Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

15 minutes ago, wedge said:

No idea but I hope so, could do with him off the bench or even from the start if he's fit and it means Jack can play in the middle not out left. I'd play Traore right and Trez left either side of Watkins.

There is no way he is starting, and I'd be surprised if he makes the bench after just arriving over the weekend. He may not have even met his teammates yet if they have been preparing for todays game.

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
                     Luiz
          McGinn - Hourihane
       Trez - Watkins - Grealish

Pretty standard team. I want to be confident but this is Villa so..

• Like 2

Not optimistic.

That's not a gripe as i think the players did well in those last few games to get out of the shit and can't complain at the work done in the close season, but i think i'll need to see us play with more energy and threat in attack over the first few games to start to believe.

I'll go with a 0-0 or a 1-1 tonight.

Martinez, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Hourahane, Grealish, Watkins, Trez

A win would be nice. I think the starting is 11 will be the one that was said in the 2nd post. Maybe Elmo instead of Cash or even Ramsey instead of Hourihane, but I doubt that.

Very hard to predict the outcome, I think. So hard to see where we are atm. How much impact will Ollie and Martinez have? How much impact will sheffield have from having played one game already? How much have last summers new signings learned? How much better do the team knew each other? But I feel quite optimistic so I say 3-1. Which probably means it'll end 0-3.

Excited that it's all started again. UTV!

55 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

We DO really need to start this season with a bang,otherwise the lads could get depressed and our season could get into a right spiral.

All i ask for is some fight and desire and players not giving up if we go a goal down.

Look at Leeds when they got behind against Liverpool. They kept believing and kept coming at them.

That's what i want to see. The right mentality.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I'd be surprised if Hourihane doesn't start. He was a huge part of our last 4-5 games last season. 

I also don't think Cash will start at RB, expect Elmo to line up there. Martinez will start in goal as we need his influence between the sticks. 

Obviously I can't guarantee it but I absolutely guarantee this won't happen.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
                     Luiz
          McGinn - Hourihane
       Trez - Watkins - Grealish

Pretty standard team. I want to be confident but this is Villa so..

Yep, think this will be the team that starts tonight.  Will be tough and a tight game, but can see a 1-0 or 2-1 winning start. Watkins nailed on to score.

1 hour ago, John said:

Today's the day. Our first league game of the season and although few believed it likely, when we faced the final four games of last season, it really is a Premier League match! We start the game level on points with WBA, Southampton, Fulham and West Ham, who currently occupy the bottom four places. They happen to have had a head start on us though, having played and lost their first two league games. A point tonight would ensure that we were no lower than 13th tonight, a win would take us into the top half of the table, at this very early stage. 

This clearly will not be an easy game. Chris Wilder has made The Blades into a strong team, with a strong emphasis on the "team" aspect. On paper we look the better team, but games are not played on paper and last season's league table shows that of these two promoted clubs, they had the significantly better season.  

Their fans don't seem to like us too much. That was the case before our meeting at Villa Park last season and it seems even more the case now, as is demonstrated by the following two comments taken from S2 4SU.com:

"Your captain looks like a girl and spends most of his time rolling around on the floor, and your manager hasn't had a single original thought in his head since he managed in league 1."

"Villa fans really are the deludamol fueld pigs of Birmingham, twice down there they have got of the hook against us and managed a draw. I really do hope we crush them to dust they shouldn't even be in the Premier League"

I did find one view from N20 Blade, that I didn't have a problem with though:

"Villa have improved massively on paper and we haven't. Watkins would score more goals for us than our current strikers and Martinez is a much better keeper than Ramsdale. Wilder must be depressed by what's happening at United, or more precisely what's not happening. The only chance we have of avoiding a relegation fight is Wilder himself. No chance will we finish above Villa this season. Whilst their fans' entitlement is annoying it's predictable. They always have been and always will be a bigger club than us." 👍

Sheffield United's last win at Villa Park was recorded in 1966. Since then, we have won 7 home league games against them (the last one in 2007) and have drawn 6 (including the last 3). Overall, we have won 59 and have drawn 32, of the 128 league meetings that there have been between the two clubs. 

I'm sure that we will hear a lot about the "goal" that wasn't, that played a key role in enabling us to take a crucial point from last season's game at Villa Park. I suspect this season, may be a little different though. Sheffield United face potential "second season syndrome" and now have a Yorkshire derby to think about, as an alternative to that "ghost goal". We have strengthened well, choose not to be fixated by tonight's opponents and instead look to be comfortably clear of the relegation zone this season.  There have been a few unexpected results to date this season. This probably has the look of a draw about it, but let's get some points on the board early. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:

The problem is John, its easy ,as you know, to take a few sample quotes from opposing fans and think it represents their whole fan base.....and we know, it doesn't....they are just hillbillies with nothing between their ears.

Sheff Utd have had the better of the spoils in recent years mainly through balance and an appetite for work as opposed to individual brilliance.

We have no excuses not to match that work rate and impose our better individual talent.

UTV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

I did find one view from N20 Blade, that I didn't have a problem with though:

"Villa have improved massively on paper and we haven't. Watkins would score more goals for us than our current strikers and Martinez is a much better keeper than Ramsdale. Wilder must be depressed by what's happening at United, or more precisely what's not happening. The only chance we have of avoiding a relegation fight is Wilder himself. No chance will we finish above Villa this season. Whilst their fans' entitlement is annoying it's predictable. They always have been and always will be a bigger club than us." 👍

I'd say that comment went down like a shit sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2