Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Whilst this feels like a good signing I'm a bit concerned about how little football he's actually played. Only 71 appearances since 2012....at any level. Yes, he did well for Arsenal when Leno got injured but that seems like a very small sample size to not only spend 20m on but also guarantee him the no.1 spot. 

Like any player, a keeper's form comes and goes but a loss of confidence from a keeper can see them go into terminal nosedives. With so few games under his belt we don't know what he's made of and so this is a big gamble, not only from the perspective of the investment but also in terms of the effect on Heaton. Fingers crossed it pays off.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Whilst this feels like a good signing I'm a bit concerned about how little football he's actually played. Only 71 appearances since 2012....at any level. Yes, he did well for Arsenal when Leno got injured but that seems like a very small sample size to not only spend 20m on but also guarantee him the no.1 spot. 

Like any player, a keeper's form comes and goes but a loss of confidence from a keeper can see them go into terminal nosedives. With so few games under his belt we don't know what he's made of and so this is a big gamble, not only from the perspective of the investment but also in terms of the effect on Heaton. Fingers crossed it pays off.

I'm pretty sure it won't take him long to get to grips with first team football again. He will of at least kept himself fit, practiced and trained where ever possible so he should fit straight into the team.

To be honest I am surprised Arsenal have let him go and it seems one of the reasons is to recoup money they spent so crazy that they just didnt have. Arsenal have already eyed a 10 mill replacement up it seems, So if they want the Brentford keeper, If the Brentford keeper is so good then I would like to know why we didnt go for him then??

Hope to god this mean all or most the stupidness is cut out and we have a real good keeper on our hands who makes less mistakes that Nyland, has the Reaction time of Reina and The saving abilities of Heaton.

Hopefully this will be it for a keeper for a while but I think something should tell us that we should be saving up for another keeper this season or certainly next, we go through keepers worse than strikers.

32 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Is he better than the other keepers except Heston that we have? From what I saw, absolutely yes... better than Heaton, no idea. But I think £20 million is not that much anymore in football transfer terms, All premier league clubs are now spending this sort of money on run of the mill players. 

Plus.... if he can earn us an extra few points that end up keeping us up, well worth the money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

TBF, we can't afford it. 

What makes you think we cant afford it? There certainly has been no indication we are having money troubles or struggling to throw cash about when attempting to sign anyone 

But if you talking about having a keeper get cracking with games and form then I do think your right but I also think we have other keepers who can pick up the slack if it was that bad 

I dont think we have a problem at all unless he gets injured 

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

What makes you think we cant afford it? There certainly has been no indication we are having money troubles or struggling to throw cash about when attempting to sign anyone 

I meant can't afford to offer Steer time on the pitch - every point counts. Deffo send him out on loan with a recall. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

I meant can't afford to offer Steer time on the pitch - every point counts. Deffo send him out on loan with a recall. 

I love steer and it absolutely is wrong that we keep him if we cant play him. The bloke is wasting away and it is wrong and I hate how he came up with us and wasnt given the shot in goal to impress. We should of at least found out what he could do in the premier, i think he would of surprised alot of people. Steer is another one like Hourihane who always seems to step up and get rid of his doubters.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

He isn't Nyland. That is the main thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I love steer and it absolutely is wrong that we keep him if we cant play him. The bloke is wasting away and it is wrong and I hate how he came up with us and wasnt given the shot in goal to impress. We should of at least found out what he could do in the premier, i think he would of surprised alot of people. Steer is another one like Hourihane who always seems to step up and get rid of his doubters.

I think a goal keeper is too risky a position to figure out if they will be any good or not, that can be the difference between staying up or going down, look at Nyland, if wasn’t for a once in a million games technology glitch we would be in the Championship right now. Steer has got character but I think it’s pretty apparent he is not a premier league goalkeeper.

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think a goal keeper is too risky a position to figure out if they will be any good or not, that can be the difference between staying up or going down, look at Nyland, if wasn’t for a once in a million games technology glitch we would be in the Championship right now. Steer has got character but I think it’s pretty apparent he is not a premier league goalkeeper.

Deffo - might have it, but there are hundreds of millions riding on it - glad to see we're being ruthless - even if perhaps we need not be. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Steer wasnt given the chance for the Club, Squad, Fans to even find out if he was Premier quality. We went up and like many of our promotion heroes, we threw them to the side like they did nothing and while many I agree couldn't make the jump up, a couple may of actually surprised us.

Steer I think should of been given games here and there so we could of found out because we are now yet again at the question mark icon over Steers head.

For all the games, points we wasted last season before lock down so early in the season because we were so hell bent trying to win games rather than protect points, we could give Steer games so early on in the season and no harm would of been done.

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Steer wasnt given the chance for the Club, Squad, Fans to even find out if he was Premier quality. We went up and like many of our promotion heroes, we threw them to the side like they did nothing and while many I agree couldn't make the jump up, a couple may of actually surprised us.

Steer I think should of been given games here and there so we could of found out because we are now yet again at the question mark icon over Steers head.

For all the games, points we wasted last season before lock down so early in the season because we were so hell bent trying to win games rather than protect points, we could give Steer games so early on in the season and no harm would of been done.

He got injured. That's life and I really rate him. I'm sure getting paid a week what some people make in a year will soften the blow. If we stuck with him and he made some errors people would complain we didn't sign a better keeper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'm pretty sure it won't take him long to get to grips with first team football again. He will of at least kept himself fit, practiced and trained where ever possible so he should fit straight into the team.

To be honest I am surprised Arsenal have let him go and it seems one of the reasons is to recoup money they spent so crazy that they just didnt have. Arsenal have already eyed a 10 mill replacement up it seems, So if they want the Brentford keeper, If the Brentford keeper is so good then I would like to know why we didnt go for him then??

Hope to god this mean all or most the stupidness is cut out and we have a real good keeper on our hands who makes less mistakes that Nyland, has the Reaction time of Reina and The saving abilities of Heaton.

Hopefully this will be it for a keeper for a while but I think something should tell us that we should be saving up for another keeper this season or certainly next, we go through keepers worse than strikers.

Because he would be a reserve keeper. Martinez will not be our reserve keeper.

Heaton cost 9 mill, the Brentford keeper will cost 10, we will have paid less for our reserve keeper.

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Is he better than the other keepers except Heston that we have? From what I saw, absolutely yes... better than Heaton, no idea. But I think £20 million is not that much anymore in football transfer terms, All premier league clubs are now spending this sort of money on run of the mill players. 

Plus.... if he can earn us an extra few points that end up keeping us up, well worth the money.

I hear he is connected to Charlton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don't have him imprisoned in the Villa Park dungeon. He could put in a transfer request if he is not happy. He seems content to be where he is. I think he either lacks ambition or he is not confident in his own ability.

• Like 1

This is nonsense. Steer was Heaton’s number 2 and would have had loads more games than Nyland last season (probably all cup games plus the league games while Heaton was out), were it not for that injury.

I think Smith has been more than fair with Steer, but the lad’s just been unlucky. Now a good, PL quality keeper’s on the market, and we’ve bought him for what is now a pretty bog standard fee. Don’t see what the problem is.

• Like 2

Â