Emiliano Martínez

hippo

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Please tell me this guy can catch crosses.

You’ll laugh mate. But I can genuinely say he caught every single cross he went for in those 10-12 games he played for us after the restart. It became a bit weird to me that he was so consistent on them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AerialThreat said:

You’ll laugh mate. But I can genuinely say he caught every single cross he went for in those 10-12 games he played for us after the restart. It became a bit weird to me that he was so consistent on them.

Haha nice.

Incredibly enough. A basic thing like that is something we've struggled with in the past. It's why we brought in Heaton.

8 hours ago, AerialThreat said:

i was reading on the Arsenal forum that Martinez is great at coming for crosses (and taking players out to get to the cross if required)

Almost seems too good to be true, he seem to be a great all round keeper.....i hope its true :(

We have been terribly unlucky with keepers for the last decade or so.....

Heaton is/was a great signing for us last year, but his season finishing injury in Jan did us over.

Edited by MaVilla

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My only doubt is from that 5-5 against Liverpool. Wasn’t he shocking in that game?

Not his finest hour. But after Emery was sacked, Arteta brought in Inaki Cana, formerly Brentford’s GK coach, and neither Martinez nor Leno have looked back. Cana has had a big impact on Emi’s improvement.

Incidentally, we are looking at David Raya from Brentford as Martinez’s replacement on Cana’s recommendation. We also have an Icelandic keeper on the radar, who also worked with Cana before.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I cringe a bit when i hear people saying keepers being good "shot stoppers"

Isn't that their job? Isn't that what they are supposed to do and is payed for?

I know. And those wingers that can cross, and the strikers that score goals. 

Next time I hear anyone want a defender that can win headers I will go ape shit.

Let alone anyone asking for a midfielder to be creative.

I said it near the start of this thread, and seeing as we are imminently about to announce this, I'll say it again..

He was the best keeper in the Premier League since project restart (I'm sad and watched every game as they were all televised)

Genuinely think in 5 years we'll be saying he's the best 'keeper we ever had, wish I could bookmark this post to bring it up again in a few years 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Who was theast Argentinian player we had? I honestly cant think who may have been. 

We haven't had any have we?

The great irony about us was that prior to last season, we'd had Colombians, an Ecuadorian and a Peruvian but no Brazilians or Argentinians (correct me if I'm wrong).

7 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

You're really going to spend £30 million for a back up goalie ?

No - I don’t think we anticipated that they’d play hardball - reckon we thought we could get him for sub £10m.

Thats’s why this Icelandic guy is now being linked as well.

Â