Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I hope he’s the real deal. The only worry is that he hasn’t done anything in his career until hitting a purple patch for half a dozen games during the restart. 

I hope we’ve done our homework and are basing it on more than that. Otherwise it’s not really any different to buying a player because they had a good World Cup. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Dean Smith can't attract players? Dean Smith persuasive speech persuades Emiliano to sign for Villa.

I’ll tell you what, the gaffer means business as do the owners. The lion is hungry and wants to feed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I hope he’s the real deal. The only worry is that he hasn’t done anything in his career until hitting a purple patch for half a dozen games during the restart. 

I hope we’ve done our homework and are basing it on more than that. Otherwise it’s not really any different to buying a player because they had a good World Cup. 

Well, they do say goalkeepers get better with age. 

9 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

With out focus on getting players in who can connect with other recruits, I wonder if Buendia might be an option once Martinez is in: take advantage of the Argentinian connection?

Clutching at straws?

The Noah's ark recruitment programme 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

This guy based on age and number of appearances should be costing about £3 million.

He did however look spectacular in the games he played last season.

its the new norm, danny ward the 3rd choice keeper at Liverpool went to Leicester last summer for around £12.5m despite only playing 2 games in 3 years (and 0 so far for Leicester)

that's why the extra subs thing was a terrible idea that was rightly shot down, Chelsea have a string of £15m players in their squad who have spent 5/6 years on loan elsewhere and will never kick a ball for them

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Don’t know why we keep him around. 

Lot's of clubs have keepers that are third choice. They'll barely play apart from the odd U-23 game, may go on loan, but are basically just cover and get paid a wage to be that. it's hard on them but given that they are only ever in competition for one spot and the usual incumbents very rarely get injured, they are well adverse in bench sitting. At the top level its not an easy job but he can stay with us, get paid well, train with the first team, be on hand for the youngsters etc or go two divisions down, and stay there as first choice.

17 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

With out focus on getting players in who can connect with other recruits, I wonder if Buendia might be an option once Martinez is in: take advantage of the Argentinian connection?

Clutching at straws?

jack nicholson yes GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Well that's the beauty of the signing. He's coming here to be number 1 and with heaton injured the shirt is his. Its only his performances that will dictate whether he loses that shirt. That usually takes a minimum of 6 weeks by which time Heaton should be fit enough to step in, if not steer for a game or two. Its now Smith holding the aces (should Martinez sign) rather than players knowing they are going to be picked because the back-ups are not good enough.

• Like 3

If we do pay £20m for him, that would be more than Arsenal paid for Leno, and would make Martínez the 8th most expensive goalkeeper of all time. 
Not saying we shouldn’t pay that much, it just seems like a lot, but things have moved on in the last few years in terms of £££.

16 minutes ago, Nicho said:

This guy based on age and number of appearances should be costing about £3 million.

He did however look spectacular in the games he played last season.

Valuations have gone to pot. I can’t make sense of any of the prices paid for players in major leagues in Europe now. However, experience and age don’t seem to matter as much as: how much is a team willing to pay? How much can the selling team hold out for? And what story or comparison can be crafted around the player.

The valuation proposition of players used to make sense: it was like 80% ability 20% hype (with some notable exceptions). Over the last few years (probably just before our relegation actually), these numbers have been reversed: the player’s narrative now represents a huge proportion of their perceived value.

Presumably this is why we have been shopping in Belgium and other leagues that aren’t as flush with cash, but that also place a greater emphasis of their valuations on perceived player ability, rather than the hype train.

Thats a long winded way of saying: I have no idea what’s going on with transfer fees.

• Like 1

if the market dictates his value then there's little point in ill educated opinionated one-eyed football fans saying how much they'd prefer to pay. I think 20m is too high too, but market forces in England set the price - that's where the negotiations come in. Don't forget Arsenal also don't want to sell, which also sets the price slightly higher because that is his value to them. Also, if you look at the cost of other goalkeepers that go from one English club to another than from the ill-informed looking from the outside it kind of sits at where a goalkeeper of his apparent ability should be.

• Like 3

Â