Emiliano Martínez

hippo

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Really? But we have had some pretty epic goal keepers in the past. Spink, friedel, Schmeichal, Bosnich, James, Given. 

I would hardly call James or Given epic for us...SMH Given was most expensive assistant manager in history at one point.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d say since he joined the only goal you could really fault him for was Leeds first one. Apart from that every goal has been pretty much unstoppable or very poorly defended. 

He’s earned us 3 points today and if you also count the Sheffield United game it’s 6 points this season thanks to his goalkeeping.

Just came to say this.

I think there's another game he got us into a position to win from as well, but his distribution has contributed directly to some of our goals as well. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we had 12 less points without him. 

Fantastic player. Love how much he seems to love the club even though he's not experienced fans singing his name.  Can't wait till he does. Deserves a 90 minute serenade when we finally get let in. 

• Like 2

It is not an exaggeration to say he’s one of the best keepers in the world. Other than Alison and Ederson (maybe??) I can’t think of a keeper in the league who is better. Schmeichel is class but has the odd error and Martinez barely even has that in him.

It’s incredible we have him. If he was at Bayern or Real or something everyone would be pouting at him saying he is absolute world class. And he really is. If anyone ever wants him it should be £70m min or jog on.

For £16m this might be one of our best signings ever.

I do still feel bad for Heston though. He’s also class and what happened to him is pure shit luck. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hands up and being honest i thought we got robbed in the summer but FFS we have actually robbed Arsenal 

He is an actual leader in the back which we didnt really have except for maybe Terry

Really? Didn’t you think we’d signed a quality keeper when you saw how gutted Arsenal fans were?

Not just a great keeper, which he is and is on a par with Allison and Ederson, but such a calm and authoritative figure and a real leader.  I have been so impressed with his impact. 

I like Heaton, but he is nowhere near where Martinez is.  I would expect him to leave in January/next summer in search of first team football and happy with this as Steer is decent cover and Martinez is like a monster - I can't ever see him getting injured!

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? Didn’t you think we’d signed a quality keeper when you saw how gutted Arsenal fans were?

I just thought it was a big fee for a small sample size in his performances. As i said happy to be proven wrong 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

I would hardly call James or Given epic for us...SMH Given was most expensive assistant manager in history at one point.

Ability wise I would say they were above Heaton, maybe not epic, and a retired Schmeichal was ability wise better than Heaton. 

My favourite goalkeeper since Friedel.

He's argubably (in terms of transfers) the most important signing. He brings so much composure, quality, and assurance.

The only minor gripe for me, is how good his reflexes are, for a man of his size, it's just watching where the rebounds go. Luckily, the defence were quick to get rid yesterday.

Emi is king.

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

It is not an exaggeration to say he’s one of the best keepers in the world. Other than Alison and Ederson (maybe??) I can’t think of a keeper in the league who is better. Schmeichel is class but has the odd error and Martinez barely even has that in him.

It’s incredible we have him. If he was at Bayern or Real or something everyone would be pouting at him saying he is absolute world class. And he really is. If anyone ever wants him it should be £70m min or jog on.

For £16m this might be one of our best signings ever.

I do still feel bad for Heston though. He’s also class and what happened to him is pure shit luck. 

1b1c79c092d6906e2a2f7eec210afbd977-12-heston-blumenthal.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we were all a little apprehensive about the fee compared to how many top flight games he'd played. Form is temporary, class is permanent etc.

The question was whether we were buying a player who was grabbing his one chance with both hands hoping to put himself in the shop window, or a genuine class act who would keep it up going forward. Thankfully, it turned out to be the latter.

• Like 2

Â