Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I don't mind Wilson, the negatives are he didn't have a great season last season, has had injury problems and seems to be on a hefty wage.

On the other hand, to refute what some have said amongst all the negativity on here: he's not past his prime (he's 28, he's in his prime), he's scored 40 goals in 126 apps in the Prem, compared to the solitary goal our only two fit strikers currently at the club have. OK it's not necessarily prolific in the way Kane or Aguero is but it's a hell of a lot better than what Davis and Samatta can give.

There are better options than Wilson (Tammy, Edouard) but it seems we're not going to be getting them. Wilson + Watkins could be a good move as I think Watkins on his own is too much of a risk given he hasn't played at this level before. 

But Tammy and Edouard aren’t the only options out there that are better than Wilson. If that’s our extensive recruitment research we have a problem or that is the final result from our research we have a major problem.  My seven year old nephew would be better at our recruitment research.

• Like 3

This guy will do a job.Probably the type of experience knowledgeable forward play we haven’t seen at Villa Park for some time.

Maybe the younger more exciting signings will arrive who knows.

One thing though....all the links to exciting players have been mostly dismissed on here.

A similar type of link with an uninspiring type of signing is treated like it’s definitely happening.

• Like 3

For me if fit Wilson is just what we should be looking for. He knows the league, knows how to score in it, isn’t too old and can offer something different. Wesley can learn off him, as can the young bucks in the academy. I also think Samatta will improve the longer he’s in England and so him coming off the bench will push Wilson on. 
Wilson could have the impact like Ings last season.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

It could be a very clever signing, he looked unbelievable just before his injuries and I'm sure we will make more opportunities for him than he had last year. 

What with the wingers we haven’t brought? Or a team that only just beat Bmouth to avoid relegation? Key phrase as well ‘before injuries’ plus he didn’t look unbelievable he had one half decent season scoring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What with the wingers we haven’t brought? Or a team that only just beat Bmouth to avoid relegation? Key phrase as well ‘before injuries’ plus he didn’t look unbelievable he had one half decent season scoring.

In the half decent season who followed up on his 20 goals from the championship the season before? 

He scored 15 goals the season before last

We created alot of chances last season, what's you point about the wingers we haven’t bought? 

Who does your nephew think we should sign? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wilson got more yellow cards than goals last season and scored 1 after football resumed and scored 3 goals after October while playing nearly every game

He also scored 8 overall in 2911 minutes, the much criticized Trezeguet got 6 Premier League goals in 1951 minutes

Edited by Zatman

23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

he's a"steady eddy" we going to know what we're getting out of him... Bang average.

Yet, maybe that's what we need.

He's not for me, i'd like someone who has the potential to be better than Wilson 

We don't give potential time to develop though, everyone wrote off Wesley before his injury

And Samatta is a lost cause after about 10 games during a pandemic. 

Been doing some snooping around and it seems Newcastle are quite confident of getting Fraser AND Wilson?

Imagine if this is all again press miscalculation 😂.

I sometimes wonder if we purposely send the press in wrong directions so we can get on with what we are actually doing in peace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Been doing some snooping around and it seems Newcastle are quite confident of getting Fraser AND Wilson?

Imagine if this is all again press miscalculation 😂.

I sometimes wonder if we purposely send the press in wrong directions so we can get on with what we are actually doing in peace.

I really hope so & shut everyone up with some stunning signings out of the blue!

• Like 1

I love that people are dismissing his poor goal return this season and mention that he scored 14 the year before. Surely this season's return is more valuable information than the year before. 

He very offers little build up, which was Wesley's and Tammy's better attributes. I just can't see this being a good signing. 

24 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

This guy will do a job.Probably the type of experience knowledgeable forward play we haven’t seen at Villa Park for some time.

Maybe the younger more exciting signings will arrive who knows.

One thing though....all the links to exciting players have been mostly dismissed on here.

A similar type of link with an uninspiring type of signing is treated like it’s definitely happening.

Question What GIF by joeburger

10 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

In the half decent season who followed up on his 20 goals from the championship the season before? 

He scored 15 goals the season before last

We created alot of chances last season, what's you point about the wingers we haven’t bought? 

Who does your nephew think we should sign? 

Was only counting his PL 5 seasons so half decent was his 15 goals. 

We created more than Bmouth but not vast amounts, we need new forward wingers to create chances to take some pressure off Jack.

Nephew likes Tammy, Sarr, Billing and wants Milner back (kept telling him he used to play for us). Obviously some availability issues but not a bad pick for a seven year old.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But Tammy and Edouard aren’t the only options out there that are better than Wilson. If that’s our extensive recruitment research we have a problem or that is the final result from our research we have a major problem.  My seven year old nephew would be better at our recruitment research.

Yes I do agree our recruitment seems to be below par. We seem to mainly be scouting the Championship (Smith's former club Brentford in particular) and relegated clubs. Obviously we looked a bit in Germany with the Rashica and McKennie links but that's about it. I wonder what on Earth Lange has been brought in for, he doesn't exactly seem to be throwing up any interesting hidden gems from what I can see or suggesting any leftfield players we could take a look at. 

Based on this very underwhelming window, Wilson for me isn't a bad signing. But given we have had links to Rashica, McKennie, Tammy and Trippier throughout the summer, to end up with who I suspect we will end up with will be a huge disappointment. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

he's a"steady eddy" we going to know what we're getting out of him... Bang average.

Yet, maybe that's what we need.

He's not for me, i'd like someone who has the potential to be better than Wilson 

Agree - think this is reaction to last summer when we went hunting for hidden  gems that turn out to PL superstars .....as you say we look like going the safer route this time.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes I do agree our recruitment seems to be below par. We seem to mainly be scouting the Championship (Smith's former club Brentford in particular) and relegated clubs. Obviously we looked a bit in Germany with the Rashica and McKennie links but that's about it. I wonder what on Earth Lange has been brought in for, he doesn't exactly seem to be throwing up any interesting hidden gems from what I can see or suggesting any leftfield players we could take a look at. 

Based on this very underwhelming window, Wilson for me isn't a bad signing. But given we have had links to Rashica, McKennie, Tammy and Trippier throughout the summer, to end up with who I suspect we will end up with will be a huge disappointment. 

I mean, if you're judging the scouting team by what the newspapers are reporting I think that's well wide of the mark. We really have no clue what we're doing behind the scenes and who are targets are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

We don't give potential time to develop though, everyone wrote off Wesley before his injury

And Samatta is a lost cause after about 10 games during a pandemic. 

I’m surprised by that notion for Wesley. He was mostly shit yes, however when he was good, he was real good. Shame he got injured, because A whole season would of evened out the yoyoness in his form. Maybe the fans would of had a different tone towards him. guess we never know