Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

If you don't know about this guy (surname pronounced 'Arse'), then are you really a Villa fan? 😉

He played alongside Jimmy Brown and Barrie Hole in midfield.
Once, the programme (which only printed surnames) listed them in a particular order. Often comes up in 'funny' programmes/articles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1704104.stm 

You do know that never happened!! Very funny though. I'd also heard that Frank Large was in that line up too!!!

It's not pronounced Arse either but I shouldn't spoil a good story!!

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think the thing stopping me getting excited about this transfer is tom heaton, I really rate him and like him and I cant help but think that its a shame that he came here too old and then got injured rather than be our keeper for 5 years

Agreed about it being ashame for Heaton but we got half a season out of him before a big injury. We owe him nothing and football is ruthless in that aspect.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

If we do pay £20m for him, that would be more than Arsenal paid for Leno, and would make Martínez the 8th most expensive goalkeeper of all time
Not saying we shouldn’t pay that much, it just seems like a lot, but things have moved on in the last few years in terms of £££.

Wow!...didnt realise that. Epitomises the Premier League of 2020 and how things have progressed since we were last here. 

IMO, still a very solid signing in a vital and much under-rated position where we are craving stability and quality. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think the thing stopping me getting excited about this transfer is tom heaton, I really rate him and like him and I cant help but think that its a shame that he came here too old and then got injured rather than be our keeper for 5 years

Heaton is a really good shot stopper, but I did have reservations with his athleticism and distribution, I think Martinez will improve us in that respect. Bottom line is that if we get Martinez in there is no major panic to rush Heatons recovery, and when he is back 100% fit we’ll have two GKs we know we can rely on. No doubt to me though that Martinez will be No.1 when fit. We’re in a much better place if we sign Martinez.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Agreed about it being ashame for Heaton but we got half a season out of him before a big injury. We owe him nothing and football is ruthless in that aspect.

Yep, it could well be because of his age and serious injury, he himself has thought about his future. Big insurance payout secures his future and compensates us towards a new keeper. Not much fun having lots of money and being restricted for the rest of his life through continual damage.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

its the new norm, danny ward the 3rd choice keeper at Liverpool went to Leicester last summer for around £12.5m despite only playing 2 games in 3 years (and 0 so far for Leicester)

that's why the extra subs thing was a terrible idea that was rightly shot down, Chelsea have a string of £15m players in their squad who have spent 5/6 years on loan elsewhere and will never kick a ball for them

To be fair with regards to Danny Ward we were after a no.2 who could challenge and push Schmeichel, whilst at the time we bought him and also in recent windows Schmeichel has been linked with moves away so we wanted someone who could step up if he left or good enough for an extended run if Schmeichel got a serious injury

Unluckily for Ward Schmeichel has been in great form for club and country and barely been injured so Ward has only really got a chance in the cups

Also Liverpool are just masters at getting good money for back up players

Edited by Fox1884
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

😆

We need to offload them at the earliest opportunity!

Think there would be some takers (we could fool!).

somewhat incredibly, Nyland and Kalinic are both internationals for pretty decent teams, so thats got to add to their appeal.

7 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Heaton is a really good shot stopper, but I did have reservations with his athleticism and distribution, I think Martinez will improve us in that respect. Bottom line is that if we get Martinez in there is no major panic to rush Heatons recovery, and when he is back 100% fit we’ll have two GKs we know we can rely on. No doubt to me though that Martinez will be No.1 when fit. We’re in a much better place if we sign Martinez.

Is he a sweeper keeper type of GK?

23 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Don't ruin the fun!!! We are in a post-truth age.

nah, 15 years ago I could have told some bloke in the pub this and he would have had no choice but to believe. Now, 30 seconds on a smartphone discovers your web of lies. its rubbish

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

somewhat incredibly, Nyland and Kalinic are both internationals for pretty decent teams, so thats got to add to their appeal.

I wouldn't be surprised if either or both do OK at different clubs. Goalies especially are vunerable to 'getting off to a bad start' and never recovering. A fresh start in a different team is sometimes all they need to reinvigorate their careers. 

• Like 2

I presume this has already been posted, but if not...

He looks really good (YouTube disclaimer notwithstanding) and two things strike me - 1) he rarely spills anything. The ball either sticks or he pushes it away from dangerous areas; 2) he can reach all four corners of the goal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Nyland's international career hasn't been tremendous, truth be told. 2 matches for Norway in 2017, 2 matches in 2018, one in 2019 (against Malta in November), none this year. Still, he should have some appeal and he should be interested in a move himself, to get his career up and running again.

Â