Emiliano Martínez

hippo

7 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Valuations have gone to pot. I can’t make sense of any of the prices paid for players in major leagues in Europe now. However, experience and age don’t seem to matter as much as: how much is a team willing to pay? How much can the selling team hold out for? And what story or comparison can be crafted around the player.

The valuation proposition of players used to make sense: it was like 80% ability 20% hype (with some notable exceptions). Over the last few years (probably just before our relegation actually), these numbers have been reversed: the player’s narrative now represents a huge proportion of their perceived value.

Presumably this is why we have been shopping in Belgium and other leagues that aren’t as flush with cash, but that also place a greater emphasis of their valuations on perceived player ability, rather than the hype train.

Thats a long winded way of saying: I have no idea what’s going on with transfer fees.

Think we need to reset the transfer valuations because it is obscene. Divide all transfers by a factor of ten and start again. At this rate we will see the first ever billion pound player in our lifetimes and that makes me incredibly uncomfortable

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Some comments from 2 Arsenal fans I know and another who hates Villa 😄

Arsenal fan 1 -

"Very good keeper mate. In the games he played last season he was superb!

I’d hate it if Arsenal sell him but Arsenal need the cash" 

Arsenal fan 2 - 

"I think he is great too

Seems like a nice guy that has always been in the background of the club and overlooked but always ready" 

Villa hater - 

"I love Heaton

Loved*

Martinez is quality. Shame they spent so much on Leno" 

How can any Arsenal fan have beef with Villa? Unless he was at Highbury in 81 and still smarting. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He be a decent back up to Trezeguet

fair point but the plan is to get him working with Jota so he can learn about playing wide and cutting in. My ITK said the club are worried that selling Jota will upset Messi so lansbury is on a Spanish speakers crash course to keep him onside. Not in a football sense ha ha ha ha.

Edited by peterw

I really hope this works out. I think the signs are very good. It seems like years since we last had a really good gk. I know Heaton looked promising but he was not in the team long enough to really make the spot his own. This could be a huge step forward for us

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Think we need to reset the transfer valuations because it is obscene. Divide all transfers by a factor of ten and start again. At this rate we will see the first ever billion pound player in our lifetimes and that makes me incredibly uncomfortable

Yep, it’s mental. Needs to be a wage cap as well. Everything need bringing down.

Never going to happen though is it?

What a crazy, senseless & unjust world we live in...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I really hope this works out. I think the signs are very good. It seems like years since we last had a really good gk. I know Heaton looked promising but he was not in the team long enough to really make the spot his own. This could be a huge step forward for us

I agree. I’m excited for him and for us and to see how this one pans out. We could be getting ourselves a first rate keeper for the next 8-10 years if all goes well. 
I do sort of wonder if all the clips of Heaton back on grass and training was a bit of a double bluff to make other clubs think we aren’t quite so desperate? It would be a real shame as I did like Heaton and he gave our back four a lot of confidence, not to mention he was a good shot stopper. 
I suppose the only misgiving with Martinez is that he’s played so few competitive games so far in his career. But a lot of that is because he was loyal to a club that didn’t really repay that loyalty. 
From the rumours I’ve heard I think/hope this one will go through over the weekend.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How can any Arsenal fan have beef with Villa? Unless he was at Highbury in 81 and still smarting. 

The Villa hater is a 3rd person, he doesn't follow a specific Prem team, just watches for the football. 

"I used to go when I was younger as my aunty is a season ticket holder. Remember them booing a young Peter Crouch coming on as a sub... For Villa..." 

From a 4th mate who I used to live in Coventry with (we both moved for Uni from North Wales). I came back over for a night out and on the way back to Wales I suggested we should go watch Villa. It was Sherwood's 1st home game, against Stoke. 

"I have to say, Aston Villa was probably the nastiest crowd i've ever sat in. 

I just remember ringing in my ears.... "Benteke you word removed!!!!" over and over again"

Loved Villa Park though 😄

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I agree. I’m excited for him and for us and to see how this one pans out. We could be getting ourselves a first rate keeper for the next 8-10 years if all goes well. 
I do sort of wonder if all the clips of Heaton back on grass and training was a bit of a double bluff to make other clubs think we aren’t quite so desperate? It would be a real shame as I did like Heaton and he gave our back four a lot of confidence, not to mention he was a good shot stopper. 
I suppose the only misgiving is that he’s plays so few competitive games so far in his career. But a lot of that is because he was loyal to a club that didn’t really repay that loyalty. 
From the rumours I’ve heard I think/hope this one will go through over the weekend.

Heaton & Cutler will be great mentors for him (just get Nyland as far away from him as possible) and Tom will push him to perform at his best once fit too. We will have a genuinely top class GK department for once.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Heaton & Cutler will be great mentors for him (just get Nyland as far away from him as possible) and Tom will push him to perform at his best once fit too. We will have a genuinely top class GK department for once.

Totally agree.

Nyland and Kalinic can just make them a cuppa or something! 

11 minutes ago, randy_69 said:

Oscar Arce (1967) was first

If you don't know about this guy (surname pronounced 'Arse'), then are you really a Villa fan? 😉

He played alongside Jimmy Brown and Barrie Hole in midfield.
Once, the programme (which only printed surnames) listed them in a particular order. Often comes up in 'funny' programmes/articles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1704104.stm 

Edited by Pez1974
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

If you don't know about this guy (surname pronounced 'Arse'), then are you really a Villa fan? 😉

He played alongside Jimmy Brown and Barrie Hole in midfield.
Once, the programme (which only printed surnames) listed them in a particular order. Often comes up in 'funny' programmes/articles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1704104.stm 

Urban myth, they never played together (as the BBC article actually points out). 

Â