Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I think he's been outstanding recently.

Holding on to absolutely everything. Every sniff of a shot on his goal.

Making sure with every half chance. Once in the first half he came flying out and made a 10% chance for Forest a 0.1% chance.

• Like 2

The importance of emi not only on the pitch but off it is becoming greater by the week.

You can see he knows how much the club the fans the other players value him and you can see how much that excites and what it means to him.

Add in our dramatic improvement by having an actual manager and the only way I can see him leaving in the next 3 years is if he has a falling out with emery which there is no sign of happening.

His status around the world has massively increased, you can see that in post match comments from random non villa fans from around the world.. only won because of emi and other daft comments.

Having such a winner and good egg will also raise villa's profile further to potential signings, seeing the 2nd most important player in the world Cup winning team being happy and continuing to improve his game ( his ball control and passing has got better under emery) adds that extra plus to our clubs appeal.

We just need to keep the personal touch with not just him but all of our players ( the videos of congratulations to him after 34 clean sheets, the video welcoming duran) those little things are a masterstroke by whoever thought them up, while money obviously is one of the reasons players sign, gaining reputation, the chance to win things and being wanted and welcomed and appreciated I would think would also rank pretty high.

• Like 3

Just now, turvontour said:

The Harvey Barnes goal and a Benrahma penalty the only two goals hes conceded in his last ten games for club and country.

Bonkers stat

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I thought his distribution was brilliant today, he kept finding Moreno. Seemed to be his favourite route to the left back high up the pitch. 

He used to do that a lot with Grealish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForeroGabe said:

Anyone else see the comments Emi made after the game in the tunnel. “7 Finals left, let’s go”. Absolute class, this guys a World Cup winner he knows the mentality we need to get Europe. 

Is that what he said, that's brilliant.

Was worried when Cuts left that he might drop performance a bit. The opposite has happened. Got the bit between his teeth now.  The right decisions time after time. Against Newcastle when he flew out to the touchline i worried for a second. But he cooly changed from a foot first to a sliding challenge and executed it perfectly. 

• Like 1

He's the best keeper we've ever had, surely?

Unless one of the older heads tells me about Jimmy Rimmer etc in the 70s/80s.

But his comparison to Mark Bosnich is becoming a bit poor now (as good as Mark was).

• Like 2

Bosnich was an iconic goalkeeper at a time when we were very good and he will always have hero status amongst fans of the 90’s. However Martinez is a much better keeper. Emi can match Bosnich’s penalty save heroics but add to that his accurate distribution and complete command of his area, his shot stopping and outstanding leadership.

It’s clear Emi is better now. No disrespect to Bosnich but even the most nostalgic fan would need to get their claret and blue specs checked if they can’t see this. 

• Like 1

Â