Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I said I’d never fall in love with a player again, after Gresford. But I honestly love Martinez far more than I ever did Jack. He’s a monster of a goalkeeper and such a nice man, an amazing character. I’m happy to become a stupid fan even though I know he’ll leave one day. Enjoy him while we have him, but I do think he’s going to be here for a few years yet. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

Hi! Something like that, yes. I've been reading the thread since page 1, up to 189 now, seeing some discontent with Dibu's international citation. Looking forward to getting to the world championship posts, heh.

Emi holds a special place in my heart. Sure, Messi's the great, possiblty goat, etc etc., but fact of the matter is Messi was going to retire winless from our national team, a travesty from all points of view, until Dibu (Emi's knickname in Arg) showed up. We absolutely don't win anything without him. In a sense, he saved Messi's career, the backlash Lio would've faced if he retired from Argentina without a single trophy was going to be enormous. You can tell Messi LOVES him: after the penalties against Netherlands, everybody in the team goes off to celebrate with our last scorer, except Messi, who realizes Dibu is alone in the other side and goes looking for him. His eyes practically lighted up when Emi received the BEST award for goalkeeping.

Personally, 2022 was the worst year of my life, dealing with post-pandemic depression and anxiety, a very bitter breakup of a relationship of 5 years less than two days before my granny died, my country going to hell at crazy speeds... and then the world championship came and somehow I could still manage to be happy again, if for a while, and Emi played a big part in that, I'll treasure him forever.

Hope he can bring you guys a trophy as well. And if not, enjoy the ride, he's absolutely a generational player.

Oh boy. I hope you have a better 2023 in your personal life 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen the part of the video when he did the sit down with wright when he talks about the bruno pen miss at OT? I literally love him

Yep the full episode is linked on here somewhere. He’s such a quality bloke. 

20 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I said I’d never fall in love with a player again, after Gresford. But I honestly love Martinez far more than I ever did Jack. He’s a monster of a goalkeeper and such a nice man, an amazing character. I’m happy to become a stupid fan even though I know he’ll leave one day. Enjoy him while we have him, but I do think he’s going to be here for a few years yet. 

This. He is just top class and I don't think he wants to leave anytime soon, if ever.

Probably one of, if not the best Villa players we have had in my lifetime whilst supporting this club.

Add to that being a world cup winner speaks for itself.

Agent Emi is also working on luring some of his world cup winning pals to sign for us.

What is not to love about this guy. He definately falls into the legend bracket by a country mile.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

So many fans of other clubs just think he is a dickhead not realising that it is his on field persona.

Let them think that, He's our dickhead! 😁

Most of these other fans would sell their grandma to have Emi as their goalkeeper.

So F*** 'em and their jealousy.

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 19:26, Daulmakan said:

Hi! Something like that, yes. I've been reading the thread since page 1, up to 189 now, seeing some discontent with Dibu's international citation. Looking forward to getting to the world championship posts, heh.

Emi holds a special place in my heart. Sure, Messi's the great, possiblty goat, etc etc., but fact of the matter is Messi was going to retire winless from our national team, a travesty from all points of view, until Dibu (Emi's knickname in Arg) showed up. We absolutely don't win anything without him. In a sense, he saved Messi's career, the backlash Lio would've faced if he retired from Argentina without a single trophy was going to be enormous. You can tell Messi LOVES him: after the penalties against Netherlands, everybody in the team goes off to celebrate with our last scorer, except Messi, who realizes Dibu is alone in the other side and goes looking for him. His eyes practically lighted up when Emi received the BEST award for goalkeeping.

Personally, 2022 was the worst year of my life, dealing with post-pandemic depression and anxiety, a very bitter breakup of a relationship of 5 years less than two days before my granny died, my country going to hell at crazy speeds... and then the world championship came and somehow I could still manage to be happy again, if for a while, and Emi played a big part in that, I'll treasure him forever.

Hope he can bring you guys a trophy as well. And if not, enjoy the ride, he's absolutely a generational player.

Welcome to the board fella. Hope you can find some light this year - and hopefully the Villa family can help you with that! Who knows, the way we are playing you might see Emi lift a few more trophies with us! Time for you to become a Villa fan!

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 19:26, Daulmakan said:

Hey;

Sorry for your loss and tough time, i hope life is getting better for you.

Question if you dont mind, how is Dibu seen in Argentina?, is he now a national hero?, i know he will never be adored/loved on Messi's level, but considering he played such a part in the Copa America win, then also such a huge part in the world cup win, including the last minute save in the final, plus the multiple shoot-out heroics, does Dibu have some sort of hero/legend status with Argentinians now?, where do you think he ranks on both the current list of beloved players, and the historic list? (if at all).

Or, is he just seen as "the keeper" who did a bit for Argentina....... 😜

Thanks

6 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

Sorry, didn't mean to put on such a sour note, but it really was a shit year. I'm doing better now, thank you all for the well wishes. 😃

He most certainly is! Every non-casual argie knows we ended our 28 year drought of titles only when Dibu became a permanent feature, and not a minute before, despite having prime Messi for over a decade (two finals lost against Chile, the humilliation).

From our current crop of players, no one is more beloved than Dibu other than Messi, and I'd be hard pressed to tell you who would be #3 (before the World Cup it was probably De Paul for his awesome performance against Brazil in the Copa America final, but he fell off a cliff after all his shenanigans with his separation/new GF and his terrible World Cup display). If it means anything, it is a common occurrence among my whatsapp groups to use Messi and Dibu-related stickers, but no other argentinians really.

