Emiliano Martínez

hippo

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't be so sure... Its hypothetical as I don't think they'd stump up the cash or we'd accept but modern football is shit enough that even a sound logic defying thing like joining Chelsea right now would still happen, us finishing above them last year doesn't change enough

Sadly I agree, we need to regularly finish above Chelsea before we can be truly seen as competitive with them. At the moment it is easy to brush off Chelsea’s last season as a blip, and vice versa, outsiders see us as taking advantage of that blip. They still have recent history of winning trophies on their side, whereas ours are a distant memory for most. Hopefully the former is about to change under Emery and we can win some silverware in next couple of seasons. 

9 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Why on earth would he take a step down to go to Chelsea?

To be fair, he'd probably double his wages and get far more commercial deals at Chelsea if he was so inclined. However, he seems happy here and will be playing in Europe this season, as part of a project that he's a key figure in.

Given his attention to detail, I don't think Don Unai would leave much to chance. If Emi was looking at options, you can bet the transfer fee would be ridiculous and Monchi and Emery would have a plan in place.

Unlike maybe other positions on the park, a goalkeeper role cannot just be absorbed by the rest of the squad. For rumours of Emi moving away, there must also be rumours of us looking for a new #1 keeper - of which there are none. I've yet to see any links to the likes of Raya at Brentford for instance. 

Ideally, I'd love Emi to be offered a new contract soon, along with Ollie and a couple of other key players.

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

To be fair, he'd probably double his wages and get far more commercial deals at Chelsea if he was so inclined. However, he seems happy here and will be playing in Europe this season, as part of a project that he's a key figure in.

Given his attention to detail, I don't think Don Unai would leave much to chance. If Emi was looking at options, you can bet the transfer fee would be ridiculous and Monchi and Emery would have a plan in place.

Unlike maybe other positions on the park, a goalkeeper role cannot just be absorbed by the rest of the squad. For rumours of Emi moving away, there must also be rumours of us looking for a new #1 keeper - of which there are none. I've yet to see any links to the likes of Raya at Brentford for instance. 

Ideally, I'd love Emi to be offered a new contract soon, along with Ollie and a couple of other key players.

I'm not so sure. Chelsea are a shitshow at the moment and I cannot see them remaining a force

They are hamstrung by the choices they have made over the last couple of years and they are running on the momentum of what they have been. I would not be surprised to see Chelsea fall away over the next few seasons. 

Yes, they could probably offer him more money (so could we). But they can't offer European competition, and they can't offer a stable club with everyone motivated and moving in the same direction. It is an exciting time at Villa. It is not an exciting time at Chelsea.

£150m plus. We’d have to replace him with at least 3 other captain material players. He’s that strong mentally. Guys a freak and this fact should not be lost on anyone. I even think we can demand a world record fee. 

Edited by Sulberto21

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm not so sure. Chelsea are a shitshow at the moment and I cannot see them remaining a force

They are hamstrung by the choices they have made over the last couple of years and they are running on the momentum of what they have been. I would not be surprised to see Chelsea fall away over the next few seasons. 

Yes, they could probably offer him more money (so could we). But they can't offer European competition, and they can't offer a stable club with everyone motivated and moving in the same direction. It is an exciting time at Villa. It is not an exciting time at Chelsea.

I agree that the Chelsea team itself is not in good shape, I was more commenting on the financial aspect. A top player at Chelsea can look towards 300k per week basic plus living in London, and Chelsea's global following at the moment unfortunately dwarfs ours (for example 3m follow our Instagram page, compared to 40m following theirs). Personal sponsorship and endorsements at Chelsea are worth a fortune to a player. There's no way Grealish was ever going to land a Gucci contract whilst at Villa.

Now, given what Unai is cooking, we're becoming more and more attractive with each passing day, but let's not say that Chelsea are an automatic dismissal from the best players from us, Spurs, Brighton, West Ham and others just yet. 

However, I don't think Emi would be considering a move FWIW. Not only do I get the impression that he and his family are settled, I also haven't seen anything to suggest we're looking for a top GK. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

£150m plus. We’d have to replace him with at least 3 other captain material players. He’s that strong mentally. Guys a freak and this fact should not be lost on anyone. I even think we can demand a world record fee. 

If he forced a move I think it would be around half this. Can’t see him forcing a move though and after all the chat of Europa and with villa even less so, not to Chelsea anyway.  Poch is an interesting one purely based on the fact he’s Argentine. 

Â