Emiliano Martínez

hippo

21 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

According to how its been reported in the papers, Martinez isn't here to compete for the number 1 spot, he had that at Arsenal. He is he because we have guaranteed him starting, in effect telling Heaton he is now number 2. I can see why he might be miffed.

Especially having left a club he loved to be number one here. But while I understand that we can’t just not sign players to avoid upsetting the ones we have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Especially having left a club he loved to be number one here. But while I understand that we can’t just not sign players to avoid upsetting the ones we have.

It's also why Brighton was never a real story. He wasn't going to leave one Gk competition at a potential Champions League team to have another Gk competition at a middling Brighton.

2 hours ago, robby b said:

But poor old Jed Steer, he must have thought he was possibly about to get his chance in the PL! :s I'm a bit surprised Smith hasn't decided to give him or Nyland the two or three games till Heaton's able to play again. I guess he doesn't think they're quite good enough even for just the first few matches.

Neither of them are good enough.

It's been quite clear Steer isn't good enough for years. It's a shame but it's reality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's been quite clear Steer isn't good enough for years. It's a shame but it's reality.

A lot of you people on Villatalk know a lot more than me about football, so maybe you're right, but I haven't forgotten that he was our keeper during our record-breaking run of ten league wins in a row in our promotion season. And I thought he did well overall in the playoffs too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

A lot of you people on Villatalk know a lot more than me about football, so maybe you're right, but I haven't forgotten that he was our keeper during our record-breaking run of ten league wins in a row in our promotion season. And I thought he did well overall in the playoffs too.

He did very well. But that was one spell. And it was the championship.

Steer has been loaned out by every manager he's had at Villa except Smith. But Smith has been constantly trying to sign new goalkeepers.

So I think it's clear he's not rated by the club, and never has been.

It's a shame for him. I like the guy. But he is not a Premier League keeper

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Steer has been loaned out by every manager he's had at Villa except Smith. But Smith has been constantly trying to sign new goalkeepers.

It's a shame for him. I like the guy. But he is not a Premier League keeper.

I see what you mean, that it's clear he hasn't been highly rated by the club, mainly because they're buying Martinez. At the end of the day they know much better than me how good a keeper Steer is! I guess I may have overrated him a bit and I didn't watch enough whole games that he played on live TV, to have a better understanding.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a shame for him. I like the guy. But he is not a Premier League keeper

Maybe the same was said of Martinez prior to Leno inj. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Yeah! Exactly. At the end of the day, Emiliano Martinez is like a cute fluffy puppy taking a red handbag away? 🤔🙄🤔

Sorry! I think I just got the gif, it's like the Fast Show "I'll get me coat". The dog is leaving (with its bag, not a coat). :s

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Without Steer, we’d still be in The Championship, I feel sorry for him with how he’s been treated. He is a very capable goalkeeper I think 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Without Steer, we’d still be in The Championship, I feel sorry for him with how he’s been treated. He is a very capable goalkeeper I think 

I wouldn't feel sorry for Steer, he was actually a physical part of that promotion. He'll carry that memory for the rest of his life. And he got paid handsomely for it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't feel sorry for Steer, he was actually a physical part of that promotion. He'll carry that memory for the rest of his life. And he got paid handsomely for it.

I can see what you’re saying and I respect your opinion but I don’t think he’s been given a fair crack of the whip here

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I can see what you’re saying and I respect your opinion but I don’t think he’s been given a fair crack of the whip here

I agree with you 😳 but we have to trust that those at the club know better than we do..... There is no place for sentimentality at this level. He'll be an icon of the club for what he did but that doesn't mean he's owed a few games to see how he goes .... Doesn't work like that sadly.

• Like 4

Â