Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

Just now, AVFCforever1991 said:

I know, it's horrific...

We haven’t bid for him so I wouldn’t be concerned at this point. Hell of a lot of bs out there (online).

All we can do is be patient and wait and see.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I'm pretty concerned if true. Will change my perception of the competence of people running the club. 

It's not that bad I don't think.

It's signing a reliable PL player.

One who has performed as well, not a bad player.

No excuse for signing bad players.

Edited by Tomaszk

I wouldn’t have minded Wilson at the reported £10m relegation release clause but £22m is ridiculous.

Sounds that the closer we get to the season start, the more fees seem to be getting higher.....Cash now £16m, Watkins £28m and now Wilson £22m.

I really get frustrated at times like this.

Of all the strikers we have been linked to this is rather underwhelming.

Wilson also doesn't fit with the club's philosophy regarding the age limit.

I guess if this does happen its because we have failed to sell Aston Villa to some of the more fanciful names we have been linked with, that would be an enormous failure if true.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3

I've always been a big fan so excited by this. I wanted to see a balance of proven premiership experience and hes also a proven goalscorer at that level. Hes always looked solid against us and leads from the front, can play wide or through the middle and would complement a number of formations. Get him in, it's not my money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't understand the Wilson bashing if we sign him. He has been largely injury free for 3 seasons, is the right side of 30, and has had a couple of England caps. He would be  a solid signing.

Given our current options up top are a youth payer who never scores, a new signing with a crisis of confidence, and our record signing is still injured, this would be a massive boost.

We barely stayed up last year because we didn't have someone to convert the chances made to goals. Wilson would chip in with about 10 goals we should make us compete with the midtable clubs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think we need serious pace injected into the 11. Out wide on both flanks and up front. If this is true, which it may not be, then I wouldn't be overjoyed at all. He's hardly prolific, past his prime, doesn't have great pace and would potentially take up a large portion of the transfer budget. It's a no from me if true at 22m or near it. If we could pick him up for 10m and 60k-75k a week(which I doubt), I'd see it as potentially shrewd business given our back up is Samatta and Davis. Anything more and I wouldn't be impressed at all.

I'd rather see us go in a splash the budget on 3-4 players rather than spread it around again on several stocking fillers. I don't know wtf is going on though so I'm just spouting my thoughts into this little corner of the internet.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't understand the Wilson bashing if we sign him. He has been largely injury free for 3 seasons, is the right side of 30, and has had a couple of England caps. He would be  a solid signing.

Given our current options up top are a youth payer who never scores, a new signing with a crisis of confidence, and our record signing is still injured, this would be a massive boost.

We barely stayed up last year because we didn't have someone to convert the chances made to goals. Wilson would chip in with about 10 goals we should make us compete with the midtable clubs.

Mostly injury free last season. 8 goals in 35. Rather have who we already have and get better

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

If we could pick him up for 10m and 60k-75k a week(which I doubt), I'd see it as potentially shrewd business given our back up is Samatta and Davis. Anything more and I wouldn't be impressed at all.

Pretty much where I stand on it. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Why did you ignore the "get better" as in get better than Wilson

oh, that didn't make sense in the original post. 

I'd all be for getting better if available and interested. I'm not sure there is a wide range of players out there who want to come.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

oh, that didn't make sense in the original post. 

I'd all be for getting better if available and interested. I'm not sure there is a wide range of players out there who want to come.

Also I think Samatta will improve massively on post lockdown form

Davis isn't PL quality. Should be loaned or sold

Edited by Kiwivillan

I don't mind Wilson, the negatives are he didn't have a great season last season, has had injury problems and seems to be on a hefty wage.

On the other hand, to refute what some have said amongst all the negativity on here: he's not past his prime (he's 28, he's in his prime), he's scored 40 goals in 126 apps in the Prem, compared to the solitary goal our only two fit strikers currently at the club have. OK it's not necessarily prolific in the way Kane or Aguero is but it's a hell of a lot better than what Davis and Samatta can give.

There are better options than Wilson (Tammy, Edouard) but it seems we're not going to be getting them. Wilson + Watkins could be a good move as I think Watkins on his own is too much of a risk given he hasn't played at this level before.