Emiliano Martínez

hippo

But poor old Jed Steer, he must have thought he was possibly about to get his chance in the PL! :s I'm a bit surprised Smith hasn't decided to give him or Nyland the two or three games till Heaton's able to play again. I guess he doesn't think they're quite good enough even for just the first few matches.

Edited by robby b

8 minutes ago, robby b said:

I suppose Tom Heaton is disappointed about this Martinez deal, I mean he may be fit and healed enough to restart in about a month from now. But he's now perhaps unlikely to be the first choice keeper again if Martinez signs? He might have thought that Dean Smith would just play Steer or Nyland till October rather than trying to get yet another keeper.  Heaton's one of the best keepers in the Premier League but now maybe he'll put in a transfer request and we could lose him. :( He's too good to be a substitute.

Tom Heaton will relish the fight for the jersey, also at his age he wants to remain in the Prem and earn prem wages, so signing another top pro is a positive for him. 

Dean Smith always says you keep the shirt or someone will take it from you, It's brilliant all round for everyone.

1 minute ago, robby b said:

But poor old Jed Steer, he must have thought he was possibly about to get his chance in the PL! :s I'm a bit surprised Smith hasn't decided to give him or Nyland the two or three games till Heaton's able to play again. I guess he doesn't think they're quite good enough even for just the first few matches.

TBF he will probs be no.2 till Xmas. 

41 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Tom Heaton will relish the fight for the jersey, also at his age he wants to remain in the Prem and earn prem wages, so signing another top pro is a positive for him. 

Dean Smith always says you keep the shirt or someone will take it from you, It's brilliant all round for everyone.

I'm pretty certain Heaton won't see Martinez arriving as a positive, he lost his place at Burnley following injury and now is doing the same here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm pretty certain Heaton won't see Martinez arriving as a positive, he lost his place at Burnley following injury and now is doing the same here. 

They all want to play of course and he should be confident in his own ability, because he is class, to be able to get back in but at 34, being at a club like ours and earning good money will hopefully make up for being so unlucky with that injury. Brilliant to have 2 top class keepers though.

We don’t know where Heaton exactly is with his injury, but we do know the type of injury at his age can go either way. Martinez will take the pressure of Heaton and allow him to slowly get back up to full fitness. Great signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

We don’t know where Heaton exactly is with his injury, but we do know the type of injury at his age can go either way. Martinez will take the pressure of Heaton and allow him to slowly get back up to full fitness. Great signing.

I've heard he won't be available until the new year. Worse than first feared.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Sounds horrible but if we have genuine ambition to be a top 6 side Heaton was going to have to be replaced anyway 

Not really horrible. We're not a charity organisation and not much room for sentimentality

• Like 1

According to how its been reported in the papers, Martinez isn't here to compete for the number 1 spot, he had that at Arsenal. He is he because we have guaranteed him starting, in effect telling Heaton he is now number 2. I can see why he might be miffed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

According to how its been reported in the papers, Martinez isn't here to compete for the number 1 spot, he had that at Arsenal. He is he because we have guaranteed him starting, in effect telling Heaton he is now number 2. I can see why he might be miffed.

He needs to back himself and work hard to earn the shirt back whilst taking comfort from the fact that he is earning a fortune to do something brilliant.
Life is full of knocks and he needs to show some stomach for the fight. I am actually sure that he will. He seems like a fighter to me.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not really horrible. We're not a charity organisation and not much room for sentimentality

ye, tbf if Heaton didnt get injured and kind of show us he might be a risk, there would be 0% chance we would be signing another keeper this summer.

feel sorry for him cus he's a great keeper, but cant allow ourselves to be in that position again knowing his recent injury record.

But he did get injured (again), and it left us in a state unfortunately, cant take that risk again i dont think.

• Like 1

Â