Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

Resale values are unpredictable. We signed Hogan when he was 24 and will have to give him away for virtually nothing. Kodj was signed when he was 26 and again we got hardly anything back. Gestede also came in when he was 26.

No guarentee with players around 25 either. If Wilson scores 10 + this season we could just move him on for a decent fee next summer if we wanted to.

Edit: Given we have Grealish, Luiz, McGinn and Mings with a combined value of over 150m if we sold them all in one summer we are in a better position to take punts on players who we might make a small loss on.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Resale values are unpredictable. We signed Hogan when he was 24 and will have to give him away for virtually nothing. Kodj was signed when he was 26 and again we got hardly anything back. Gestede also came in when he was 26.

Yes, because they're all shit.

It's easy not to sign shit players.

Do that and we'll either be able to use them or teams will be banging down the door trying to give us money for them.

This guy has scored plenty of PL goals and is proven at this level. I don’t get the argument that a £28m Watkins with one good Championship season is the more logical signing. I agree £20m would be too much but it’s far less of a risk IMO

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This guy has scored plenty of PL goals and is proven at this level. I don’t get the argument that a £28m Watkins with one good Championship season is the more logical signing. I agree £20m would be too much but it’s far less of a risk IMO

Abraham scored 15 for Chelsea and didn't play whole season after good season in Championship with us. Watkins good xg and conversion rate all inside the box. I think you're completely out of touch with football if you think Wilson is better signing than Watkins. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No guarentee with players around 25 either. If Wilson scores 10 + this season we could just move him on for a decent fee next summer if we wanted to.

Edit: Given we have Grealish, Luiz, McGinn and Mings with a combined value of over 150m if we sold them all in one summer we are in a better position to take punts on players who we might make a small loss on.

Resale values can be unpredictable but there are things you can do to help make them more predictable.

in the long run over a handful of seasons resale values are important they are one of the key factors in the clubs ability to keep investing in new players

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Abraham scored 15 for Chelsea and didn't play whole season after good season in Championship with us. Watkins good xg and conversion rate all inside the box. I think you're completely out of touch with football if you think Wilson is better signing than Watkins. 

That's Abraham playing with the likes of William, Mount, Pedro and Pulisic creating chances in abundance and then Watkins against Championship defenders/goalkeepers rather than Premier League defenders/goalkeepers with Benrahma creating chances.

The gulf in class defenders/goalkeepers wise is there. It's fine comparing expected goals/conversation rates in strikers in the same division but Wilson has been facing sterner tests for years compared to Watkins. 

I'm not digging at Watkins here because I like the idea of him coming in but it's not simple to put the 2 players head to head. 

Useless has tried to explain Wilsons goals to minutes ratio too. That doesn't translate to impressive fantasy football points for a player but this is real life, not fantasy football. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My new main annoyance is all these guys who immediately leap to telling everyone about the player's 'resale value', as if they're considering whether to buy a second home or something.

Even if he has 'no resale value', which is nothing more than an educated guess, maybe he leaves for nothing after 5 years and 60 Premier League goals.

Not saying it shouldn't even be a point of consideration, but I think 'will this guy be a good signing for the team' is an awful lot more important, especially for a team that stayed up on the last day.

And the answer is still no.

Wilson or Baston? 

Wilson or Samatta?

Wilson or Vassilev?

He's nowhere near being the final piece in the jigsaw, but if we have an injury crisis like we did around January last season, who would be best coming off the bench? (Yes i know Baston's gone).

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If West Ham were to sign Benrahma after getting Bowen last season and we ended up with Wilson I'd be pretty dejected

I see your point but what if Benrahma wants to stay in London? Players fpr one reason or another choose one club over many others that may be in for him. its not a sign of weakness from our part - or a failure - just what happens at transfer time.

2 minutes ago, peterw said:

Wilson or Baston? 

Wilson or Samatta?

Wilson or Vassilev?

He's nowhere near being the final piece in the jigsaw, but if we have an injury crisis like we did around January last season, who would be best coming off the bench? (Yes i know Baston's gone).

Wilson is probably the striker that would be injured in all fairness..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, peterw said:

Wilson or Baston? 

Wilson or Samatta?

Wilson or Vassilev?

Vassilev isn't a striker.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Wilson is probably the striker that would be injured in all fairness..

He had those major injuries a few seasons ago, but apart from those he doesn't really get injured often. Last time he was sidelined was a year and a half ago. In that time, Davis must have been injured like 10 different times. 

• Like 1