Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

7 hours ago, Awol said:

The fact we’ve never won our first five means history and the odds are against us.  

Assuming a win, a loss and a draw are equally probable, then we would expect a team to win their opening five matches once every 240 years. Winning 4 in a row a team might be expected to do so every 80 years and that would be for a team that typically might get 50 points in the season. Now, we could say at the beginning of the season history and the odds of  winning five in a row would be against us. Today if the the possibility of beating Leeds is one in three then winning five in a row is also one in three.

I suppose technically the odds are against us at one in three ... assuming the the odds are equi-probable for a win, a loss or a draw..

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

Phillips looked knackered last night, got to be the result of southgate playing him 3 matches in a row.

Another game Friday night is not ideal for him...hopefully!

Does make you realise how much he helped us by only giving grealish the 1 game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Gabby really hasn't helped... dick

I’ve got a horrible feeling that tweet of his is going to backfire then used to embarrass us on Friday evening. 

Yes, we’re all enjoying our great start but some  of our fans are getting a little big for their boots. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve got a horrible feeling that tweet of his is going to backfire then used to embarrass us on Friday evening. 

Yes, we’re all enjoying our great start but some  of our fans are getting a little big for their boots. 

I agree.

Philips appeared to be injured late in the Wolves game, think he hurt his shoulder. Would like to start with McGinn higher up the pitch hassling him , test his temperament, fitness, he doesn't like to be passed with the ball and has a habit of grabbing hold of players , an early booking would be a big advantage.. 

Grealish will get a kicking in this game , that's for sure. Ayling's a  strong lad, a good player and with Costa in front of him our left side is going to need to be on their defensive game from the off.

Not sure who the ref is but they have an important role to play in this game. 

This game is a hard one to call for me, Leeds looked tired second half of the Wolves game but the effort levels in the first half were probably why, very high.

If we can stop them scoring in the first half then we should have enough quality to beat them. 1-1 .UTV 

Quotes from Bielsa last night:

"Given how the game went we thought we did enough to create a lead," Bielsa said.

"When an offensive team does not take their chances, the opposing team senses this and starts to grow in confidence."

I don't recall any significant chances to create this lead he's talking about. They had a lot of the ball and put some crosses in, but mainly just seemed to tire themselves out without much threat.

32 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Quotes from Bielsa last night:

"Given how the game went we thought we did enough to create a lead," Bielsa said.

"When an offensive team does not take their chances, the opposing team senses this and starts to grow in confidence."

I don't recall any significant chances to create this lead he's talking about. They had a lot of the ball and put some crosses in, but mainly just seemed to tire themselves out without much threat.

Love the idea of the habitual Europa League team only ‘growing in confidence’ once the mighty Leeds Utd have fluffed a few chances. 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Risky opinion to throw out here but I think Leeds are an excellent team. They work so hard for one another and some of their passing moves last night were really impressive. They were oozing confidence so I'm hoping that that slightly undeserved defeat last night takes them down a peg or two.

Villa definitely got enough to beat them though. Like someone posted above there should be room in behind because their fullbacks love getting forward.

Villa 2-1 leeds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

**** hell gabby setting up their team talk for them. So thick

To be fair I'm not sure how extra motivation will help leeds, their whole game revolves around leaving it all on the pitch anyway!

As some have said it's best to absorb without giving up too much energy. Philips looked like he hurt his shoulder so might not be 100% it's possibly broken. I'd stick Barkley on him. A similar performance like the Liverpool one might be needed. 

Leeds and Bielsa teams in general are usually more in your face than Klopp teams so it might be a difficult night if we have even a 1% drop off in performance. 

If we win the physical battle we'll win the game. 

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Really is stupid.

Leave it for after the game. Those things usually comes back to bite you.

He is just saying what 95% of VillaTalk posters have been saying for the last 2 years. 

I hate Leeds. I’d swap the 4 league wins this season to smash a hatful past them on Friday night. Fortunately that option isn’t available and won’t be needed, we’ll beat them anyway and move to 5wins from 5. If form is maintained we win by 2 or 3 goals, I’ll go for a 3-1 win after being 3-0 up. We know exactly how Leeds play, what they’ll do. They have no other way of playing. Match their early work rate and then beat them with our quality.