Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Why would the be offensive, exactly? It's not portraying the pope negatively tbf - from what I've read about him, he'd probably find it amusing, seems like a reasonable guy. 

RE: McGrath, I think the worst thing regarding him is the 'On the piss' part of the chant - he's a recovering alcoholic ffs. 

Someone on twitter posted their reasons. I just went to have a look and I think its been deleted. 

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

An Everton fan’s take when I asked is: “£40m deal agreed in August then he got injured. He (not Chelsea) cancelled the transfer, got fit, then moved there for £15m in January as he only has six months left on his contract. Got significantly higher wages by saving them £25m on the fee. Mayor of Liverpool wanted an investigation into fraud. Got to be a bit of a scummer to cost your boyhood club £25m.”

Now presumably if it’s all true (which who knows) it would be his agent not him, but that’s the perception of him there. So definitely not amicable on the fans’ side! Which is great for us. 

Someone should tell them to calm down.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

40 M is a lot of money

To be fair, if Chelsea are asking 40m it means they'd accept 35m in all likelihood.  Which is kind of the range I expected.

If you look at some comparable transfers in the last 18 months (all CMs aged 23-27):

1. Partey to Arsenal, 45m
  2. Van de Beek to United, 35m
  3. Lo Celso to Spurs, 30m
  4. Rodri to City, 56m
  5. Kovacic to Chelsea, 40m
  6. Ndombele to Spurs, 54m
  7. Bruno to United, 50m
  8. Tielemans to Leicester, 40m

Doesn't seem like Barkley would be out of place in that list?  You could argue that Villa aren't as big as most of those clubs but that's what happens when you have very wealthy owners, the prices go up.  If Villa can pay 27m for Watkins from the Championship, I don't think 35m or so for Barkley (who is a proven PL player with 33 England caps) would be an unreasonable ask.

The advantage for Villa is having him on loan, that way you can see how he fits in at the club, how he trains and plays.  He can also see whether he fancies Villa to be able to match his ambitions, he's not a player for a bottom-half team.  So far it looks like a good match.

Last thing to bear in mind is that it's by no means settled that he has no future at Chelsea.  He played 31 games last season and 48 the season before and is liked by the fans.  It's more a matter of whether he prefers being a squad player at a CL team or a 1st team regular at a team that is (maybe) competing to get into the top 6 or 8.  Either way, you have a motivated player for this season that enjoys being at Villa and will relish playing every week.  Seems like a no-lose situation to me.

• Like 2

If he carries on scoring in every game they'll want a fair bit more than £40m I reckon. 

On Sunday night the move when Jack danced through their box and the slipped in Barkley. Barkley turned on a six pence and shot powerfully only to have it blocked. 

Such a shame that got stopped, it would have been a seriously good goal all round. 

Probably wrong here but won't he be a lot easier to get here then say Mings was.  

Bournemouth could play hard ball because the fee + wage package was expected to be low so it generated a lot of interest hence Mings fee being seemingly high at the time in the end.

Ross's package is big so less interest from the non big6 that could afford him.

1 hour ago, White_Wall said:

To be fair, if Chelsea are asking 40m it means they'd accept 35m in all likelihood.  Which is kind of the range I expected.

If you look at some comparable transfers in the last 18 months (all CMs aged 23-27):

1. Partey to Arsenal, 45m
  2. Van de Beek to United, 35m
  3. Lo Celso to Spurs, 30m
  4. Rodri to City, 56m
  5. Kovacic to Chelsea, 40m
  6. Ndombele to Spurs, 54m
  7. Bruno to United, 50m
  8. Tielemans to Leicester, 40m

Doesn't seem like Barkley would be out of place in that list?  You could argue that Villa aren't as big as most of those clubs but that's what happens when you have very wealthy owners, the prices go up.  If Villa can pay 27m for Watkins from the Championship, I don't think 35m or so for Barkley (who is a proven PL player with 33 England caps) would be an unreasonable ask.

The advantage for Villa is having him on loan, that way you can see how he fits in at the club, how he trains and plays.  He can also see whether he fancies Villa to be able to match his ambitions, he's not a player for a bottom-half team.  So far it looks like a good match.

Last thing to bear in mind is that it's by no means settled that he has no future at Chelsea.  He played 31 games last season and 48 the season before and is liked by the fans.  It's more a matter of whether he prefers being a squad player at a CL team or a 1st team regular at a team that is (maybe) competing to get into the top 6 or 8.  Either way, you have a motivated player for this season that enjoys being at Villa and will relish playing every week.  Seems like a no-lose situation to me.

Jesus Leicester paid £40m for Tielemans........

Surprised nobody has posted this Guardian article yet - 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/22/ross-barkley-aston-villa-interview-england-chelsea

A masterplan. That is how Ross Barkley describes the approach that helped Aston Villa to thrash Liverpool 7-2 on his debut for the club three weeks ago. Judging by how things have gone for him and Villa so far, the same word could apply to his decision this month to join Dean Smith’s side on loan from Chelsea for the rest of this season. His two appearances have yielded two wins for Villa and two goals for Barkley. They look made for each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Surprised nobody has posted this Guardian article yet - 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/22/ross-barkley-aston-villa-interview-england-chelsea

A masterplan. That is how Ross Barkley describes the approach that helped Aston Villa to thrash Liverpool 7-2 on his debut for the club three weeks ago. Judging by how things have gone for him and Villa so far, the same word could apply to his decision this month to join Dean Smith’s side on loan from Chelsea for the rest of this season. His two appearances have yielded two wins for Villa and two goals for Barkley. They look made for each other.

I was about to. He certainly doesn't lack confidence in his abilities!

• Like 1

Confident words there from Barkley, and some nice snippets about the quality and attitude of the squad in training. Two games in and I couldn’t be happier with him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reach double figure goals this season. 

According to the Athletic we are paying all of his £110k per week.  Doesn't seem to have upset Grealish at the moment.

Don't think he'd move for a salary reduction (or much of one) and dont see us spending 40m+ on top of that kind of wage demand. 

Might still happen if we get him in the England team and finish in the top half.  Could trigger decent pay rises for a few players so he doesn't completely blow the wage structure, but does put our committed expenditure very high!

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

According to the Athletic we are paying all of his £110k per week.  Doesn't seem to have upset Grealish at the moment.

Accoring to Percy, Grealish's new contract puts him on £140k per week IIRC so there's no danger he'll be annoyed we're paying Barkley ~25% less.

Just now, YouUnastanFren said:

Accoring to Percy, Grealish's new contract puts him on £140k per week IIRC so there's no danger he'll be annoyed we're paying Barkley ~25% less.

Wow, missed that! Thoroughly deserved given the going rate for players in the league at the moment.  In that case,  could definitely see us signing Ross.

Wages and fee will unlikely be an issue in signing him permanently if that’s what we want to do next summer.

A lot of it will depend on him so we have to continue making the right impression and of course, performing well and getting results.

One thing that gives me a lot of hope is that we’ve done this in the recent past, Mings, Hause, Abraham, Snodgrass - all had great experiences here as loanees and have spoken well of the club whether they joined us permanently or not (in the case of the latter two).

Fingers crossed we can hook into Ross and he wants to stay.

Â