Emiliano Martínez

hippo

20 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Emi is currently my favourite player, best keeper we've had since Bosnich and in the top 3 we've had in my 50+ years of supporting the Villa.

I was never convinced by Bosnich. Good shot stopper, nothing more....... 

• Like 1

Maybe the reason there’s been no rumours about a new number two is that Emi will be number one for all competitions this season. Which personally, I would want anyway. I’m not on board with this modern fascination of having cup keepers. Emi has also specifically stated that he can’t wait to play for us in Europe, which hopefully means he won’t be sat on the bench for them. 

David De Gea played 58 times for Man Utd last season, and was only not chosen for the early rounds of the League Cup. So there is precedence for this. And I hope this is our plan for the coming seasons. And if that is the case, I have no issue with us not replacing Olsen. I’d still rather we did, but if Emi is number one for all competitions, it’s certainly less of a risk. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

That's not going to show time wasting. That shows how quickly teams restart. Time wasting comes only when your team are winning or holding onto a point against superior opposition and is used to control tempo of game and give teammates a rest. I won't really show up in the data on avg speed of goal kicks

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That's not going to show time wasting. That shows how quickly teams restart. Time wasting comes only when your team are winning or holding onto a point against superior opposition and is used to control tempo of game and give teammates a rest. I won't really show up in the data on avg speed of goal kicks

Eh?

So Emi is really quick taking goal kicks generally and really slow ie time wasting when we are winning because you need this to get a middling average?  Especially given how many times we won close under Emery and this time wasting was constantly levelled at Emi.  Yes it’s not an ideal stat but given his restart average is middling suggests he’s not out of the norm whether in your version of events or just generally.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Eh?

So Emi is really quick taking goal kicks generally and really slow ie time wasting when we are winning because you need this to get a middling average?  Especially given how many times we won close under Emery and this time wasting was constantly levelled at Emi.  Yes it’s not an ideal stat but given his restart average is middling suggests he’s not out of the norm whether in your version of events or just generally.

Martinez took 212 goal kicks. If he was time wasting for 15 or 20  of those at the end of the game that's 7% to 9% of his kicks. Say they took 1 min and he averages 27s for the others. That averages out at 30s per kick in a season.

What you need to see is what is the 90th percentile of slowest kicks. So what was his 190th slowest kick. To see how his time wasting is. 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez took 212 goal kicks. If he was time wasting for 15 or 20  of those at the end of the game that's 7% to 9% of his kicks. Say they took 1 min and he averages 27s for the others. That averages out at 30s per kick in a season.

What you need to see is what is the 90th percentile of slowest kicks. So what was his 190th slowest kick. To see how his time wasting is. 

But you’re assuming 15-20 kicks based on?  That’s 1 per win we had, not including draws either holding onto a draw or winning but conceding a late goal to get a draw.  Having watched Villa, also understanding there are more goal kicks later in the games because teams open up and/or chasing games then 1 per each win we had at worst case scenario seems very undercooked when you take in all the other factors along with observation.

56 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Maybe the reason there’s been no rumours about a new number two is that Emi will be number one for all competitions this season. Which personally, I would want anyway. I’m not on board with this modern fascination of having cup keepers. Emi has also specifically stated that he can’t wait to play for us in Europe, which hopefully means he won’t be sat on the bench for them. 

David De Gea played 58 times for Man Utd last season, and was only not chosen for the early rounds of the League Cup. So there is precedence for this. And I hope this is our plan for the coming seasons. And if that is the case, I have no issue with us not replacing Olsen. I’d still rather we did, but if Emi is number one for all competitions, it’s certainly less of a risk. 

I think he will need some rest especially as he’s Argentina’s number 1 he has a niggling tendinitis problem that will only get worse if he’s overworked.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But you’re assuming 15-20 kicks based on?  That’s 1 per win we had, not including draws either holding onto a draw or winning but conceding a late goal to get a draw.  Having watched Villa, also understanding there are more goal kicks later in the games because teams open up and/or chasing games then 1 per each win we had at worst case scenario seems very undercooked when you take in all the other factors along with observation.

