Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Lol the responses. If I wasn't a Villa fan I'd think you're all cracked tbh.

Ok. Keep believing there was literally anything we could do about them going, you’ve been given enough information to come to the right conclusion. Can take a horse to water.

• Like 2

I blame the club for not knowing about the quarantine rule requirements in Brazil if what Emi says is true. Surely the club knew the rules about entry in to Brazil.

If they instead thought that Argentina had negotiated a pass and that the rule didn't somehow apply to professional footballers (much like it didn't during the copa America), then they're pretty much faultless.

Even if the inferred Emi version of events is true, it's still only a minor point in the scheme of things. 

Sounds a lot like Brazil FA told them one thing, and the Brazil health organisation determined another. Which, if true,  throws as much shade on Brazil as it does Argentina. 

Fifa are also being made to look like idiots (what's new...) for expecting these fixtures to go ahead as if covid doesn't exist. Disillusioned with football more every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can see why they went, but they're not guaranteed starters when they get back, for me. If their replacements have a decent game against Chelsea, these two should need to fight to get their shirt back.

Nah not for me. As much as I like Steer and how he was great during the Championship run it, Martinez is 3 times the goalkeeper. Arguably in the top 5 in the world at the moment. If he's back and fit he's got to start.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Ok. Keep believing there was literally anything we could do about them going, you’ve been given enough information to come to the right conclusion. Can take a horse to water.

Says it all really. You haven't proven anything, you've simply expressed an opinion based on the situation at hand, as I have. "The right conclusion." I can only assume you learned to condescend like that while arguing with your own reflection.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Whilst a little worrying - it would command a mahoosive fee to interest us. 

not saying we should sell him but he’s worth upwards of £75m at least and for a keeper that’s massive. 

personally I’d rather keep him 

We couldn’t find a better keeper, or certainly not one who’d come to a non-European competition team. If he wanted away (Atletico is a big step up) then we name our price. £100m would soften the blow - or he can stay. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

We couldn’t find a better keeper, or certainly not one who’d come to a non-European competition team. If he wanted away (Atletico is a big step up) then we name our price. £100m would soften the blow - or he can stay. 

I imagine At Madrid may look to re-sign De Gea and ‘bring him home’ if they’re looking for a replacement for Oblak. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adman said:

As a grown adult, perhaps he should have found out about the quarantine rules that applied to his trip

Mate, that’s just not the world these lads live in. They have people cooking their meals, booking their travel, paying their bills, etc. Every detail of their life is handled by someone. That’s PL football these days. You would believe the AFA if they told you they had sorted it with the Brazilian FA but more likely the conversation didn’t ever come up - they were just told “a driver will pick you up here to get on your private jet.”

If you think Mings, for example, investigated the quarantine rules to check he was fine to go to Hungary last week you’re mistaken. Not the world they live in.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Do we need anymore proof now that these players are to blame? Clearly something they all decided to do. 

We were then clearly forced into a compromise. Dean Smith publicly stated he didn't want them to go. He wouldn't have said that to a journalist if they were agreeing a compromise. 

We had to compromise because they left us no choice. 

Technically the rules actually say even if the players said they didn’t want to go, all the power lies with the Argentinian FA. Martinez could say “I don’t want to go” and technically Argentina could still have him banned for the aftermath of every international break he doesn’t report for. 

I mean I don’t think you’re wrong that the players wanted to go, I just think what has happened (public health officials on the pitch aside!) is exactly what will happen every international break so no-one is “to blame” apart from FIFA and governments - both the club and the FAs are just trying to operate within those rules which do not line up with each other.

4 hours ago, Awol said:

Well this all sounds very familiar…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

If his replacement does a good job against Chelsea then I think it's only fair Emi will need to wait his turn. I mean he's been a bit shaky of late anyways. 

I would normally agree with this sentiment but the drop off from Emi to the next best is enormous. It’s much bigger than any other position in the team. The way we play exposes our GK to lots of work. If Emi is available he must (and probably will) play.

Â