Emiliano Martínez

hippo

36 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What’s the betting, despite the ruse of  getting them to Croatia where they can train together, we won’t be seeing them in the Villa starting  XI for a while longer than the club hoped?

Croatia is on the "green watch list" at the moment. If it moves to amber, if they're not fully vaccinated then they'll need to self isolate at home for 10 days after getting home...

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Croatia is on the "green watch list" at the moment. If it moves to amber, if they're not fully vaccinated then they'll need to self isolate at home for 10 days after getting home...

Well even if Croatia remains green, there might also be other issues that crop up. I mean the plan hasn’t really gone swimmingly up until now has it?

10 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Well even if Croatia remains green, there might also be other issues that crop up. I mean the plan hasn’t really gone swimmingly up until now has it?

Indeed, it has been quite the spectacular f*** up. At least it should give the two Emis pausefor thought next time this happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

Indeed, it has been quite the spectacular f*** up. At least it should give the two Emis pause for thought next time this happens.

Aye. The initial arrangement (2 games) was a good compromise solution, I think, but the farce of the game last night was something else. That looks like the mother of all Doh!. Between the Argentina FA, Brazil FA and then Brazil health agency it's just a massive clusterpork of the sort you only get when there's a real rivalry between 2 nations and incompetent officialdom.

Like you say. you'd wonder if the players next time will take a different view on going. I suspect they'll still go, but it's likely to firm up the hand of the clubs and focus on the red list status of the nations being played against, if the UK is still on whoever's red list.

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s because they won’t have to self isolate when travelling from Argentina to Croatia so can train with each other for 10 days before returning to the Uk. Croatia is not on uk red list so as they will have spent previous 10 days there, they are free then to join up with the Villa squad without having lost fitness by completing a uk hotel room quarantine.

jeez. 10 days of isolated quarantining with a colleague - i'd be getting done for murder by the end of that

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

Aye. The initial arrangement (2 games) was a good compromise solution, I think, but the farce of the game last night was something else. That looks like the mother of all Doh!. Between the Argentina FA, Brazil FA and then Brazil health agency it's just a massive clusterpork of the sort you only get when there's a real rivalry between 2 nations and incompetent officialdom.

Like you say. you'd wonder if the players next time will take a different view on going. I suspect they'll still go, but it's likely to firm up the hand of the clubs and focus on the red list status of the nations being played against, if the UK is still on whoever's red list.

Even thoiugh we can't stop them, I suspect they won't go. The next two Argentina games are away to Paraguay on 7 October, and home to Peru on the 12th. Assuming that both Paraguay and Argentina are still on the red list then, and the players do the Croatia stopover thing once more, then Martinez and Buendia would miss the games against Wolves  (H) and Arsenal (A). If ths situation is the same in November they'd miss games against Palace and Brighton.

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

jeez. 10 days of isolated quarantining with a colleague - i'd be getting done for murder by the end of that

Has anybody actually checked what the rules are in Croatia for people coming from Brazil or Argentina? You'd have hoped that they'd checked, but the way this has gone it's a probably a year in prison.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

Even though we can't stop them, I suspect they won't go. The next two Argentina games are away to Paraguay on 7 October, and home to Peru on the 12th. Assuming that both Paraguay and Argentina are still on the red list then, and the players do the Croatia stopover thing once more, then Martinez and Buendia would miss the games against Wolves  (H) and Arsenal (A). If this situation is the same in November they'd miss games against Palace and Brighton.

I think they'll go, but we'll see. I dunno what Peru and Paraguay have in terms of the UK being on a red list or not - if those nations require a 10 day quarantine for UK based people, then that's more likely to be the deciding factor IMO. But if they don't, then the players will likely go if called up, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

There isn’t another travel list update until 23rd September, though green watch list countries may move more fluidly. Besides, predicting what the government decides in terms of classification (cough, Poland) has been hilariously impossible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think they'll go, but we'll see. I dunno what Peru and Paraguay have in terms of the UK being on a red list or not - if those nations require a 10 day quarantine for UK based people, then that's more likely to be the deciding factor IMO. But if they don't, then the players will likely go if called up, I reckon.

It's not Peru, Pete. Argentina are at home to them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's not Peru, Pete. Argentina are at home to them.

My bad. Argentina and Paraguay, then  - is or will the UK be on their red list equivalent at the time of the games (as was the case with Brazil).

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

They're people, not assets. It's their right to play for their country when called upon. Representing your country should be the pinnacle of any footballer worth his salts career and the club was right to accommodate their desire to play.

People are assets to employers and they didn't have the right to play for their country in Brazil and never did.  Whoever looks after the players at Villa should have checked their eligibility and stopped the players entering Brazil before the players left the UK. It's not rocket science I could have checked it in 5 minutes but it's not my job. Douglas must have known that he couldn't play in Brazil, why wasn't that information used? Embarrassing 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

People are assets to employers and they didn't have the right to play for their country in Brazil and never did.  Whoever looks after the players at Villa should have checked their eligibility and stopped the players entering Brazil before the players left the UK. It's not rocket science I could have checked it in 5 minutes but it's not my job. Douglas must have known that he couldn't play in Brazil, why wasn't that information used? Embarrassing 

Clubs are not allowed to stop their players playing for their country. FIFA issued an announcement on it literally days before we had to allow them to go.

It is Argentina and the players' fault this happened. The players I can understand as they were allegedly told they would not be selected again if they missed it. 

This is not the club's fault. 

• Like 1

Â