Emiliano Martínez

hippo

On 12/03/2023 at 23:42, Tom13 said:

"Tottenham have specific interest in Dibu Martinez and may make an offer in the coming weeks."

I think we could win a trophy before spuds at this rate. Talk about sideways step 😂

13 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think if Spurs were to scrape into the top 4 then Martinez would be interested. He wants to play at CL level and is unlikely to do that with us. 

Depends if he just wants to play in the CL every other season or be competitive in the CL.  Yes, we aren’t either but if Emi does leave us I assume he’d want to go to a club in the latter and not as tempted by the former.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think we could win a trophy before spuds at this rate. Talk about sideways step 😂

It's ridiculous they've not even won a domestic trophy with the squad they've had over the last few years, but there are no neutrals in the world who think that Villa to Spurs is a sideways step.

We might get top 7 next season which would be an enormous success. It'd also match their lowest finish in over a decade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's ridiculous they've not even won a domestic trophy with the squad they've had over the last few years, but there are no neutrals in the world who think that Villa to Spurs is a sideways step.

We might get top 7 next season which would be an enormous success. It'd also match their lowest finish in over a decade.

Calm down it was a piss take.

Two reasons it won't be Spurs...they won't pay for him and he'll want to move to somewhere that has a real chance of winning the CL.

Spurs are approaching the end of the Kane/Son era, and I don't see them transitioning to a better club overnight when it ends. They'll struggle before they get back to the level they're at, not to mention the fact that they're both past their prime. Kane maybe has a year more at peak due to his relatively late bloom but they're very soon going to go backwards.

Martinez just got voted the best keeper in the world. And even if you don't belive it, Emi certainly will. He'll have his sights set higher if he's moving on. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Depends if he just wants to play in the CL every other season or be competitive in the CL.  Yes, we aren’t either but if Emi does leave us I assume he’d want to go to a club in the latter and not as tempted by the former.

Depends what his options are.  How many teams are genuinely that much more competitive in the CL compared to Spurs (who reached the final, what, 5 seasons ago)?  We're probably talking Man City, Liverpool, Bayern, Real, Barca maybe PSG.  Probably about it?

Can't see him going to any of those clubs, personally.

• Thanks 1

We don’t sell our best players to Spurs, doesn’t happen,  honestly can’t remember the last time we sold a key player to them and I don’t think it’s ever happened in my lifetime. They couldn’t buy Benteke from us when we were battling relegation every season and couldn’t buy Grealish when we were in the Championship. Now we are very much a midtable team looking to get into Europe regularly so higher in the food chain, they have played CL this season but last season and the season before they were playing in the lesser European competitions. Since we started going shit in 2010 we have both reached three finals and lost them all so likelihood is Martinez would win nothing there anyway so if it’s trophies he’s after spurs should be a no go. 

Not saying they aren’t better than us, they are and have been since 2011, we should never have let a similar sized team get so far ahead of us, especially one like spurs run by levy who is a complete tight arse with investment albeit a very shrewd businessman, but blame Lerner for that.

But I just don’t think martinez would go a team that doesn’t win things when he’s said that’s what he wants, either way the only way spurs have a chance of signing him is if they make top 4. Still think Liverpool will sneak that final place although they’re doing a good job of messing it up. I also don’t think levy would sanction a huge offer for a 30 year old goalkeeper because, let’s face it, we aren’t selling him for anything less than £60m and the likelihood is it’ll be even higher than that.

• Like 1

He's only obtainable to a few clubs, those that can pay £70m plus for a goalkeeper, and those that already have a squad good enough to be challenging for top honours, neither of which applies to Spurs.

"and those that already have a squad good enough to be challenging for top honours"

By which I mean, a club like Tottenham aren't likely to buy him even if they could just about afford to, because they need to improve more of their team if they want to challenge in Europe and for titles, if they were to buy Martinez it wouldn't leave much left for them to strengthen the rest of their team, doesn't make any sense whatsoever for Spurs to sign him, they only would if they could get him for half of what he's worth, I actually doubt Spurs would even pay that for a keeper.

They might not even be in Champions League next season anyway, before last weekend since early November Liverpool's form had actually been pretty good, very close to Man City and not far off Arsenal,  I wouldn't rule them out of catching Spurs.

Not sure why people are so obssessed with talking about him leaving anyway, another example of our fans being defeatist losers with no ambition. If there are reliable reports of him wanting to leave or other clubs making a bid then fair enough, but there have been no such reports, so not even worth talking about, clickbait media and fans of other clubs will try and sell off our better players as it is, without our own fans needing to join in.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Depends what his options are.  How many teams are genuinely that much more competitive in the CL compared to Spurs (who reached the final, what, 5 seasons ago)?  We're probably talking Man City, Liverpool, Bayern, Real, Barca maybe PSG.  Probably about it?

Can't see him going to any of those clubs, personally.

I agree but I also cant see him wanting to go to the tier below that includes the likes of Spurs, even if they were willing to pay for him the money we'd want.  Maybe he would because it may be his only chance, plus London, plus more money but it just doesnt seem like a move that is going to happen.

8 hours ago, useless said:

Spurs would never pay the money it would take to buy Martinez, conversation dead.

Spurs have signed 2 players this season plus Porro that are more than our record transfer

With Villa goggles off we would not get 50 million for Emi 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Spurs have signed 2 players this season plus Porro that are more than our record transfer

With Villa goggles off we would not get 50 million for Emi 

But why would we sell him then?  Yes players have immense power but we are going to sell him cheap.  If he wants to go and we get a reasonable price then we have little choice but I’m assuming our asking fee minimum would be more than 50m…we have the length of his contract, World Cup winner, it’s not going to be cheap.  We’ll understand if he asks to leave but we’ll say only if we get a minimum fee and he’ll understand that as well…

• Like 1

Â