Emiliano Martínez

hippo

28 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

nah, 15 years ago I could have told some bloke in the pub this and he would have had no choice but to believe. Now, 30 seconds on a smartphone discovers your web of lies. its rubbish

I've got to be honest, I do other things in 30 seconds on a smartphone. 

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I presume this has already been posted, but if not...

He looks really good (YouTube disclaimer notwithstanding) and two things strike me - 1) he rarely spills anything. The ball either sticks or he pushes it away from dangerous areas; 2) he can reach all four corners of the goal.

Comments under the video say a lot too 

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I presume this has already been posted, but if not...

He looks really good (YouTube disclaimer notwithstanding) and two things strike me - 1) he rarely spills anything. The ball either sticks or he pushes it away from dangerous areas; 2) he can reach all four corners of the goal.

The trouble is that shot stopping is really a given but to be a top keeper you need to show that next level, whether it’s something like your command of the area on corners or your ability to play as a sweeper when the ball is up the field. 

We don’t really know what Martinez has in his locker because we have seen so little of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randy_69 said:

Oscar Arce (1967) was first

According to wiki  , technically he didn't play for us as he never made a first team appearance ?  (neither did his brother who joined at the same time) 

so Martinez could be the first Argentine or the 4th Argentine depending on how you  look at it :)

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The trouble is that shot stopping is really a given but to be a top keeper you need to show that next level, whether it’s something like your command of the area on corners or your ability to play as a sweeper when the ball is up the field. 

We don’t really know what Martinez has in his locker because we have seen so little of him. 

Shot stopping is usually a given, but how many keepers have we been through since Shay Given's decline?

34 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Shot stopping is usually a given, but how many keepers have we been through since Shay Given's decline?

Shay Given? I count him as one of the many *meh* keepers we've had since maybe Friedel, but definitely Bosnich (James wasn't too bad but he will never get a free pass since 2000).

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

According to wiki  , technically he didn't play for us as he never made a first team appearance ?  (neither did his brother who joined at the same time) 

so Martinez could be the first Argentine or the 4th Argentine depending on how you  look at it :)

I believe they were signed though and played quite a bit for the reserves. Gustavo Bartelt was just on trial - saw him play in a friendly away at Bromsgrove Rovers and to he looked absolute gash!

Therefore my vote is to say he would be the 3rd Argentinian 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peterw said:

Shay Given? I count him as one of the many *meh* keepers we've had since maybe Friedel, but definitely Bosnich (James wasn't too bad but he will never get a free pass since 2000).

I was thinking that he was the last half decent keeper who was in the team for a while.  Guzan was crap but in there for while too.

Since then we've had Gollini, Bunn, Johnstone, Steer, Nyland, Kalinic, Heaton and Reina. That's 8 goalkeepers in 4 seasons.  Not a great base for a team.

Even having someone competent that will be there for a while would be a big help.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I was thinking that he was the last half decent keeper who was in the team for a while.  Guzan was crap but in there for while too.

Since then we've had Gollini, Bunn, Johnstone, Steer, Nyland, Kalinic, Heaton and Reina. That's 8 goalkeepers in 4 seasons.  Not a great base for a team.

Even having someone competent that will be there for a while would be a big help.

I agree, I felt Given was outstanding for us in the latter stages of his Villa career.

Out of the keepers you mention mate, I felt Johnstone had some promise to him and it's a shame we couldn't sign him in the end.

Everything else though I agree. We have lacked a really good commanding goalkeeper since Brad Friedal imo.

Hopefully this Martinez chap puts a stop to our goalkeeper fiasco and makes the No.1 shirt his now and for many years to come.

The Curse of Given ... Perhaps the GK position is cursed for us, don’t seem to have had any luck there since Shay and before that Freidel. 
Maybe get Nyland to piss in each of the four corners of the pitch 😆 He’d probably piss on his own shoes but it could work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Martinez and Heaton would give us a really strong goalkeeping department. I get that people feel sorry for Heaton, he’s a very good keeper and a likeable man. He was instrumental in keeping us up even though he missed half a season with injury. His experience and leadership was sorely needed last season. 

Would he want to be a number two? Well as far I’m aware he only played 23 games for Burnley across the two seasons before he joined us. So he has experience of the bench. He would push Martinez’s performance up when he’s back from injury, we wouldn’t need to rush his recovery, he would still get games in cups and is perfect cover if Martinez was to lose form or get injured. 

Shay Given played less than 40 games for us in a 4-year stint. He was at the club for a while, but not necessarily in the team. \he was even farmed out on loan to Boro whilst with us. He was just our Cup keeper in the end so hardly someone who stood out with stellar performances later in his Villa career. In all, as I said, just a *meh* keeper we signed on a 5 year deal on stupid wages that was just a pointless signing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Would he want to be a number two? Well as far I’m aware he only played 23 games for Burnley across the two seasons before he joined us. So he has experience of the bench. 

Well that's why he joined us though wasn't it? To no longer be a number 2.

Just now, Rodders said:

Well that's why he joined us though wasn't it? To no longer be a number 2.

Yeah but shit happens and he got injured. If he’s not fit to start the season then the club have to take action. It’s a shame for him but he’ll have chance to force his way back in, but he’ll have to be better than Martinez. 

Â