Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

On 11/09/2020 at 12:40, alreadyexists said:

Martinez
Cash    Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz

McGinn                Hourihane

Trezeguet       Watkins        Grealish

Maybe won’t have Martínez... but that’s a fair guess I think. Could even have a wide forward by then too (Rashica?).

Think we'll see this team, good guess if so! Traore to come off the bench assumimg he's eligible  

For the record, I'd go with Fred over Cash if it was me picking. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I actually think if you look over the comments on this thread there is absolutely nothing said about Sheff U that is derogatory in any way. It just makes their retaliatory comments even more unjustified and repulsive and angers me. 

we must be slipping.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My team for this match would be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Jacob Ramsey

Traore Watkins Grealish

Subs: Steer, Guilbert, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Samatta, Davis

I like that team most of all.

I wonder how the ref is going to call it as its Graham Scott the referee.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I actually think if you look over the comments on this thread there is absolutely nothing said about Sheff U that is derogatory in any way. It just makes their retaliatory comments even more unjustified and repulsive and angers me. 

Again it shows how every other fan is obsessed with the Villa , where as we Villa fans tend to forget that there other teams out there - until its time to play them 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My team for this match would be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Jacob Ramsey

Traore Watkins Grealish

Subs: Steer, Guilbert, Hause, Taylor, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Samatta, Davis

Just can't see Traore starting if he hasn't played 90 minutes (or indeed any minutes) since July as was reported in his thread.  If anyone has details of him playing some friendlies (and he was registered in time) then I'd start him too. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Again it shows how every other fan is obsessed with the Villa , where as we Villa fans tend to forget that there other teams out there - until its time to play them 

It's ok I live in Sheffield with all these yorkie puds as I call em, I even have utd fans in the family now so the walkers get stick off me about being a utd fan and I get stick of them bei g a Villa fan. 

You should hear it when I wear my Grealish shirt that me mum got me before she passed. Guaranteed a utd fan will open there mouth and try say something but never get it from Wednesday fans (maybe that is because they are truly S**t and a bunch of pigs.

One thing I've never got used to and when I first came to sheffield is how men call each other love n  duck n other things. I remember first arriving at sheffield and having a bloke call it me in shop I said ain't bloody gay piss off because down Midlands if you went round saying that youd be on floor lol. Like I said I've still not got used to it and it's stupid to hear.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Quite right. I think they should focus on their own team rather than slagging off ours and our fanbase. Too much hatred in football which isn't necessary. 

• Like 1

They do come across as a bunch of bitter clearings in the woods.

Imagine there’s more than a pang of jealousy as they are seemingly just happy to pocket the Premier League money whilst we are free spending.

This continual obsession regarding the “phantom goal” is so laughable as well, as if we were so lucky with technology and that’s the sole reason we stayed up. Let’s ignore the stonewall penalty VAR didn’t give us in the SAME game and the numerous horrendous calls we’ve had throughout the season and who knows if that game would have even finished 1-0 had it been given? Idiots.

Other teams are going to hope/expect results against them because whether they accept it or not in terms of individual quality they are right down there.

• Like 1

Reading a few more comments this morning shows how out of touch they are about us. Saying we were lucky to get promoted, lucky to stay up, lucky not to go bust. Should be grateful to finish 17th, blah blah blah. 

How about we flip the other side of the coin and say we were ridiculously unlucky from 2011-16, to go from challenging for a European place every season to flogging our best players and replacing them with shiiiite like N'Zogbia and Ireland who went from high performing Prem players to cannon fodder, battling relegation every season and then losing our place in the top league for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Or how rather than being lucky to go up, we underperformed for most of the season then turned it on in the final dozen games with clearly on paper probably the best squad in the league. Or how we were lucky in the game against them but totally unlucky against Palace and Arsenal away to come away with nothing and lose three key players in the space of 2 weeks in December/January which completely derailed us. 

And no, 17th is not the goal this season thank you very much. 

We may have had a bit of good fortune over the last 2 years but it's been long overdue. If we're looking at lucky teams you only need to look in the direction of Chelsea and Man City who are run by oligarchs. 

• Like 2

Football fans hate others for many reasons, one is they see another team as simply a 'bigger' team. Take Villa for example, our haters know we are back, and they also know we practically invented football, our history is magnificent and we should now look to get back to where we belong. Another fact is everyone knows we are loaded too and one of the richest clubs in Britain.

The fact we now have a Brazilian and Argentinian internationals playing for us is also a reflection of how better we are. Last season I thought we'd have a better season and if not robbed of three of our better players for half the season we'd have been much higher up the table.

I don't know where Sheff. Utd finished last season and I do not care either but one thing is certain is they will struggle to do any better.

They might beat us as an opening fixture can be tough to predict however we should be better than them. If we carry on with our form from the last few games of last season and improve with our new acquisitions then I'm confident.

UTV 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Football fans hate others for many reasons, one is they see another team as simply a 'bigger' team. Take Villa for example, our haters know we are back, and they also know we practically invented football, our history is magnificent and we should now look to get back to where we belong. Another fact is everyone knows we are loaded too and one of the richest clubs in Britain.

The fact we now have a Brazilian and Argentinian internationals playing for us is also a reflection of how better we are. Last season I thought we'd have a better season and if not robbed of three of our better players for half the season we'd have been much higher up the table.

I don't know where Sheff. Utd finished last season and I do not care either but one thing is certain is they will struggle to do any better.

They might beat us as an opening fixture can be tough to predict however we should be better than them. If we carry on with our form from the last few games of last season and improve with our new acquisitions then I'm confident.

UTV 

Agree but I think it's important we get a positive result tomorrow. It's only the first game of course but I think it's important we start well to build momentum and hit the ground running. Of our first 8 home fixtures 7 are against teams we can beat (Liverpool the only one you'd say we'll almost certainly lose).

Sheff U finished 9th last season and had a fantastic season, one of the best in their history and certainly their best in the Prem years. They'll be very hard pressed to better that and as I said I do think this season will be more of a struggle for them, but at the same time we must respect them for what they did last season and match their effort and work rate from the off.

UTV

• Like 1

13 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Judging from the quality of some of the football I’ve seen today, not much of an advantage.

Why do you say that? Only one team yesterday was playing their first PL match of the season...Man U, and they looked off the pace the entire match.

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Think we'll see this team, good guess if so! Traore to come off the bench assumimg he's eligible  

For the record, I'd go with Fred over Cash if it was me picking. 

I agree, but if Fred is off, then I'd actually being inclined to go with Elmo over Cash. First game of the season, so I'd go with someone who has been there done that than a new signing up to the PL for the first time.

Considering we're at home tomorrow, I'm a bit concerned that out of the 14 matches played so far, 9 of them have been away wins! :s So it looks like home teams are missing the fans advantage quite a lot. The other five were home wins though, not a single draw yet! Draws are so passé.

i wonder if Sheff utd having more games under their belt will impact the game, this will effectively be the first competitive game most of our players have played for a couple of months.

Im under no illusion that Wilder will have his team ready to fight/compete from the off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i wonder if Sheff utd having more games under their belt will impact the game, this will effectively be the first competitive game most of our players have played for a couple of months.

Im under no illusion that Wilder will have his team ready to fight/compete from the off.

That was Solskjaer’s excuse yesterday. We need to be at it because SheffYoo certainly will be