I estimated that for illustrative purposes by amount of times in a game he does the time wasting about 10% lets say as matches are like 100mins of football time wasting happens at the end of some of them. Many we are winning and in control of he doesn't need to do it. 

My point is giving the average of sample data set tells you nothing about the distribution. If I told you the average of sample of 10 data points was 50 seconds. You are assuming that most of the 10 data points are around 50s, but that's pure guesswork. The data could be 100 100 100 100 100 0 0 0 0 0 = Average is 50. 

If we visually plotted all Emis goal kicks as number of seconds minus his average we'd get a distribution, how fat the right tail tail was would give us an idea of how slow his slow kicks are. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I estimated that for illustrative purposes by amount of times in a game he does the time wasting about 10% lets say as matches are like 100mins of football time wasting happens at the end of some of them. Many we are winning and in control of he doesn't need to do it. 

My point is giving the average of sample data set tells you nothing about the distribution. If I told you the average of sample of 10 data points was 50 seconds. You are assuming that most of the 10 data points are around 50s, but that's pure guesswork. The data could be 100 100 100 100 100 0 0 0 0 0 = Average is 50. 

If we visually plotted all Emis goal kicks as number of seconds minus his average we'd get a distribution, how fat the right tail tail was would give us an idea of how slow his slow kicks are. 

But you’re assuming linear distribution of goal kicks over the 100 mins to achieve 10%.  You are also assuming that time wasting is only in the last 10% of the game and not pre end of first half and for longer than 10% of the time at the end of the second half.

I agree with you second paragraph.

The point though in the tweet though is that Dibu is the biggest time waster it shows that while maybe he could waste more time towards the end of the game it would mean he is quicker than the average generally for the rest of the game therefore his average time wastage per game is mid compared to other goalkeepers.  So he wastes less of the game than half of the other goalkeepers overall and in your version he has credit in the game from the early part of the game to waste later in the game so his overall average remains in the middle of goalkeepers.

Anyway even if he was the worst, if he wins us the game and it doesn’t hinder us through suspension then I don’t mind him keep doing it.  Good discussion though CV.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But you’re assuming linear distribution of goal kicks over the 100 mins to achieve 10%.  You are also assuming that time wasting is only in the last 10% of the game and not pre end of first half and for longer than 10% of the time at the end of the second half.

I agree with you second paragraph.

The point though in the tweet though is that Dibu is the biggest time waster it shows that while maybe he could waste more time towards the end of the game it would mean he is quicker than the average generally for the rest of the game therefore his average time wastage per game is mid compared to other goalkeepers.  So he wastes less of the game than half of the other goalkeepers overall and in your version he has credit in the game from the early part of the game to waste later in the game so his overall average remains in the middle of goalkeepers.

Anyway even if he was the worst, if he wins us the game and it doesn’t hinder us through suspension then I don’t mind him keep doing it.  Good discussion though CV.

As I said I used the % as an example of a point in the tail of the distribution. Average length of time it takes for 212 goal kicks over a season tells you nothing really about time wasting without the distribution of those kicks and then cross referencing the kicks in the tail with the time period of a match.

On 29/07/2023 at 07:46, Rich192 said:

I'd only want a cup keeper if we had a young keeper in the squad who we wanted as backup and also wanted to give experience and game time. 

If Marschall for example was seen as good enough already for the championship but we wanted him on the bench, I'd be happy with him as cup keeper. I don't see the need to play Olsen though, we don't owe him anything and don't need to develop him. The only other argument would be keeping him as fresh as possible for a potential need to step up following an injury 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I'd only want a cup keeper if we had a young keeper in the squad who we wanted as backup and also wanted to give experience and game time. 

If Marschall for example was seen as good enough already for the championship but we wanted him on the bench, I'd be happy with him as cup keeper. I don't see the need to play Olsen though, we don't owe him anything and don't need to develop him. The only other argument would be keeping him as fresh as possible for a potential need to step up following an injury 

Agree with this.

If we did manage to get to a semi-final/final there's be no room for sentiment however - I'd definitely have Emi back in.

Liverpool stuck with Kelleher but unlike us they hadn't gone close to 30 years without a trophy.

• Like 1

Â