Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So an excerpt of him saying he prefers playing in the "Axial position" of a diamond, and that's where his best form for Lyon came from.

Anyone care to explain what the hell the "axial" position is?

Is that a striker?

When on loan for us he was a centre half or occasionally used by Bruce as a right back

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Not according to Chelsea fans.. They reckon nobody works harder than this guy apparently  (as per a conversation with a Genuine Chelsea fan at work last night)

That's encouraging then. I was going off what that Lyon fan saying that he goes missing after 20 mins. This is definately one that is splitting opinion anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Career averages: 27.5 passes per game, 80.5% completion

For comparison, El Ghazi: 17.8 passes per game, 76.8% completion

Allen Saint-Maximin: 21.1 passes per game, 76.7%

*These statistics are for information purposes only and should not be used out of context. Cheers.

Interesting stats, just found it odd that all his highlights don't show any kind of passing ability.

I'm not talking your defense splitting 30 yarders, when he goes past a player and comes inside he ignores the overlap and either shoots or loses it. Or when central he gets tied up with 2 or 3 players when a quick ball to an advanced player would have given a goal scoring chance.

At least with ollie, there's someone who can keep up with him.

Looks to me that for whatever reason things haven't worked out for him at Lyon, and the fans have turned against him - as can easily happen to any player.  He needs to leave. John Terry is probably a better judge than the OL fans in those circumstances. As for the fee, well that's inflation for you. TBF we're probably responsible for fuelling that, but hey, we're a rich club. 

• Like 2

Wasn't good personalities and characters so important for Smith?

According to Lyon fans this guy has got attitude problems. Not much of this signing makes sense.

Said Benrahma who had 17 goals and 9 assist last season is available and has been all summer. And we choose to pay 19 million for this guy?

Watkins was a great start and 2 steps forward for the club. We are taking 2 steps backwards with this signing.

57 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Of the players we've been linked with this transfer window, most of the opinions have been positive. This is the main one where there has been more negativity.  

But It's also worth pointing out that it mainly is a few who over and over repeat their negativity towards him. I'd say the general opinion in the thread is neutral or cautionsly optimistic. Not counting number of posts, but counting number of posters.

And fwiw I value your opinion highly as you have followed him for a long time.

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Like he's gotten a tune out of El Ghazi and Trezeguet?

I'm afraid you can't polish a turd.

Right, who put 50p in @villalad21 😉

Might as well wait until we’ve seen him firsthand before we start writing him off. We’ve seen enough who look like absolute worldies and haven’t made the cut, this could potentially go the opposite way! 

Edited by SuperTed
  • Haha 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

According to Lyon fans this guy has got attitude problems. Not much of this signing makes sense.

Said Benrahma who had 17 goals and 9 assist last season is available and has been all summer. And we choose to pay 19 million for this guy?

Watkins was a great start and 2 steps forward for the club. We are taking 2 steps backwards with this signing.

You probably thought Jordan Ayew had attitude problems.

He’s turned out ok elsewhere

• Like 1

Doesn't tell the whole story but Traoré has scored 21 and assisted 10 in 5666 minutes of football for Olympique Lyon in Ligue 1, that's about 63 games worth of football in terms of minutes on the pitch, so not sure where people get the idea that his stats aren't very good, even if you ignore the goals per minutes things he's still not far off a goal every four games for them.

2 hours ago, The Rosk said:

I actually would like a selfish forward to come in.  There was zero self-belief in the front line last year.  Jack had to practically smack them in off the forwards' ar5es last year to get goals.   

In some ways you are right and I do not mind selfishness if you can make things happen out of it. It's when it costs the team games and you knew the play fail, but still go for it even though you knew failure was in the air, thats the kind of selfish attitude I do not like. By all means if you see a goal and are going to score sure have at it, tell your team mate to F off that was yours because you were a 1000% sure the move was going to pull off.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, and the manager who knows him better than ALL of us and probably most managers has chosen NOT to get him.

So you value the judgement of some our our fans and Lyon fans over his?

Does the advice/listening to observed opinions only matter when it suits the narrative we want to portray?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Just now, Dave-R said:

In some ways you are right and I do not mind selfishness if you can make things happen out of it. It's when it costs the team games and you knew the play fail, but still go for it even though you knew failure was in the air, thats the kind of selfish attitude I do not like. By all means if you see a goal and are going to score sure have at it, tell your team mate to F off that was yours because you were a 1000% sure the move was going to pull off.

Yeah, with players who can actually score for fun, you can forgive the selfishness. Malcolm Macdonald always said that the only three things he thought about in a game were himself, the ball and the opposition's net. I guess Darren Bent was another one. But I'd rather have an all-rounder - and I think we've got one in Watkins. 

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Where the feck is my yawn emote ....

oh here it is 🥱

• Like 1

Â