Emiliano Martínez

hippo

29 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they changed the restrictions for entering from Argentina as retaliation to being beaten in the Copa. It’ll never officially be that but it’s like something they would do. 

Probably more to do with the fact that the Brazilian FA has complied with requests to forgo European based call ups while Argentina hasn't. Brazil is probably annoyed about playing a fixture where they are missing 9 key players, while Argentina are fielding a full strength team. 

I am not 100% but maybe Brazil would have had to conceded the match 0-3 if they didn't fulfil the fixture. Stopping it midway through might have been a way of avoiding that possibly. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 4

Brazil volunteereemd to host the Copa this summer after 2 other countries backed out. They handed out exemptions for all the countries participating.  This was a stunt nothing more. Bureaucrats doing what they do best and pissing on everyone's fun. Glad it's done and the players are getting out of there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

They were never going to be playing against Chelsea from the moment we decided they could join up with the Argentina squad. We knew that and to be honest I'm fine with players missing one game to go and represent their national teams. 

They'll be back in time for the Everton game. I guess the frustrating thing is that given Buendia hasn't played a single minute for Argentina and the farce that happened last night Argentina really didn't need to call them up in the first place.

It's going to be a big ask for them to be ready for Everton. If they arrive in Croatia tomorrow (flight time plus 5 hours time difference) they won't be allowed back into the UK until the actual day of the Everton game. Having not trained with the rest of the squad for the best part of a month. Extremely unlikely to say the very least.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's going to be a big ask for them to be ready for Everton. If they arrive in Croatia tomorrow (flight time plus 5 hours time difference) they won't be allowed back into the UK until the actual day of the Everton game. Having not trained with the rest of the squad for the best part of a month. Extremely unlikely to say the very least.

But the whole point of Croatia was so they could still train, I'd imagine we'll send a coach or someone out to train them for a few days until they can rejoin. Even if Buendia can only start from the bench Martinez will definately be fine to play 

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'd imagine Martinez comes straight back in. He's a keeper with a settled back four in front of him so I don't see a particular issue with that.

In reality they'll have missed a week longer than Mings, McGinn or any of our other players who have been on international duty this week (not sure there's actually that many to be fair!). If they keep fit in Croatia then I wouldn't be surprised if both are in the starting lineup for that Everton game.

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

jeez. 10 days of isolated quarantining with a colleague - i'd be getting done for murder by the end of that

They'll need to get back up to match fitness, when they return......this is becoming a joke.

It's been confirmed that they'll arrive in Madrid then Croatia tomorrow, which means they can't leave Croatia until the Saturday of the Everton game. In my opinion there's no chance of either of them starting the game in those circumstances. 

Just now, Risso said:

It's been confirmed that they'll arrive in Madrid then Croatia tomorrow, which means they can't leave Croatia until the Saturday of the Everton game. In my opinion there's no chance of either of them starting the game in those circumstances. 

they'll be greeted at all the airports by agents tapping them up.

25 minutes ago, Risso said:

Players travelling a few hours to play a game is nothing new - I’d imagine they’ll be on a private plane that morning, Martinez will start, Buendia on bench. Lack of time with team training not really a problem for Martinez having played consistently behind a settled defence over the last year.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Risso said:

Where? If they arrive in Madrid by midnight they’ll be ok to leave Croatia next Friday. It’s a 12 hour flight and I’m sure this has been considered.

They may not even need to arrive by midnight at all as they still left Argentina today whether or not they arrive somewhere else.

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The whole point of Croatia is to remain match fit and be available for Everton. 

Wonder if Villa will send a coach to train with them? Or perhaps they just hire people already out there. 

Edited by birdman

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

Wonder if Villa will send a coach to train with them? Or perhaps they just hire people already out there. 

We have Kalinic out there, he must have some contacts. Make him useful for once :P

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sounds like Spurs players didn’t have permission to go. They just went anyway. Glad our players reached a compromise with the club rather than just going against their wishes.

Cue the ‘very weak from Villa for reaching a compromise with our best player’ 

Do we need anymore proof now that these players are to blame? Clearly something they all decided to do. 

We were then clearly forced into a compromise. Dean Smith publicly stated he didn't want them to go. He wouldn't have said that to a journalist if they were agreeing a compromise. 

We had to compromise because they left us no choice. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do we need anymore proof now that these players are to blame? Clearly something they all decided to do. 

We were then clearly forced into a compromise. Dean Smith publicly stated he didn't want them to go. He wouldn't have said that to a journalist if they were agreeing a compromise. 

We had to compromise because they left us no choice. 

But then as already mentioned why is it only Argentina players adamant to go? It’s because of the pressure the AFA put them under. 

I can see why they went, but they're not guaranteed starters when they get back, for me. If their replacements have a decent game against Chelsea, these two should need to fight to get their shirt back.

Edited by Davkaus

Â