Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Seems to have gone under the radar but the proactivity from Martinez to intercept McGinn's torrid backpass from Partey just after the goal was ruled out was so so important. As we all know going down 1-0 down that early, immediately after a goal disallowed would have massively changed the course of the game.

It also showed immense speed of thought from Emi, as that was actually the 2nd highest xG chance of the game across both teams!

• Like 2

I love this guy...  Nothing phases him and his calming presence gives our backline a lot of confidence.  Just knowing someone with Emi's outstanding positioning and safe hands is behind them let's our defenders focus on playing, unlike last year when they were hyper focused on just not making mistakes (which caused more and more individual mistakes).  Arsenal fans still love him and praised his performance yesterday, especially his distribution for the Watkins' second goal.  

Honestly, players like Martinez and Barkley are who we need to target to continue to progress.  Quality players who are on the bench for "bigger and better" teams and can't get into the side because of too much competition for a regular starting spot.  If they're willing to "drop down" a level to play for us regularly vs sitting on the bench at a club in the European places, it shows a lot about their character and will help us progress up the table.  

Anyway, if Martinez keeps this form up, next season might be the first time I ever buy a goalkeeper's replica kit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villakram said:

We can easily get 7yrs out of this guy, potentially 10... 😍

I might not be around then......so we will have him for life, my life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

such a calming influence and directs instructions to the back 4......massive,massive difference.

yup.

See Sheff Utd. this season, for the negative example. 

Also, partial sad face for the above, but time does only tick one way.

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

yup.

See Sheff Utd. this season, for the negative example. 

Also, partial sad face for the above, but time does only tick one way.

I was at Rotterdam in '82.....so I have had my Villa treat.

But the way this team is developing, all things being equal, we could be producing another team to emulate the early 80's

very exciting times.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Emiliano Martinez is targeting European football after insisting he has made a step up by leaving Arsenal for Aston Villa.

Martinez ended a ten-year association with Arsenal in September by completing a £20 million move to Villa, less than seven weeks after playing in the FA Cup Final for Mikel Arteta.

The Argentinian goalkeeper already appears a shrewd signing for Dean Smith, managing four clean sheets in seven Premier League matches which included the 3-0 win over his former club on Sunday.

Villa's win lifted them up to sixth in the table and Martinez has claimed a return to Europe should be in the club's sights. Villa have not competed in European competition since the 2010/11 season.

"I said on day one my ambition is to be in Europe with Aston Villa. I want to take this club as high as possible and we are on the right path," he said.

"Can it be done this season? Yes. But we have to work for it.

"When I decided to come to Villa it was because I trusted the manager and the club’s ambitions, and I knew how big Villa are. Some people do not realise how big Aston Villa are.

"They were all saying it was a step down in my career, but I always said it was a step up. We are going to hopefully have a really good season."

Martinez has revealed it was his desire to nail down a No. 1 spot that convinced him to leave Arsenal.

With Arteta unable to offer him any reassurances after the FA Cup final victory over Chelsea, and Bernd Leno due to return from injury, Martinez made the decision to leave the club he joined in 2010 from Independiente.

"I knew the club’s ambitions and the manager’s ambitions. They called me from day one after the win against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final," he said.

"I just wanted to play first-team football and Arsenal could not guarantee me that. They would not say I was going to play in the first game of the season against Fulham so when I had that doubt I had to leave.

"Villa were the first option and the only one for me."

I love this bloke, he has such a fantastic mentality. I'm not quite buying into the Europe stuff, I've said it before and I'll say it again a nice boring 11th place or something would honestly do me fine after countless years of Premier League relegation battles but it's nice to hear how much belief Martinez has.

I thought Heaton was good and it was clear just how much we missed him last season but Martinez is just on a completely different level. Phenomenal keeper. 

• Like 1

Our second most important signing after Jack. He's been outstanding! I love his can do attitude and European ambitions. I think the only thing that could stop us having a shot at top 6 is depth of the squad and the way Dean is reluctant to use subs will see us have injury concerns I fear. 

On 09/11/2020 at 12:38, MaVilla said:

top guy, a pity the reporter didnt say "Emi what a pass to grealish for his run!" :P

Incredibly annoying he didn't mention that actually. And how humble is Emi not to bring it up himself.  Love the guy

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

From what I have seen he's better than Berndt Leno. Very odd that Arsenal let him go but I'm not complaining.  

My brothers both Gooners and they were not happy about his departure at all!

I think they liked that he came to Villa... maybe not now though 😂

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

From what I have seen he's better than Berndt Leno. Very odd that Arsenal let him go but I'm not complaining.  

Leno is a quality keeper probably top 5 in the league. He made the most saves per game last season and was like 3rd in save percentage.

Martinez is great though and if no one seriously bid for Leno then selling martinez was necessary as emi wanted first team football. Which was great for us. 

Â