Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

I can see us losing this one. Not being negative, I just can't comprehend winning 5 games in a row to start the season.

We're better than leeds and I'd love nothing more than to crush them. But just have a bad feeling

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hope we can deal with their intensive pressing. We won't get a second on the ball.

We should probably have similar tactics to the Liverpool game. Just hit it long behind their high defensive line.

We really didn't do that, after our 2nd and 3rd goals I was desperate for us to start playing long balls just so we didn't end up sitting deep and end up getting beat. Glad to say we played good football for the whole 90 minutes and won against a bloody good team.

I think this has all the hallmarks of being a game for the ages. Villa absolutely on fire, newly promoted Leeds starting strongly, plenty of bad blood from the last fixture. I only wish the fans could be there for it, because a Friday night game against Leeds would be electric.

I have to say I have a real love-hate relationship with Leeds - I think they're an old-school club, and their fans are some of the most passionate in the country without a doubt. I've always enjoyed visiting Elland Road for an away game and you can't deny their journey back to the top flight has been a long and arduous one which deserves a lot of respect. But at the same time, especially after the last meeting, there's just something so easy to hate about Leeds. I also think there's an element of a lack of respect for us, as I'm sure most Leeds fans would argue they're a bigger club. But ultimately Leeds love to be hated, always have done, it's part of their character, which is why it's so odd that they're the darling boys of the football press having been promoted. 

Anyway enough of a ramble, we should have enough to beat them as long as everyone's fit. I don't think the Bielsa style of high-intensity press will really suit playing us, seeing as we attack on the counter and bypass the press most of the time. Defensively we look strong enough to allow Leeds to have sustained possession without allowing too many chances to come of it, I think a similar game plan to Leicester will do the trick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It will be another tought test.....They will press like Leicester.

We need to be on our game, like we have been.

I really want this one though.

I think they will press more than Leicester but also leave themselves more exposed at the back. Will be a fun game tho. 

• Like 1

I just hope some posters will have a little bit of perspective if this result doesn’t go our way. Never would have anticipated 12 points from 12 so to continue in that vein would be immense but it’s not the end of the world. They’re a well drilled side, similar to Sheffield United last year but with a better manager. Stats above show they’re real hard workers. Going to be tough! Hope we’re grounded and ready. 

Leeds struggle to break down teams that put men behind the ball. we set up how we did against Liverpool and Fulham and we will have a lot of joy on the break. Also the pass in behind will be on all night. I can see Jack having a field day sliding ball through to McGinn and Barkley running from midfield and also Ollie playing off the last man. 

Hopefully Barkley will be fit.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Anything can happen in this one. They are very open at the back though once you break the press: McGinn, Barkley and Jack’s ability to beat their man will be key and of course Watkins making runs off the shoulder.

Hopefully a game much like the Liverpool one!

Anyone missing from the starting Leicester XI, we'll struggle. Got to compete with their effort levels before anything else. None of the subs, including Traore, are ready to start.

Think we'll be OK if the same team are ready for at least 75 mins each.

Watkins' hold-up and winning something from nothing long balls will be crucial.

If we're brave on the ball, we'll crack these open numerous times and score at least three.

• Like 1