Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I'm still not sure what position he is playing. To me it seems that he plays as the most forward playing midfielder, but it seems to leave us more vulrenable. With McGinn, Luiz and Hourihane as the mid three we looked solid at the end of last year, now Hourihane is replaced by a Barkley who plays much more further forward. I'm not sure if this is good for us in the long run. Barkley should try to play in the same position as Conor did, and do his defensive duties, or we should completely switch the formation so he can play as a 10, for example in a proper 4-2-3-1. Now it's something inbetween a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 that seems to leave us vulnerable.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Another horror show today. Two good games followed by two compkwtely shit ones. Can see why he doesnt get in that chelsea team

I don't think it was a horror show, he did quite well when he had the ball, got into good positions, played a part in some of the goals and pressed ok imo. As in my post above I think the main problem is that his position is unclear, I'm not really sure what to expect from him. 

I think we surprised Liverpool by playing him really high up, almost as a second striker, other teams will have seen that (especially a manager as good as Hassenhutl) and found ways to bypass him completely.  That's the thing with the PL, the other teams are always watching you and adapting, we seem to have suffered by not changing things up, either due to Dean or lack of squad depth.  I'm not sure he is 100% fit either and yes his set pieces were poor too.

• Like 1

Second-half against Saints he was good and linked well with McGinn, Luiz and Grealish.

First-half though absolutely invisible, how often do we start slow and give teams the impetus to score. When will we learn, Leeds and now Saints we've started poorly and lost both.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Second-half against Saints he was good and linked well with McGinn, Luiz and Grealish.

First-half though absolutely invisible, how often do we start slow and give teams the impetus to score. When will we learn, Leeds and now Saints we've started poorly and lonx

Our slow starts really wind me up. Dean needs to do a better job preparing/firing the players up for kick off. I know the players shouldn't need it but it is Dean's responsibility to send them out there to give 110% from the off, and if that isn't happening damn well shout and scream at the team and let them know it! Don't want to see him stand there muttering to himself. 

Barkley's a good player, but I was surprised when it appeared we were trying to sign him as thought we were more in need of either an all round box-to-box midfielder, or another holding midfielder, someone who could help us stop teams walkng through us. Think that he'll have a decent season though.

Starting to think we can't play him and John together, at least against teams that press hard. It's leaving Doug to try to cover 2-3 players every time the ball comes towards us centrally and making it easy to isolate our fullbacks when it goes wide, which pulls the CBs over to cover. If he's going to play as a 10, we need to change to a 4-2-3-1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Barkley isn't the problem. The team set up and shape is.

Smith got to have the balls to bench either McGinn or Barkley.

I think we should play Marvellous + Luiz as 2 defensive midfield will better result that McGinn sit in Defensive midfield roles, give Grealish and Barkley, Traore, Watkins freedom to free flow attack.

he is more centre midfield box to box, i think he should shadow running occasion will help result problem is Barkley stay forward to make hard to gap to running, it is prompt to limited McGinn chance to attack box or area to set long shot. 

if Barkley draft to closer Grealish and got distance to running cover centre midfield so McGinn will good windows to chance execute to running to box or space to long shot. But last 2 games it is not signal same way as we did liverpool....

• Like 1

Â