Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are people talking about Callum Wilson as if he's Daniel Struddige or someone, he's hardly missed any games through injury in the last two seasons and his goal record is excellent.  Just had a look at the Newcastle forum to see their reaction to him potentially signing for them and it's nowhere near as negative as on here, can only think people see other people being negative about it and just copy, and see stats like only getting double figures in one season and don't look any deeper into them.

Before they joined Southampton and Wolves Ings and Jiminez didn't look very prolific on first look barely ever getting into double figures, but they had excellent goals to minutes ratios, proving that when they're on the pitch they score goals, and the same is true for Wilson.

He had 1 good season in the Prem scoring 14 goals and the rest have been shite 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Wilson had a worse record than Wesley last season, why do people want him so much when Wesley got so much stick?

Because he's played for England, it's certainly a low bar.

Wesley would've outscored Wilson had he played the remainder of the season. And gets slated every game, but all of a sudden 8 goals in fine because he's had a run out for England...

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

He hasn't played 126 full games in the premier league, some of those 126 games will be where he's only been on the pitch for fifteen minutes or whatever. If you look at his goals to minutes ratio in the premier league it's more like 41 goals in 106 games and in that time he's also provided 13 assists, that's 54 times he's been directly involved with a goal in 106 games worth of football in the premier league.

I can understand the reservations about his age and past injury record, and even finding it a bit of a boring signing, but anyone saying that his record in the premier league is poor, is just wrong.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He averages about 12 goals a season with 41 goals to 126 matches. 

That's not excellent at all in my book, but each to their own. 

And that's also 5 pens and 3 missed pens. 

A goal every 364th minute last season. Played almost 2900 minutes in the league.

Wesley had a 358 minutes per goal average over 1800 minutes in the league. He also managed 4 minutes for Brazil in a friendly :D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

He hasn't played 126 full games in the premier league, some of those 126 games will be where he's only been on the pitch for fifteen minutes or whatever. If you look at his goals to minutes ratio in the premier league it's more like 41 goals in 106 games and in that time he's also provided 13 assists, that's 54 times he's been directly involved with a goal in 106 games worth of football in the premier league.

I can understand the reservations about his age and past injury record, and even finding it a bit of a boring signing, but anyone saying that his record in the premier league is poor, is just wrong.

It's not awful, but it's not excellent by any stretch. 

9559 about 106 full matches. Or 2.8 seasons. 5 penalty goals. So around 12 goals a season like I said. Feel free to do a check on this mind. I'm utterly knackered and only half awake. 

14 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Wilson had a worse record than Wesley last season, why do people want him so much when Wesley got so much stick?

Wesley scored 5 in 21 - 0.24 goals a game

Wilson 7 in 35 - 0.2 goals a game. 

Yet some want Wilson to replace Wesley, while Wesley is the better goal scorer. 

• Like 1

If you were to guarantee both Wilson and Wesley 38 games in the premier league next season I know who I'd back to score the most goals and it wouldn't be Wesley, and I say that as someone who likes him and thinks that he's going to improve and become a very good player.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Do we only sign players based on last season? 

Wilson has performed in the prem and I haven't watched him much, but I'd be amazed if his general play was worse than Wesley. 

I have little doubt he'd contribute more. 

For the first time in many years, we can look at squad evolution rather than revolution. I'm not too surprised that Dean and co take a slightly safer approach to this window.

For every Benteke (for us), there's a Haller or Moise Kean in the offing. We've seen how long it can take for some players to settle. 

I expect the obvious gaps to be filled with solid but decent players first, before taking more of a perceived risk once they're in place.

Edited by StanBalaban
Spelling
  • Like 3

Just now, StanBalaban said:

For the first time in many years, we can look at squad evolution rather than revolution. I'm not too surprised that Dean and co take a slightly safer approach to this window.

For every Benteke (for us), there's a Haller or Moise Kean in the offing. We've seen how long is can take for some players to settle. 

I expect the obvious gaps to be filled to solid but decent players first, before taking more of a perceived risk once they're in place.

That's a good post. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not just about the goals but his general play. About doing the basics.

Wesley struggle with the basics. We've been through this so many times.

Yeah and every time you are wrong.  We’ve been through this so many times.

Just now, AVFCforever1991 said:

What's this obsession with prem experience? Quality > experience.

Well we did see the drawbacks to a lack of Prem experience last season. It'll be good to have players that can hit the ground running.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Well we did see the drawbacks to a lack of Prem experience last season. It'll be good to have players that can hit the ground running.

Not too hard though he may get injured again.

• Haha 1