Emiliano Martínez

hippo

13 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned him getting beat at his near post for Burnleys second.  Would have cost us points today, he'll know that though and shouldn't let it happen again.

I actually mentioned it in my very brief assessment of the match in the post match thread.  He was cheating over, expecting a shot across him.  Broke the cardinal rule of goalkeeping.  If he'd been correctly positioned he would have saved that shot with his feet. 

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a great guy great for us brilliant piece of business and you wouldn't trade him for anyone because of his character personality aura belief in the club leadership and ability.

But if we're honest he dropped off massively after his first season.

I don't think he's dropped off to be honest.  With the recent keepers we'd had before him, he was such a massive upgrade that we definitely over-hyped him.  Add that to the World Cup win and all the awards, the expectations are through the roof. He's a very very good goalkeeper. 

• Like 1

He also faces an inordinate amount of 1v1s due to the high line. 

I think sometimes people don’t think he making good saves because he doesn’t make a lot of TV saves like Pickford or Ramsdale but his positioning is normally so good and he catches a lot of the shots instead of palming it which lowers the rebound opportunities. 

• Like 2

On 31/12/2023 at 09:01, Pinebro said:

Unpopular opinion but I don't think he's been great this season if I'm being honest

insane-bradpitt.gif

On 31/12/2023 at 09:01, Pinebro said:

Unpopular opinion but I don't think he's been great this season if I'm being honest

Yeah you've been rightly slated for this take.

I think it's been his best 6 months for us.

You can look back, I've been saying for a while that I think he was slightly overrated for us. That wasn't to say I thought he was bad, far from it. I love him. But he was being hailed as one of the best keepers in the world and I thought his reputation was far higher than his ability.

But this season he has been absolutely fantastic. Not just with his traditional goalkeeping, but with his ability to help us play it out from the back.

It's been his best season for us so far.

• Like 2

On 31/12/2023 at 11:32, Pinebro said:

We've conceded 27 goals.

Liverpool have conceded 16. Arsenal conceded 18 and Man City 21.

That's a lot of goals compared to the rest of the top 4.

I think not only the gk but the defence as a whole has looked very suspect all season. Our attacking stats is why we are where we are.Only man city have outscored out and we're currently doing the we'll score more than you strategy.

You've picked the only 3 teams in the league with a better defensive record than us :) 

4th best defence in the league but the defence has looked suspect all season?

Also Martinez has a positive xPSxG-GA of 1.8. That means he's saved more shots than expected. As a comparison Arsenal's is -4.7 and Man City's is -2.3

• Like 4

On 02/01/2024 at 12:29, Stevo985 said:

Also Martinez has a positive xPSxG-GA of 1.8. That means he's saved more shots than expected. As a comparison Arsenal's is -4.7 and Man City's is -2.3

Emi is..

1st for defensive actions outsidethe penalty area
3rd for claiming crosses 
+2.3 in PSxG

He's undoubtedly one of the best.

Goals conceded and clean sheets are a really basic stick to beat GKers on 'lesser' teams. Ederson is a good counter example, crap keeper but plays on a team that always has the ball, thus concedes less/gets more clean sheets so people think he's decent.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 03/01/2024 at 03:43, Vive_La_Villa said:

🤦🏽‍♂️🤣

This just made me think. I can't remember last time Emi faced a penalty. Have we had any penalties against us this season? I'm trying to remember one now and can't think of one. We definitely have had very few against us if we've had any.

Probably something else to chalk down to th high line. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Emi is..

1st for defensive actions outsidethe penalty area
3rd for claiming crosses 
+2.3 in PSxG

He's undoubtedly one of the best.

Goals conceded and clean sheets are a really basic stick to beat GKers on 'lesser' teams. Ederson is a good counter example, crap keeper but plays on a team that always has the ball, thus concedes less/gets more clean sheets so people think he's decent.

Edesron is an excellent keeper, but I agree with your general point. Goals against/clean sheets don't show the whole picture

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This just made me think. I can't remember last time Emi faced a penalty. Have we had any penalties against us this season? I'm trying to remember one now and can't think of one. We definitely have had very few against us if we've had any.

Probably something else to chalk down to th high line. 

I think you could be right. At least I can't think of any off the top of my head.

8 minutes ago, dubliner said:

I think you could be right. At least I can't think of any off the top of my head.

We're the only team not tohave a penalty against us this season.

Had 4 against him last season, saved 1, conceded 3. The save was in August, against Zaha, who then score the rebound. Most recent pen was Spurs consolation at the back end of last season.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Thanks 2

That run of games after his mistake against Forest he was unbelievable and I'd say won us lots of points compared to what a more mortal goalkeeper would.  It's the way keepers respond to mistakes that shows their real ability, you look at Onana whose head went completely early on and hasn't recovered, wilting under the pressure.  Emi just got better and more determined to help us hold on to wins.  I still think he was a bit unlucky against Forest as he could probably have made that save again 50 times and the ball wouldn't have ended up going in the net but even so he took responsibility and corrected it.  I think he is the best in the world and impossible for us to replace.

16 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Most of our defenders are closer to the half way line playing the offside trap, no wonder we've had no pens against 🤣

It's another layer to the Genius of Emery and the high line. With VAR you're more likely to have penalties given and you don't get incorrect offside calls anymore. So defend high and you are maximising the VAR advantage.

Hopefully Emi saves the next pen he faces too 

Just now, CVByrne said:

It's another layer to the Genius of Emery and the high line. With VAR you're more likely to have penalties given and you don't get incorrect offside calls anymore. So defend high and you are maximising the VAR advantage.

I made this point a few weeks ago. or rather a friend made the point to me and I relayed it on here.

How much of an advantage VAR is to Emery's style with us. Must give the players a lot of confidence to know that if they catch someone offside it WILL be given

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I made this point a few weeks ago. or rather a friend made the point to me and I relayed it on here.

How much of an advantage VAR is to Emery's style with us. Must give the players a lot of confidence to know that if they catch someone offside it WILL be given

Exactly, you won't get bad luck. Now we just need the semi automated offside that was used in the WC which comes in next season meaning we don't have to wait for VAR 90% of the time it's just automatically given and linesman gets notified in his earpiece and raises flag. Another advantage for us, saves us the energy of running back when opposing players were offside.

• Like 1

Â