Too early to tell in historical terms as he's still playing, but worse case scenario, I'd say he ends up at #2 as argentinian goalkeeper behind '78 world champion Ubaldo Fillol. Here's a poll where Dibu ranks just behind him (site is usually trash but that poll is probably accurate, most old timers I know concur that Fillol was the best they saw). I didn't get to see Fillol, so to me Dibu is easily the best goalkeeper I've seen in our national team in my 41 years of life. In overall terms, it's tougher; I'd say he's more beloved than Fillol and everybody else save Messi, Maradona, and maybe Kempes/Batistuta (and that's debatable). 

I guess this is a good time to show off my newest acquisition:
spacer.png

Great stuff mate love that acquisition too!  

A Dibu question if I may.  Is it easy to get his World Cup/Copa America Jersey?  I have been looking everywhere and it's just Messi you can get here!

Would love to purchase an Argentinan Goalkeeper Shirt with Martinez 23.  Think Addias are missing a trick.

Keep smiling and welcome to Villatalk.

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen the part of the video when he did the sit down with wright when he talks about the bruno pen miss at OT? I literally love him

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

Sorry, didn't mean to put on such a sour note, but it really was a shit year. I'm doing better now, thank you all for the well wishes. 😃

He most certainly is! Every non-casual argie knows we ended our 28 year drought of titles only when Dibu became a permanent feature, and not a minute before, despite having prime Messi for over a decade (two finals lost against Chile, the humilliation).

From our current crop of players, no one is more beloved than Dibu other than Messi, and I'd be hard pressed to tell you who would be #3 (before the World Cup it was probably De Paul for his awesome performance against Brazil in the Copa America final, but he fell off a cliff after all his shenanigans with his separation/new GF and his terrible World Cup display). If it means anything, it is a common occurrence among my whatsapp groups to use Messi and Dibu-related stickers, but no other argentinians really.

Too early to tell in historical terms as he's still playing, but worse case scenario, I'd say he ends up at #2 as argentinian goalkeeper behind '78 world champion Ubaldo Fillol. Here's a poll where Dibu ranks just behind him (site is usually trash but that poll is probably accurate, most old timers I know concur that Fillol was the best they saw). I didn't get to see Fillol, so to me Dibu is easily the best goalkeeper I've seen in our national team in my 41 years of life. In overall terms, it's tougher; I'd say he's more beloved than Fillol and everybody else save Messi, Maradona, and maybe Kempes/Batistuta (and that's debatable). 

I guess this is a good time to show off my newest acquisition:
spacer.png

I knew he was big but not to that extent. I guess if someone took a poll now of their favourite ever player it would be Messi / Maradona/ Martinez. 

One thing. Whats the Dibu burger taste like ? 

13 hours ago, S-Platt said:

A Dibu question if I may.  Is it easy to get his World Cup/Copa America Jersey?  I have been looking everywhere and it's just Messi you can get here! Would love to purchase an Argentinan Goalkeeper Shirt with Martinez 23.  Think Addias are missing a trick.

Well, this is embarassing. No, no it isn't. Even the regular Argentina shirt is very hard to come by. As crazy as it sounds, only ONE workshop in the entire country manufactures them, and they're also responsible for most of the other sporting brands in the country. Add our idiotic import restrictions and summer vacation in the company (*facepalm*), and the result is that seeing someone in the street with the original 3 star shirt is considered RARE, almost half a year after the World Cup! 

There's probably other, better ways in Europe, but maybe you can try subscribing to our local adidas site to let you know when (IF) it is back in stock and check out if they ship internationally, though I doubt it.

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

One thing. Whats the Dibu burger taste like ? 

Ashamed to say I don't know. I always avoid cheddar and bacon, so I haven't tried it. Mostaza is a local burger chain, not in the level of gourmet ones but I prefer ir over McDonald's/Burger King.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2023 at 20:26, Daulmakan said:

Interesting that you read the thread and then said that about the pandemic (👊 keep going kid)

There was definitley a wobble here when him and Buendia flew out for the game post pandemic and had to isolate and missed a Villa game (?) and then there was the trouble with them being in Brazil etc etc

The argie FA seem like a bunch of mad bastards so it feels like a proper crossroads, if Emi hadn't played that game they'd have replaced him and who knows what, without knowing all the details it sounds like another example of villa going him right, we gave him the chance that arsenal didn't, we let him go to Argentina when maybe other clubs wouldn't have, it is pretty crazy that we saw how good he is and no one else did

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Interesting that you read the thread and then said that about the pandemic (👊 keep going kid)

There was definitley a wobble here when him and Buendia flew out for the game post pandemic and had to isolate and missed a Villa game (?) and then there was the trouble with them being in Brazil etc etc

The argie FA seem like a bunch of mad bastards so it feels like a proper crossroads, if Emi hadn't played that game they'd have replaced him and who knows what, without knowing all the details it sounds like another example of villa going him right, we gave him the chance that arsenal didn't, we let him go to Argentina when maybe other clubs wouldn't have, it is pretty crazy that we saw how good he is and no one else did

We owe Neil Cutler a lot. 

He's the one that pushed for this deal. 

Dean Smith was so so on the idea initially, but was convinced to act. Says a lot about both men. Emery is obv a more 'out in front' coach who does the lot and is a bit of a control freak. But there's a lot to be said for Deano's collaborative approach too. 

• Like 3

Â