Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

I would accept 17th now after last season. I still think we are still weak in midfield with no out and out DM. I'm also assuming Konsa is injured, Hause may start tonight.......

Hard game tonight for us, Sheffield are hard enough to play against anyway, add that to the fact they have played their first game and lost and it all adds up to them being very much up for it. 

Hard fought 2-2 draw, think the first 15 minutes will be chaos. UTV

• Confused 3

I wouldn't class this as a "must win" game but I could see an argument that it is a "must not lose" kind of match so I would probably be reasonably happy with a point (& a good performance).

If we were to lose this we then go to Craven Cottage and although Fulham have started the season poorly, they were the better team for long spells at Elland Rd and after two straight defeats they will be extremely fired up for our visit so it won't be easy. 2 defeats then going into Liverpool and Leicester games and things could easily look so bleak, hence why I can see why fans could be nervous for tonight, I know I am.

That's the worst case scenario though.

I hope we come flying out of the traps and match them for fitness and aggression, if we do that then we have a good chance of at least a point. Their game plan / style of play / team shape - should be well known to us (& all opponents) now so we have no excuses really.

Barring injuries I think the team Smith will start with is - Martinez; Cash, Targett, Konsa, Mings; Luiz, McGinn, Hourihane; Trez, Watkins and Grealish.

Hopefully Traore is eligible to feature at some point.

Prediction 1-1.

UTV

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I would accept 17th now after last season. I still think we are still weak in midfield with no out and out DM. I'm also assuming Konsa is injured, Hause may start tonight.......

Hard game tonight for us, Sheffield are hard enough to play against anyway, add that to the fact they have played their first game and lost and it all adds up to them being very much up for it. 

Hard fought 2-2 draw, think the first 15 minutes will be chaos. UTV

Our best player was Dougie playing as a DM. Im bored of people saying we need a massive defensive midfielder. It's dougie's best position. Even before we bought him all the scouting reports mentioned his best position is DM. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I hope we are fit enough, united were absolutely gassed after 60 minutes in their first game of the season. 

That will be interesting. Both sides who started their season this weekend have been battered by sides who were playing their second game (United & Burnley). You could argue Leicester home to Burnley is a home win anyway, but the United result and performance would give you pause. Fingers crossed it's not the case here.

• Like 1

I’ve managed to get to Kos for a weeks holiday and have found a bar to watch the game in tonight. I get pulled up by loads of football fans because of my villa tattoo when abroad. Met an Arsenal and Chelsea fan both of which were very sound (what an unGodly alliance) but we also have a Leeds and Wolves fan who have “made themselves known” is all I’ll say. Be nice to find them by the pool tomorrow after a Villa win is all I’m saying. I’m going to go 2-0! Don’t underestimate United though, whatever their squad they finished high last season for a reason but hopefully we can get the job done and crack on. UTV! 

12 minutes ago, bose said:

Is Traore available for selection?

No idea but I hope so, could do with him off the bench or even from the start if he's fit and it means Jack can play in the middle not out left. I'd play Traore right and Trez left either side of Watkins.

Sorry guys but buying a striker that scores, a very good 'keeper and a new right back does not make me think we will do much better than last season in terms of performances so right ow, until further additions are made, I think we will be sluggish at the start. Therefore, I am predicting a 1-1 draw with a controversial going against us to even out that massive mess with the goal-line tech that failed in this fixture post lockdown. Expect the dumbass ref or VAR to either send one of ours off or give them a dodgy decision.