Ross Barkley

LondonLax

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Quite right. I'm no coach but surely against Bielsa its a game of chess, our opening was poor, 20 minutes of that and I would flip it.

We need multiple systems, Cash and Targett would be fine in a 343/352/3421, Trez is not good enough period, if he absolutely nails his work rate we can function, he offers little else, switching to mings engels Konza for Trez would have stopped that rot, push Barkley behind Jack and Ollie, SJM and DL central, up the work rate some, job done, I'm a genius, pffft.

But this felt like last years coaching under pressure and not a clue what to do about it.

Ultra critical I know after this amazing start but I'm hungry and this lot should be too.

My one worry with Dean at Times is things or players are clearly not right and nothing is done.....I am not sure if his stance is to get players to get themselves back in the game or simply frightened to upset the apple cart.

I cannot envisage him in a situation where Mourinho is with Dele Alli.....maybe he will develop a more ruthless streak or maybe he thought everything was ok and they were all doing their best, I don't know.

He is still learning himself, But I would welcome a more rigourous fitness programme and show a more athletic approach to us dominating the ball......too many standing off the other night waiting for the opposition to make mistakes instead of forcing them, it looked like the energy levels was lacking.

They need driving in training a bit of " Murderball" introduced.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

My one worry with Dean at Times is things or players are clearly not right and nothing is done.....I am not sure if his stance is to get players to get themselves back in the game or simply frightened to upset the apple cart.

I cannot envisage him in a situation where Mourinho is with Dele Alli.....maybe he will develop a more ruthless streak or maybe he thought everything was ok and they were all doing their best, I don't know.

He is still learning himself, But I would welcome a more rigourous fitness programme and show a more athletic approach to us dominating the ball......too many standing off the other night waiting for the opposition to make mistakes instead of forcing them, it looked like the energy levels was lacking.

They need driving in training a bit of " Murderball" introduced.

It was shocking how much fitter and faster Leeds have looked to everyone else and they didn't fade like I thought they would.

I hope it was a blip, blips will happen and we have looked way better for 9/10 games, we will learn a lot vs Southampton because Mr Ralph is a smart cookie.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It was shocking how much fitter and faster Leeds have looked to everyone else and they didn't fade like I thought they would.

I hope it was a blip, blips will happen and we have looked way better for 9/10 games, we will learn a lot vs Southampton because Mr Ralph is a smart cookie.

McGinn has played an awful lot of games the past 2 weeks. Barkley weren't 100 % fit.

We were never gonna win this game. Didn't have the legs, simple as that.

We get a long needed break now till Sunday, will do us a world of good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn has played an awful lot of games the past 2 weeks. Barkley weren't 100 % fit.

We were never gonna win this game. Didn't have the legs, simple as that.

We get a long needed break now till Sunday, will do us a world of good.

This makes sense and should have been a factor in our selection/strategy. 

17 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

This makes sense and should have been a factor in our selection/strategy. 

Unfortunately our first team is miles ahead of our subs (except hopefully for Traoré, who we haven't seen much of yet and you'd hope has more about him than Trezeguet).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do they? I thought he was a CM.

Although i'll admit my knowledge of teams players outside of Villa is somewhat limited.

My understanding.

He is a DCM but can also play CB and has done a number of times for West Ham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Shows you how bad our backups are that a half fit Barkley still plays 90 minutes. 

Well Hourihane may not be amazing and he too struggles v high press but he did come in and play his part in the run in last season and started our first two games this year so that's an easy selection to make if Barkley isn't fully fit.

Not a huge fan of Nakamba but plenty on here rate him so you could bring him in alongside Luiz and McGinn and have more defensive minded central three for some games.

I don't think the world would end if we started those two again. They key this season is making sure those two and Hause aren't starting 20 + games as happened last year as results will then consistantly go south.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Well Hourihane may not be amazing and he too struggles v high press but he did come in and play his part in the run in last season and started our first two games this year so that's an easy selection to make if Barkley isn't fully fit.

Not a huge fan of Nakamba but plenty on here rate him so you could bring him in alongside Luiz and McGinn and have more defensive minded central three for some games.

I don't think the world would end if we started those two again. They key this season is making sure those two and Hause aren't starting 20 + games as happened last year as results will then consistantly go south.

What about Ramsey?  I know he's a young kid and all but it didn't stop Shackleton getting on the pitch on Friday night and delivering.  I sometimes think we are too reluctant to give these kids a chance.  I could understand last season with the pressure of relegation etc. (not that we had any young kids that merited game time) but we are in a much better position now and, from what I have seen, I would look to accelerate him in front of CH?

18 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

What about Ramsey?  I know he's a young kid and all but it didn't stop Shackleton getting on the pitch on Friday night and delivering.  I sometimes think we are too reluctant to give these kids a chance.  I could understand last season with the pressure of relegation etc. (not that we had any young kids that merited game time) but we are in a much better position now and, from what I have seen, I would look to accelerate him in front of CH?

that is the second Time Shackleton has played for Leeds against us when registering 3 goals for...He is described as a tecnical player with a tenacious pressing style.

We need one or two of them in the squad.

It depends what type of player they are, is Jacob like that, I'm not sure ......Pundit Savage in his comments said we had too many offensive players in our line up, alluding to we failed to stop Leeds....maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, its his opinion.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

that is the second Time Shackleton has played for Leeds against us when registering 3 goals for...He is described as a tecnical player with a tenacious pressing style.

We need one or two of them in the squad.

It depends what type of player they are, is Jacob like that, I'm not sure ......Pundit Savage in his comments said we had too many offensive players in our line up, alluding to we failed to stop Leeds....maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, its his opinion.

From what I have seen/understood, Ramsey is an "8"/"10" but (1) he couldn't have done any less than Barkley on Friday night and (2), from what I have seen of CH historically, that game would have just passed him by.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

From what I have seen/understood, Ramsey is an "8"/"10" but (1) he couldn't have done any less than Barkley on Friday night and (2), from what I have seen of CH historically, that game would have just passed him by.

we are a tad overloaded with them type.....who would you say are the best in our squad with a "tenacious pressing style"?

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Not really sure DS will trust him in close match yet. He hasn't made the bench for last three matches. Would've been great to give him 20 minutes v Liverpool once the game was safe but he's dropped out of 18 as soon as we face tougher opponents.

13 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree, I think he should be given a chance against Leeds when it became apparent Barkley was going to struggle with the intensity of the game. Ramsey is a good player who has a bit of everything in his game, we should either have the conviction to play him or let him move on and develop as a player. 

It's no good not developing him then Barkley returning to Chelsea and leaving us with Ramsey a year older with no more or very little experience. We need to start thinking for the future when it comes to Barkley. 

13 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Possibly. Imagine he threw in Conor and El Ghazi from the start. Something Bielsa and Leeds wouldnt have accounted for. Fired up and wanting nothing more than to beat Leeds having been a big part of the battle of Bellend Road.

Might just have been a masterstroke. We know how meticulous Bielsa is when analysing his opponent, we set up exactly as he knew we would  and so their game-plan worked a treat, and that was without a few key players. The element of surprise was needed in hindsight. Shame really, missed opportunity.

Â