Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Bunch of bellends need bringing back down to earth

Guarantee this is exactly what they’re saying about us too!*

*but we’re actually right. 

4 minutes ago, Rossi said:

Nice to see the Leeds fans have already got their excuses ready for when we beat them.

To be fair to them the other day was like us losing Mings in the warm up to be replaced by Hause or Engles and then they also getting injured during the game. On top of that Luiz getting injured and being out for 6 weeks. 

It’s pretty bad luck but the perfect chance for us to capitalise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair to them the other day was like us losing Mings in the warm up to be replaced by Hause or Engles and then they also getting injured during the game. On top of that Luiz getting injured and being out for 6 weeks. 

Pretty much what would have happened to us last season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Too slow pretty much. Great left foot but he suits slow possession football or teams that sit deeper. He wouldn't make the cut in the Prem purely down to the physical side.

I'm more worried about no Phillips than anything else.

Fair play for coming on here and giving us some insight.

Obviously hope we beat you Friday but I’ve got a lot of time for Bielsa and can see you guys surprising a few this season. 

The closer teams like Everton, Villa and Leeds are to the top of the table, the better for English Football. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ah bless, I see one of their posters mentioned something about his lack of running...I guess they must be twelve years of age perhaps?

And this talk of Kevin Phillips? I thought he retired years ago?

They mean Calvin Phillips the worlds smallest man at a heady 67 cm tall

Bielsa is clearly a decent manager. Anybody who can win the Championship with Bamford as your first choice "9" has to have something about them.

However, like Gabby, I was amazed how the pundits/journalists rated Leed's chances at the start of the season compared to ours.  I know that we only just survived on the final day but the performance levels post lockdown were much improved and in Heaton, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn and Grealish I felt that we had a strong core whilst everybody in the squad from last year (Lansbury excepted) had now got 12 months experience of the premier league and we knew that our owners would spend decent money again.

Our recruitment has been better than we had all hoped for and the 4 from 4 makes a mockery of those pundits who predicted that we would go down.  I think we can all safely say that we will not be in a relegation battle now. 

I would expect us to beat them and end up in a higher position than them as I think we have much better quality than them.  However, disappointingly, as I don't like them much either (more down to their fan base), I don't think that Leeds will be in a relegation battle either and I think that can be largely attributed to Bielsa's abilities - as, as someone said earlier, he makes the sum of the whole much better than the individual components.

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 2

Have Leeds confirmed Philips is out?  Wouldn't surprise me if he's bandaged up with a few pain killers and sent out to battle. If he does then it has to be McGinn who plays in his part of the pitch. Get up close and personal, just like Philips would if the boot was on the other foot. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I would rather we play them at full strength to be honest, go on their forums, they don't rate us at all, so I don't care about their bad luck. I'm looking forward to see how far we have come since we last played them 👍

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Have Leeds confirmed Philips is out?  Wouldn't surprise me if he's bandaged up with a few pain killers and sent out to battle. If he does then it has to be McGinn who plays in his part of the pitch. Get up close and personal, just like Philips would if the boot was on the other foot. 

Yes, he's definitely out. Was on their official site. Bielsa also confirmed that Struijk will play in the DM role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair play for coming on here and giving us some insight.

Obviously hope we beat you Friday but I’ve got a lot of time for Bielsa and can see you guys surprising a few this season. 

The closer teams like Everton, Villa and Leeds are to the top of the table, the better for English Football. 

Why Leeds? Leeds shouldn't even be considered in the same breath as teams such as us and Everton

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 05:44, maqroll said:

I marked this one when the fixture list was announced. Cannot wait. Plenty of subplots and another good test for Aston Villa. 

I guess DS has to stick with the same XI.

The only potential changes would seem to be Traore for Trez and Nakamba for Luiz, who looked like he was running on fumes at times.

I'd like to see Watkins get back on track, he was pretty invisible last night.

WTF..Nakamba for Luiz.

NO WAY!

Our success is down to the fact Luiz is allowing the midfield infant of him to do their jobs. So comfortable on the ball and has a huge engine. He is the bedrock that allow the others to 'play'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

WTF..Nakamba for Luiz.

NO WAY!

Our success is down to the fact Luiz is allowing the midfield infant of him to do their jobs. So comfortable on the ball and has a huge engine. He is the bedrock that allow the others to 'play'.

Only because he looked pretty winded at times. We also need to give some of these bench players playing time. There's no league cup option for them now.