Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

1st goal is really poor positioning and 2nd goal is a good finish but you'd expect a top keeper to save a telegraphed shot whipped like that into the far post. It can't go anywhere else.

I just think he's massively dropped off. I can count double digit goals the past 18 months he should have saved.

I don't see it as poor positioning for the first goal. The attacker was close and Emi understandably guarded against being beaten at the near post. The hard low shot went just inches inside the far post. A much better shot than than Bailey's that beat de Gea at the far post (Holte End) recently.

Emi was definitely a yard too close to his near post for the second because the ball was much further away so he'd have had time to cover his near post. If he'd have been one step closer to the middle of the goal, the hard shot would have been saved by a full hand. Even with his starting position as it was, given that he got fingers (not just tips) to the ball, Emi will be disappointed he didn't tip it over.

The whole Argentina team were below par against a fired up Saudi team.

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

1st goal is really poor positioning and 2nd goal is a good finish but you'd expect a top keeper to save a telegraphed shot whipped like that into the far post. It can't go anywhere else.

I just think he's massively dropped off. I can count double digit goals the past 18 months he should have saved.

1st goal. I have seen him concede many of those over the last 18 months. Defo susceptible to these low hard shots across him. I remember Jesse Lingard and Soucek doing exactly the same. 

2nd was just a brilliant hit. He got fingers to it. More through his ability than any kind of screw up. 

But i agree he isnt the same impenetrable keeper we had 2 seasons ago. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Chelseas CL winning keeper who won fifa best keeper in the world last year chucked 2 in last night... And we're picking Emi apart?

Both of those goals were good goals,  is what it is, don't need to finger point

I think Emi himself will think he could possibly have tipped the second shot over or wide. Still two great shots that would have lead to two goals against most keepers though.

Mentioning a goal where Emi could have done better doesn't distract me from knowing Emi's still a fantastic keeper and very importantly, a great fit for our club.

• Like 3

Don't think he had any chance with the first.

Second is the type he'd have pulled a worldie on a couple of seasons ago when he was one of the best in the world. 

I don't think he's operating at that level at the moment but hopefully he can get back there. 

He's a massive asset to us on and off the pitch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

1st goal. I have seen him concede many of those over the last 18 months. Defo susceptible to these low hard shots across him. I remember Jesse Lingard and Soucek doing exactly the same. 

2nd was just a brilliant hit. He got fingers to it. More through his ability than any kind of screw up. 

But i agree he isnt the same impenetrable keeper we had 2 seasons ago. 

ditto.

I think he is still a top keeper, but as you say, not quite got the edge he had 2 seasons ago.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he should have saved both but it’s only the first game. Long way to go.

I hope he has an absolute nightmare tournament from a purely Villa selfish point of view.

Imagine the clamour for his services if he does well?

16 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Emi is a suitable level goalie for us. People have too high expectations of him. 

Argentina used to have Romero for years, I think Martinez is an upgrade and he helped them winning Copa America after all these years. How many goal keepers are top level? He’s a second tier for sure. I don’t think there are a lot of top tier keepers anyway.

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Goal of the tournament contender

VT: nah, keeper's fault m8

Classic

Bizarre that people seem desperately to find Emi at fault for stuff when he's not even playing for us

• Like 1

Â