Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

Would love a statement of intent win from this, 3-1 or something would give so much confidence for Fulham. Probably a draw is more likely.

Thought Sheffield were pretty poor v Wolves so could be second season syndrome case. WIlder went with last season's team for that but think he'll make some changes, can see likes of Bogle and Ethan Ampadu starting for them.

We certainly need to win one of the first two as we have tough games in October so danger we go down the endless cycle we've been on for a decade of people talking us up and we still struggle to win many games.

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

That was Solskjaer’s excuse yesterday. We need to be at it because SheffYoo certainly will be

ye, we will need to be at it, but fitness is a thing, especially with two similar ability teams (not like there is such a gulf in class that fitness isnt a factor)

but ye, we cant use it as an excuse, we need to go toe to toe and match intensity.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would love a statement of intent win from this, 3-1 or something would give so much confidence for Fulham. Probably a draw is more likely.

Thought Sheffield were pretty poor v Wolves so could be second season syndrome case. WIlder went with last season's team for that but think he'll make some changes, can see likes of Bogle and Ethan Ampadu starting for them.

We certainly need to win one of the first two as we have tough games in October so danger we go down the endless cycle we've been on for a decade of people talking us up and we still struggle to win many games.

when was the last time we beat Sheff utd?

pretty sure we didnt beat them in the champ in our last season, and we got a loss and a draw out of the last season (with the magical not a goal thing).

Our recent history of results against them isnt stellar.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

when was the last time we beat Sheff utd?

pretty sure we didnt beat them in the champ in our last season, and we got a loss and a draw out of the last season (with the magical not a goal thing).

Our recent history of results against them isnt stellar.

We mugged them with the last minute Snoddy goal at Bramall Lane in Jan 2018 (they battered us for most of the game but Johnstone made 3-4 excellent saves).

I agree we've struggled with their formation and intensity previously so it would be a good sign for next 8 months if we could take on a team we've struggled against in recent years and beat them comfortably on our own terms, would show DS is learning quickly at least.

Thought we had the better chances in the 0-0 in June and after that they lost at Newcastle, Man. United, Southampton and Leicester so their excellent away form isn't a thing now.

I agree the disadvantage we have is the lack of games. We are 100% going to be a bit behind them in fitness & match sharpness, as Man U were against Palace the other day. Will be tough. In the circumstances i would be ok with a point though of course a win would be fantastic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My team for this match would be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Jacob Ramsey

Traore Watkins Grealish

Subs: Steer, Guilbert, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Samatta, Davis

Haven’t read much in the last couple of days and I know Hourihane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but not even on the bench, is he injured?

46 minutes ago, smg said:

Haven’t read much in the last couple of days and I know Hourihane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but not even on the bench, is he injured?

I'd be surprised if Hourihane doesn't start. He was a huge part of our last 4-5 games last season. 

I also don't think Cash will start at RB, expect Elmo to line up there. Martinez will start in goal as we need his influence between the sticks. 

4 hours ago, smg said:

I just don’t think his general play is Premier League quality. He played a big role in our promotion winning season. His set pieces are excellent though. 

In my opinion, if he played in the Premier League in central midfield, he would just get overrun 

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, if he played in the Premier League in central midfield, he would just get overrun 

He has played in the Premier league in central midfield. I think he'll start tomorrow. I don't think he's by any means a long term solution, but he's a safer bet than Lansbury or Ramsey right now.

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Well we start our campaign tomorrow night in what has been a mental start to the season. Loads of goals, no draws at all yet and a frantic start by all teams.

So... 0-0 tomorrow yeah?!

I'll take it over 0-2!

17 hours ago, penguin said:

They do come across as a bunch of bitter clearings in the woods.

Imagine there’s more than a pang of jealousy as they are seemingly just happy to pocket the Premier League money whilst we are free spending.

This continual obsession regarding the “phantom goal” is so laughable as well, as if we were so lucky with technology and that’s the sole reason we stayed up. Let’s ignore the stonewall penalty VAR didn’t give us in the SAME game and the numerous horrendous calls we’ve had throughout the season and who knows if that game would have even finished 1-0 had it been given? Idiots.

Other teams are going to hope/expect results against them because whether they accept it or not in terms of individual quality they are right down there.

I find it funny that hardly anyone ever mentions that in the same half utd should of had a goal for that, we had two penalty decision not looked at, one of which was guaranteed a penalty.

9 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I can see us winning this by a few. We’ll be well up for it and the additions of Watkins and Martinez will add a new dimension to us. 

I think Sheff Utd are in for a rude awakening this season. 

What you forgot cash already.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He has played in the Premier league in central midfield. I think he'll start tomorrow. I don't think he's by any means a long term solution, but he's a safer bet than Lansbury or Ramsey right now.

Jacob Ramsey scored twice against Arsenal for us in pre season, I think he could be ready to start for us now. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. For me, Jacob Ramsey is a much better footballer than Hourihane. Plus, Jacob Ramsey ripped up league one during his loan spell at Doncaster Rovers and he signed a new contract with us, so I think he’ll be in Smith’s thoughts

Edited by sir_gary_cahill