Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

We're not Spanish speaking?  Honestly, no idea.

That’s like not calling him Emi or Martinez because were not Spanish speaking. Dibu is his nickname can’t remember why,  similar to everyone calling Mark Hughes Sparky bit strange it hasn’t picked up really.

He apparently looked like a cartoon character that was famous in Argentina, so the name stuck. He doesn't look anything like the character so I can only assume Argentina has a widespread eyesight problem.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

That’s like not calling him Emi or Martinez because were not Spanish speaking. Dibu is his nickname can’t remember why,  similar to everyone calling Mark Hughes Sparky bit strange it hasn’t picked up really.

Kun Aguero never really picked up as people still went with Sergio. Even commentators mainly used Hernandez for Chicharito

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

He apparently looked like a cartoon character that was famous in Argentina, so the name stuck. He doesn't look anything like the character so I can only assume Argentina has a widespread eyesight problem.

The character had loads of freckles, which I believe Emi did as a kid. It had then stuck by the time they faded with age.

On 17/11/2022 at 16:21, Chindie said:

I think you're right.

IMG_20210709_020833.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Did he have no chance to save any?

First goal was a low hard shot that was just inside the far post. Emi was understandably covering his near post so couldn't have been expected to save it.

Second goal was a shot from just inside the area about 5 yards in from the left side. Emi could possibly be too close to the near post so when the shot went towards the far top corner, Emi got fingers to it but not strong enough to stop the ball still looping into the top right corner.

In summary, not at fault for first goal, but could have done better for the second.

• Like 1

1st goal is really poor positioning and 2nd goal is a good finish but you'd expect a top keeper to save a telegraphed shot whipped like that into the far post. It can't go anywhere else.

I just think he's massively dropped off. I can count double digit goals the past 18 months he should have saved.

Â