Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

43 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Jacob Ramsey scored twice against Arsenal for us in pre season, I think he could be ready to start for us now. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. For me, Jacob Ramsey is a much better footballer than Hourihane. Plus, Jacob Ramsey ripped up league one during his loan spell at Doncaster Rovers and he signed a new contract with us, so I think he’ll be in Smith’s thoughts

Fine young player - but I'm not sure he'll be in the first team on opening day. 

I don’t think we should be that far behind them in fitness. We played 4 pre season friendlies, two against prem opposition and one of those on the opening day of the season. The players that hadn’t been that involved in the friendlies were used in the cup game. 

OGS used their lack of pre season as an excuse for being piss poor. I would be annoyed with us if our fitness levels aren’t high. 

It will be a tough game though and a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world provided we beat Fulham.

Looking forward to tonight, although a short preseason it’s still felt like an age for our first game to arrive. A draw would be an acceptable result given how well Sheff Utd did last year, but I want them to go all out for the win. I’m a lot more confident with Watkins up front, Grealish committed and happy, and the defence looking tighter. Could be a tight game until the first goal goes in. 

Ive money on Watkins to score first, if I had to back a score line, I’d probably say 1-1. 

32 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t think we should be that far behind them in fitness. We played 4 pre season friendlies, two against prem opposition and one of those on the opening day of the season. The players that hadn’t been that involved in the friendlies were used in the cup game. 

OGS used their lack of pre season as an excuse for being piss poor. I would be annoyed with us if our fitness levels aren’t high. 

It will be a tough game though and a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world provided we beat Fulham.

Non sense.

Nobody has had great pre seasons.

It's all about mentality, attitude and desire.

Their players even played in the Europa League and that is not too long ago.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Non sense.

Nobody has had great pre seasons.

It's all about mentality, attitude and desire.

Their players even played in the Europa League and that is not too long ago.

I think you misunderstood me. My point, maybe badly made, was that OGS shouldn’t be using lack of pre season to excuse a poor performance especially when they played against us the week before and some of their players were involved in Internationals.

My overall point was that we should also be fit and raring to go and I will be disappointed if we aren’t.

Looking forward to watching this. Since furlough I have been put on to night shifts. Cant yet sleep in the day. BUT I know I am fortunate to have kept my job when others around me have not and I get to watch the games 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think you misunderstood me. My point, maybe badly made, was that OGS shouldn’t be using lack of pre season to excuse a poor performance especially when they played against us the week before and some of their players were involved in Internationals.

My overall point was that we should also be fit and raring to go and I will be disappointed if we aren’t.

No, point made.

I just highlighted even more the stupidness of that post match interview.

It usually takes 4-5 games for teams to get into full match fitness and that is the same for all teams.

Blades has already played a game but i don't think one game will make that great of a difference.

Sheff Utd will be sharper than us and potentially more aggressive since they have lost their first league game of the season.

A lot of teams so far have conceded at least two goals so far this season I cannot see us being any different with Mings and Konsa at the back.

Potentially this will be a high scoring game with us conceding at least two goals. 

I really think this game is very, very important, and is kinda as close to a 'must win' as we can have to start the season:

• Sheff Utd might be a struggling team this season, so we can't be letting them get easy points (like Bournemouth last season).
  • We need a boost before we play Fulham...them and the Boggies already look screwed, so we need to start well.
  • If we are going to make good signings in the rest of the window, starting well against these and Fulham will help, given what comes afterwards.
  • Confidence...imagine the difference Watkins scoring tonight will have on him and the team

23 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I really think this game is very, very important, and is kinda as close to a 'must win' as we can have to start the season:

• Sheff Utd might be a struggling team this season, so we can't be letting them get easy points (like Bournemouth last season).
  • We need a boost before we play Fulham...them and the Boggies already look screwed, so we need to start well.
  • If we are going to make good signings in the rest of the window, starting well against these and Fulham will help, given what comes afterwards.
  • Confidence...imagine the difference Watkins scoring tonight will have on him and the team

couldn't disagree more. putting too much emphasis on first games of the season is dangerous. it's nice to start well, sure, but we don't NEED to. the words 'must win' and 'first game of the season' just do not belong in the same sentence. tonight will be good for the lads to play knowing they have 37 games after this one, and not with the pressure they were under post lockdown.

keep the defensive principles that kept us up, but have a bit more freedom in attack. win, lose or draw, i'll be happy if that's our approach

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m thinking maybe a 1-1 draw now... which I would take, but obv prefer a win. 

There hasn't been a single draw in the league so far. I can't see this one being a 0-0 so we will have to expect to win. 

I'm expecting a big performance from McGinn and Trez. Hopefully with an inform striker we can put away a few chances. I think we will win 3-1. 

Traore with assist and Watkins goal for the winner 2:1 villa

Nice comfortable possistion in the league with still  a game in hand over most teams 

UTV

of course course I know traore is not playing, but he will cheer so loud from stands Watkins will be inspired , hence his assist