Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Fair amount of talk at the moment about Allison being in the form of his life, best keeper in the world, best keeper in the PL 

To be fair there's an argument to be made cos as good as emi is with his hands and coming to claim the ball etc modern football is more about sweeper keeper and reading the line etc etc and Allison is better than emi at that.... 

You wot m8 

image.png.8b86419ab778b7f0d4dbdc745f50bc4a.png

He read the ball over the top like it was biff chip and kipper 

• Haha 1

He’s incredible…

And I have no doubt that he would be the player we would miss the most, whose departure we would suffer and decline from the most and struggle to replace the most if he were ever to leave… hopefully that never happens (until he retires or ages)… he is a club icon… ingrained within it’s fabric…he really is Aston Villa through and through…

Irreplaceable, essential…

I haven’t seen one GK that we could sign and would want to join us that could possibly be comparable to him…

I don’t see any keeper around with his level of “presence” either…

What a player, what a signing… so glad he’s ours…

Another thing is… that there are only so many keepers around… and so many less of genuine quality and even less who are the “total package”… some may be good shot stoppers but weak in handling/claiming and even worse with their feet, for example… some may have all the key atttributes but lack the personality, determination and leadership qualities… and so on and so forth…

There are many more defenders, midfielders and forwards out there that we could look at and try to replace some of our players with…

Finding a comparable GK or one with the potential to be as good as Emi… it kind of seems like an impossible task…

The best case scenario would probably be to have a talented understudy to learn from him and eventually succeed him… (maybe the next/future Argentinian number 1? 😆) and what an opportunity that would be for any young goalkeeper… to learn from the best…

23 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

I assure you, it is. In Argentina we've had plenty of ok and good keepers in the last few decades. It required Dibu to enable freaking MESSI to be able to win *something* with our national team... 

Agreed… I have followed and admired Argentina and Argentinian players for years (mainly because I was obsessed with Serie A in the 90s)… you’ve always had incredible attackers and midfielders but were always let down a bit by lack of quality/top (central) defenders and never had anything approaching a world class GK until Emi came along… if not for him, Messi (as incredible as he is and has been) would not have won anything on the international stage…imo…

I also think Argentina’s attacking options have reduced in number and quality over the years too… I was in love with the Argentina team at France 98 WC, for example.

Batistuta will always be one of my favourite ever players but there was so much talent to choose from… Lopez, Crespo, Ortega, Aimar, Riquelme, Veron, Tevez…  I don’t think Aguero ever did enough for the national team but what a player…

I even liked Almeyda and his stunning long range goal for Lazio (what a team they were)… DM was he?

-

Can you see any young Arg keepers coming through with high potential?

I’m sure Emi will be inspiring future/young GKs for many, many years…

Â