be miles behind getting a boot on it. 

Villa just needs to withstand that first 30 minutes of pressure. Leeds will tire and Villa will have all of the 2nd half to run at the exhausted midfield/backline of Leeds. 

SmartSelect_20201020-090428_Chrome.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I think Bielsa is spot on. Leeds fluffed their chances in the 1st half and allowed Wolves to find their footing. 

Wolves looked dire in the first half. I know they are trying this new 3-5-2 out but man it is definitely not clicking yet. The xG chart from the game shows leeds had the lion share of chances in the 1st half. What's funny is that this was Leed's main issue all of last year in the championship. Can't put away chances. 

SmartSelect_20201020-090428_Chrome.jpg

Even on that chart they only had 0.45 xG at half time. That's absolutely **** all really 😆

You can't claim to have "done enough to create a lead" after accruing 0.45xG.

The only good chance they had all game I can remember was when it fell to that midget (that I forget the name of) on the six yard box near the end and his shot was blocked. Presumably that was where the chart went from 0.6 to 1.1.

On the balance of the game the chart would suggest they were unlucky to lose which I would tend to agree with but they weren't particularly unlucky to not be leading at half time.

Edit - I think Bielsa might've just had his view warped about how many good chances you need to score a goal, they scored 3 against Liverpool off 0.27xG. Probably thinks they should've had 5 from 0.45xG 

Edited by YouUnastanFren

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Apparently Leeds may be down to playing one the kids at the back. They've got Cooper and Llorente both probably out.

Bring on the injurys for Leeds and let's have them make excuses after we whoop there buts.

On 19/10/2020 at 00:06, Kjøttbacken said:

For some reason Leeds have a huge following in Norway. I wouldn't be surprised if they're third, behind Liverpool and Man Utd (at least if you count out those who only know of one Ronaldo). 

Please let us beat them on Friday.

I remember Leeds in their pomp. Perhaps it is from then.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wow the stars really are aligning

how is everything going this well for us. Its mad. All those years of shit luck is evening out in one season. Just hand us the trophy now 😀

From the goal line tech going wrong for the first time in 3000 games to all sorts of other weird things.